Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

OK, best site (thread) around pictures and everything. Going on the Carnival Dream next month and wanted to take the family. Other than Bodden or other tours to drive us there, can we take a boat over their from the cruise terminal? So the boat may take us snorkeling at West End and maybe the Blue Channel (I think it is called that)? We are not much into the just laying on the beach, so just doing a dedicated snorkeling trip would be better. So anyone done that and if so, how did you do it.

I also like where someone had gotten a 'guide' that may help them navigate around the different areas (wall, 13, 3, kidney), how do you go about that if you just taxi or go with a group to the beach area?

OK, best site (thread) around pictures and everything. Going on the Carnival Dream next month and wanted to take the family. Other than Bodden or other tours to drive us there, can we take a boat over their from the cruise terminal? So the boat may take us snorkeling at West End and maybe the Blue Channel (I think it is called that)? We are not much into the just laying on the beach, so just doing a dedicated snorkeling trip would be better. So anyone done that and if so, how did you do it.

I also like where someone had gotten a 'guide' that may help them navigate around the different areas (wall, 13, 3, kidney), how do you go about that if you just taxi or go with a group to the beach area?

If I understand this correctly... there is not a boat option from the cruise port (either one) to West Bay. Opposite sides of the island so one would have to go all the way around the tip in open water.

If you seek a dedicated snorkeling trip with as little hassle as possible go with Bodden OR better yet don't bother with West Bay an go with Upachaya instead.

If you are set on Blue Channel, have a look at Foster's web site they will sort transport and one of the guys working for them...Daniel will take your group out to Blue Channel, he is one of the few boat guys I know that gets in the water with his guests as a sorta guide. I was out with him last March.. he is a delightful guy, takes a life ring so you can find him and in case anyone gets tired.

Sorry, I can't help you with a guide in West Bay, I just swim out and keep my bearings by checking to see where the beach is.

I just returned from a Carnival Liberty cruise and the info in this thread made all of the difference!!!!! I took a cab to the West End...Infinity Bay Resort area... and did some of the best snorkeling I have ever done! For $40/person we got a cab for the day and entrance into the to Mayan Princess Resort...a private resort where we had access to the pool, restruants, bars, beach chairs...well worth the $10 cover charge! The beach was beautiful and was just one property away from Infinity Bay snorkeling area. We found the 'kidney' shaped sandbar just beyond a pier and followed it out to the reef. It was great to see such abundant fish life and healthy reefs! I live in the Florida Keys so I am also pretty picky about where I snorkel...I want to actually SEE something! So thank you for this great thread!!!!

We were there on CCL Dream May 2nd, we did the Tabyana Beach Break through Carnival. I was like a kid in a candy shop! Never have I had so much fun. We bought our own snorkel gear and man o man, I did not want to leave. Can't wait to go back next year. By the way the Monkey La La's were the bomb!

Thanks to all on this thread for the great info!

Edited by saltybones

Life is full of regrets. For those who expect to see the island AND snorkel Westbay, manage your time carefully. We were there on 5-10 on Carnival Legend; got a late start (daughter); had our Bodden guide take us to the Garifuna who are on the east end. By the time we saw the sights and got to Westbay it was after 1230 (ship's time) and we had to leave by 2:00 for 3:00 sailaway. Enjoyed a meal and Monkey LaLas:) at Fosters, but, didn't get to snorkel the kidney. Saw enough to want to go back for a land vacation.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk 2

Life is full of regrets. For those who expect to see the island AND snorkel Westbay, manage your time carefully. Saw enough to want to go back for a land vacation.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk 2

This one made me smile........ Roatan seems to have a mystical magical aura ! I visited here in March of 2011 on a girls cruise (11 of us) and did a dive with West End Divers with SIL and niece. Ever since I have been telling my husband that we have to go to Roatan so he can dive here too!

YEEEEHAWWW - I just booked our one week land trip for June 30-July 7th. Have a 1 bedroom condo (beach FRONT) at Infinity Bay booked and I can't wait. I have dove all over (been certified since 1989)...... even the Red Sea while on a 15 day tour of Egypt. And I have to say that Roatan blew me away.

So here I sit with a big grin on my face :D

• 2 weeks later...
Have a peek at this map...

RoatanWestBay .com

If you look at the water in front of Infinity Bay you see a kidney shaped bit of sand... that is the channel out to the deeper water. If ya look down the page from Tabyana Beach you will see flora..that is the Wall. It is a wall of coral, the edge of the island in West Bay. I snorkle the whole bit between Infinity Bay and The Wall.

I read your post again..far left of the beach while facing the water is "the wall" but the reef is very shallow there and a bit beat up from people...Black Rock is father out from that area. Sadly, one can not see it on the map unless you know exaclty where it is.

It should be mentioned unless you and your group are strong swimmers or there are boats out past Black Rock..be very careful... the current hits the wall and you will end up past Light House point, in open water before you know what hit you.

Its all about perception and personal experience. You may not enjoy it in the least... I find the easy access delightful and the sea life plenty entertaining.

with all that said... I was snorkeling off the coast of Vietnam a few years go and was truly blown away by the life of the reef and abundance of critters.

We have snorkeled for 20 years also and have had the same problem as you. That is why we booked a cruise for the last two years that goes to Costa Maya. We knew it was a relatively new stop and thought the reef would be fresh. We were right. Shark tours was in a booth outside the entrance at the pier. We asked for a 2 stop snorkel trip both times. The reef there is beautiful now but in a few years, it will be like the others because the guides touch it and are reckless. There was 4 of us in the boat. We were all experienced.

