Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

This is a great thread, thanks! If we were interested in doing this on our own (as opposed to doing a ship excursion), is there an easy way to rent snorkel equipment and perhaps lockers from the shore, or is it best to have snorkel equipment to bring?

Also, about how much is a taxi from the port to Tabyana/Infinity?

Additionally, I'd also like to know how deep the kidney-shaped area and other channels are prior to the outer wall if anyone can comment on that.

Thanks so much!

I can only answer one of those...there are vendors walking up and down the beach (the day we were there) renting the equipment. So you won't have any problems renting all the snorkeling equipment and even snorkel vest.

We didn't use any lockers. We just sat our stuff on the beach.

I emailed Bananarama asking them about the resort being listed for sale... they had this to say.

"What we charge for is a day package that you can reserve that include transportation to the hotel and back to the dock , beach chair, and a free drink for $30 and for $5 more you can get snorkel gear. The idea of the package is to guarantee you a beach chair before they sell out as well as transportation. It is much cheaper than doing it all separate.

We do not let people from the beach just come and use the showers and restrooms, they are suppose to be for the paying customers eating and drinking at the Bar or restaurant.

A chair is $5, a bar drink is $3- $5 so you are paying $10 each way for your transportation and use of the facilities even if you don’t eat or drink.

Most land taxi’s charge from $25 to $40 each way just for the ride. Price also depends if you take a taxi or an excursion tour.

Bananarama has been for sale on and off for about 2 years. It went off the market during the recession and is now back up. It is a process that will take a long time to complete maybe even years to sale. I would not worry about any of the current packages that people have already booked. If it sold we would of course either pass on the information to the new owners or refund the money depending on what the guests prefer.

Let me know if you have any other questions. And let the people know they are free to contact me with any of their concerns.

In addition the web site says:

Additional amenities such as fresh water showers, lockers, kayaks, beach chairs and snorkeling gear are available for rent at our beach front Roatan Activities Center. We also have a variety of souvenirs and gift shop items for sale.

Bananrama is a good value.... but the snorkeling is far better at Tabyana. My guess is there are lockers at Tabyana as well.

There are two ports Mahogany Bay Taxi fees

And a bit of info about the taxi prices from Coxen Hole. Scroll down to the bottom.

I am fair poor at distance, and looking though water magnifies everything. As a guess, I mean guess 25 to 30 feet. Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?

emailed Bananarama people today as we have excursion booked for Jan - they don't expect any issues, don't really expect the place to sell too quickly - even if a buyer is found could take years to finalize. Add the classic 'if anything changes, we will let you know' - I'm OK with that reply for now:)

Thanks for the response, Guest 2000 - just trying to figure out all my options!

I asked about the snorkeling depth because I was curious how deep it would be in comparison to Xel-Ha, which is where I snorkeled most recently (and it was relatively shallow, I think... I'm not too good about underwater distance either). I just didn't want it to be "can barely see the bottom" deep where I was snorkeling :)

Thanks for the response, Guest 2000 - just trying to figure out all my options!

I asked about the snorkeling depth because I was curious how deep it would be in comparison to Xel-Ha, which is where I snorkeled most recently (and it was relatively shallow, I think... I'm not too good about underwater distance either). I just didn't want it to be "can barely see the bottom" deep where I was snorkeling :)

Oh no...you can see the bottom, heck you can see the bottom with Google earth. I have seen more than one flounder out there. But the sandy bottom is not really the interesting bit... the reef with all the corals, fishes and critters is the good bit..there are more spots than not where you can't get over the reef it is so close to the water line...this is why so many people talk about the channel through the kidney... easiest way to get out to the reef.

If you choose to go past the 1st wall to the outer wall, that is the spot were it gets tougher to see the bottom, a bit of the big blue out there..I can hang out for hours watching the big fish swim in from what seems no where...one heart beat there is no fish and the next HUGE fish from the deep blue. Tis cool!

Options are grand..enjoy the island!

Edited by Guest 2000

• 2 months later...
Will be snorkeling off Bananarama Jan 5, 2012 - any word on the weather or if the water is stirred up right now? As the cold front moves in to FL I am looking forward to my first Monkey Lala!

A post on the Roatan Trip Advisor forums this morning:

"Occasional shower, daytime highs around 27 - 28 C It sure as He!! beats the - 25 forecast for Montreal !"

I do not know the weather forecast but it is rainy season and a tropical island so anything is possible.

There is little see snorkeling off the Bananarama part of the beach, unless you swim out to the reef. You are far better off walking down to Infinity to swim through the channel to access the reef. Or walk all the way down to the "wall" and but that is tricky cause ya have to find a way through the reef.

Enjoy the island!

I found this on a friends facebook page this morning... it is from yesterday. He said something about diving on his Bday.

"It was a great birthday, the sun was out, the water was clear and calm and the friends were exceptional."

Seems, at yesterday at least, the weather was not effecting the water.

We have a reservation with Bodden tours and are considering adding on the Blue Channel snorkeling. Has anyone been there? It sounds like there is plenty of good snorkeling from the beach, but it is only $20 to add the off shore onto our package. What would you recommend? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading this thread over the past couple of nights. So if we swim out via the kidney in front of Infinity, and then head south (left), where is it that you can get back to the beach. From what I read, there are many spots where the reef system is too close to the surface, but you don't have to swim back up to the kidney channel system in order to get back to the beach do you?

Once on the "Kidney" area there is only one way to get out the other side. If you follow the left hand wall swimming out you will find the why out to see.

Post 18 in this thread gives a better view of the way out.

Edited by Guest 2000

Been reading this thread over the past couple of nights. So if we swim out via the kidney in front of Infinity, and then head south (left), where is it that you can get back to the beach. From what I read, there are many spots where the reef system is too close to the surface, but you don't have to swim back up to the kidney channel system in order to get back to the beach do you?

Just there on Jan 5 - could easily identify the kidney from the beach - went out thru it took a left down almost all the way to the rocks on the far side of Tabyana then I think we may have come back up on a lightly further out edge of the reef - it was way deep but did not seem to have as many visible fish as closer in. We ended up out at a catamaran in the water & then had to try to figure out where to swim thru to get back in - that was the hardest part.

I loved the snorkeling, hated the beach - far too crowded & if you expressed an interest in any of the kids selling stuff you then got swarmed. If you are at the thirsty turtle / bananarama - make sure you bring infant formula powder for local assistance & ask for a 'whatever Steve' at the bar - was a great drink!

Pretty much the whole of West Bay Beach from Henry Morgan to Tabyana is crowded.

If snorkeling is the goal you are better off at Tabyana.

Bananarama is very popular and from my perspective limited on space cause the beach is smaller and there are so many boats in the water.

We just got back from our cruise last week and this thread was invaluable. In the end we decided not to try to head out on our own and booked a day at Tabyana through the ship. We found the facilities and beach at Tabyana to be fine and not too crowded when we were there.

But the snorkeling! It was fantastic. Better than what we found in the Maldives. The overhead map of West Bay with the kidney shape was invaluable and I really hope that we can return in the next year or so.

The information in the post absolutely made our holiday. Thanks!!

We just got back from our cruise last week and this thread was invaluable. In the end we decided not to try to head out on our own and booked a day at Tabyana through the ship. We found the facilities and beach at Tabyana to be fine and not too crowded when we were there.

But the snorkeling! It was fantastic. Better than what we found in the Maldives. The overhead map of West Bay with the kidney shape was invaluable and I really hope that we can return in the next year or so.

The information in the post absolutely made our holiday. Thanks!!

I am pleased indeed to know this thread was helpful.

I am also glad ya had a good time.

thanks for all the helpful info on this thread.

We will be in Roatan in Feb on the Norwegian Spirit. we plan to do the trip to Tabayana from the ship. We have snorkels and masks. Are fins needed to snorkel here? If so can they be rented and what $$.

Also I have looked at the map and see the kidney area, it appears there is a shadow of a channel going out to that "canal" from there you head left, where is the wall? And where do you head back to shore?

Thanks

thanks for all the helpful info on this thread.

We will be in Roatan in Feb on the Norwegian Spirit. we plan to do the trip to Tabayana from the ship. We have snorkels and masks. Are fins needed to snorkel here? If so can they be rented and what $$.

Also I have looked at the map and see the kidney area, it appears there is a shadow of a channel going out to that "canal" from there you head left, where is the wall? And where do you head back to shore?

Thanks

Good Morning,

Rest assured once you are in the kidney area the only way out the other side is to follow the inside edge of the kidney to a place where you can get farther out, the 1st reef wall travels both directions from the channel you came through. If you want to go to the second reef wall, swim across the large sand area, the second wall in is in much deeper water.

When I snorkel out there I follow the 1st reef wall to the left as far as I can go( ya hit the Iguana Wall of West Bay) then I swim out to the second wall and follow it back to the kidney area channel, or flip flop. There are days I swim to the right but the farther you go the more you have to be concerned about boats.

While there are other places through the reef they are not only difficult to find but the water is so shallow damage to the reef is a problem.

If you are a strong swimmer I don't think you need fins, you will not be out running sharks and the current is not so difficult a thing. My guess is fins can be rented from any of the dive operations or I believe I have heard about guys offering them on the beach, apologies I have no idea of the price.

We will be taking a "Zip-Line and Beach" excursion, and for the "beach portion", they will drop us off at Foster's. Obviously, one could walk from Foster's to the "kidney", do some snorkeling, and then walk back to Foster's. But if time or fatigue are an issue, can one take a water taxi to and from the pier in front of Foster's to the water taxi pier in front of Infinity Bay? In other words, do the taxis run a circuit between the various West Bay Beach piers, or do they just go to/from those piers and destinations elsewhere on the island? Thanks.

We will be taking a "Zip-Line and Beach" excursion, and for the "beach portion", they will drop us off at Foster's. Obviously, one could walk from Foster's to the "kidney", do some snorkeling, and then walk back to Foster's. But if time or fatigue are an issue, can one take a water taxi to and from the pier in front of Foster's to the water taxi pier in front of Infinity Bay? In other words, do the taxis run a circuit between the various West Bay Beach piers, or do they just go to/from those piers and destinations elsewhere on the island? Thanks.

Jimmy.....the water taxis travel between West Bay (where you will be at) and the little laid back town of West End, about a 15 minute trip. If you are at Foster's the walk to Bananarama is no more than a few minutes and a few more to Infinity Bay and Tabyana. The "kidney" is right out infront of Infinity and just left of the taxi pier. Stop by Thursty Turtle at Bananarama and have a monkee lala or Port Royal beer. Ask for Carolina, our favorite server.

Have fun......