• 1 month later...

I'll be snorkeling here in early October with my family of 5 (kids are all teenagers). I have a pretty significant fear of currents, due to a very scary encounter with a bad undertow in Hawaii when I was 15. I don't want to run into any problems here.

My question is whether we should only snorkel near the kidney, or if the water will still be calm over near Iguana Wall and the 3? I know we should avoid getting too close to the Black Rock area, since there's a possibility for strong currents there.

Edited by rockbock

Just came back from a one week stay on Roatan. We stayed at Infinity Bay - right on the beach.

We mostly dove with the on-site dive shop, but we did do some snorkeling right off the beach too.

We didn't find any current to deal with but I will say we did not really go down by Iguana wall. There really wasn't any reason to. We found lots of great reef to snorkel on, calm current-free water and had a blast. We didn't really even see anyone wearing a vest but if you are really skiddish - wear a snorkel vest.

We bought our own gear except for vests. We've been practicing (see below).

I read in a thread that you can rent just vests at no charge near Tabyana but I cannot find the thread.

Anyone know if this is still true?

Are the rental vests (either pay or free) snorkel vest that can be inflated and deflated or are they basic life vests?

P2290497.jpg

We bought our own gear except for vests.

I read in a thread that you can rent just vests at no charge near Tabyana but I cannot find the thread.

I actually asked this same question yesterday. I'm also interested in knowing if there is a place we can rent vests at no cost.

I actually asked this same question yesterday. I'm also interested in knowing if there is a place we can rent vests at no cost.

Everyone we ran in to the day we were there were charging for vest. (Not saying that there might be a place that doesn't...but I would think that they might rent the vest for free if you rent their snorkeling equipment...otherwise they are making no money).

I, too, have to ask "how can you RENT something for free ? "

I'm not sure, we snorkel without vests (we are both certified divers) but there's not too much "free" in Roatan. Things are very reasonable cost-wise - but free - mmmm don't count on it. These people are quite poor and are trying to make a living with the tourist trade. I would probably say if you can't afford a couple of bucks to rent a vest, bring your own.

BTW: we found the people there to be some of the friendliest and easy going around. And we have traveled the world.

I, too, have to ask "how can you RENT something for free ? "

I'm not sure, we snorkel without vests (we are both certified divers) but there's not too much "free" in Roatan. Things are very reasonable cost-wise - but free - mmmm don't count on it. These people are quite poor and are trying to make a living with the tourist trade. I would probably say if you can't afford a couple of bucks to rent a vest, bring your own.

BTW: we found the people there to be some of the friendliest and easy going around. And we have traveled the world.

I wouldn't have expected free either, but apparently it is at Chankanaab in Cozumel, so I thought it was worth asking.

I guess you pay admission to Chankanaab though, so they're sort of collecting money for it.

I wouldn't have expected free either, but apparently it is at Chankanaab in Cozumel, so I thought it was worth asking.

I guess you pay admission to Chankanaab though, so they're sort of collecting money for it.

Oh yeah, you pay for it in the admission. ;)

BTW: did the premier dolphin experience with my daughter there....... it was excellent. The dolphins are well cared for and happy...... and the encounter was amazing. I did spring for the pics that the photographer takes and am glad I did. He got some shots that are priceless.......

• 3 weeks later...

This is the best thread & it served me well when I was in Roatan in May. My husband & I went to Tabyana & the snorkeling was AMAZING!!!! The one point that I feel should be talked about more is how to get out of the coral maze. I had the most difficult time trying to find my way back to shore because the water was so shallow & the only way I could find to get out was to swim above the reef which would have damaged the reef. I tried swimming back towards the kidney but the current was kicking my butt. I tried swimming towards the iguana wall but couldn't find a route without any coral. Does anyone have a tried & true way to get out once you're in?

The only way I know that is not going to do at least some damage to the reef is through the "kidney". Any other way is just to shallow. This does not mean people don't do it. :) I swim back to the kidney.

Edited by Guest 2000

• 2 weeks later...
Where do you suggest leaving your "stuff" if you don't pay $40 at Infinity for a chair? Just wondering what to do with it while we are snorkeling or where is a cheaper place to rent a chair but still close to that area? Thanks in advance!

We did the Tabyana beach break, thru Carnival, and they had lockers you could rent. I think they were $3 each. Worked like a charm for us. Can't wait to go back in March & May of 2013. Snorkel Heaven:eek:

Where do you suggest leaving your "stuff" if you don't pay $40 at Infinity for a chair? Just wondering what to do with it while we are snorkeling or where is a cheaper place to rent a chair but still close to that area? Thanks in advance!

Bananarama is just up the beach a bit from the easy access snorkeling in front of Infinity. They have a transport/chair/potties package.. they also have lockers for rent.

Foster's does as well, they are farther up the beach. Foster's is at the quiet end of West Bay compared to Bananrama being a bit of a circus.

I agree if access to the West Bay snorkeling steps from your chair is the goal you are better off with Tabyana.

Edited by Guest 2000

Just a note - if you eat at any of the restaurants, they WILL let you use the bathrooms :D (Kind of like in Europe)

Unless you are wanting to use the pool at Infinity Bay, just find a good spot and ask how much the chairs/loungers are for a couple of hours. Thats what we did and I think we paid $5.00 a lounger at Bananarama. We had already negotiated with a taxi for the day ($15.00 per person X 3 = $45.00) and we had already eaten in West End Village after our dive. Just wanted a place to sit.