Alaska Cruise-Tour Help Needed

CMcG

That sounds right to me--but BQ and the others are the ones with the experience. You have to know your own pacing. We are fairly active 60-70 yrs young but have to consider that our endurance has shortened. We are looking forward to exploring a little in Anchorage.

The Island Princess gets into Whittier at 12:30 am and we disembark around 8:00 am. You will have car rental questions once you have the first step done of booking the cruise. There are a few threads about it.

I know all about that shortened endurance crap - I'm early 50's & hubby is 60 and we can't go like we used to. We went about 5 or 6 miles today in about 3 1/2 hours (included lunch for an hour) and I'm a hurting puppy - it is flat but the heat & humidity are killers. We get about 10 miles in each weekend to keep us in some sort of shape. On vacation in the BlueRidge I usually plan on 1 mile per hour so that I can gawk at the scenery and try not to trip over roots and rocks and deal with elevation changes.

I must have read something wrong - I thought Island Princess got in at 12:30pm - if we disembark at 8am then we probably could drive to Denali that same day. I'll worry about the car rental & lodging after I pin down what cruise we are doing. I just looked at airfare and died laughing - absolutely no direct flights - I hate flying - may even ship a box with our heavy stuff (hiking boots and large backpack) so packing is not too difficult. I've already decided to go to store when plane lands to pick up toiletries so I don't have to pack them and worry about what is in carryon.

Obviously the fun is just beginning :)

Cheryl

It certainly is a ride! You solve one question and it leads to another and on and on until one day you realize that it's mostly all in place. Took me from late April to mid July to get the framework in place. I booked the cruise quickly and then had to wait for flights to open up. Once I read CC and guide books--and asked lots of questions-- for several weeks it gave me the courage to plan excursions with independent companies and I had enough info to do the land portion ourselves.

I checked into the cost of shipping stuff to Vancouver --eek! It's cheaper just to pay for another case on the plane. Loads of CC threads on packing lists.

We fly to Vancouver via LA on United. I wanted to keep flights as simple as possible. The return is another challenge as most going East are overnight. I played around and found day time-early evening flights on Alaska Airlines from Anchorage to LA via Seattle. Overnight in LA then noonish flight to El Paso--I live in southern NM. It ended up being about the same cost even with the hotel at the airport. I hate flying overnight!

Enjoy :D

We did a NB Princess cruise mid-July and then planned our own land trip after that. Driving was very easy. We liked the flexible schedule of having a car (plus there were four of us so it was cheaper than paying for four of us on the land tour offered by the cruiseline). We stayed in a wonderful cabin (complete with kitchen- 2 queen beds- private deck- gas grill) 11 miles north of the park entrance. That way we saved on breakfasts and lunches (and even two dinners). Remember when you drive that sometimes there are accidents on the roads and since there are so few roads it might delay your arrival at a certain place (that's especially important to remember if you are catching the cruise that day!!). We didn't experience this, but I've read from other posters that this can happen. I think NB or SB is totally personal preference. We liked working up to Denali, Seward, and Homer rather than starting with them (even though we never saw the mountain). I thought Ketchican was a disappointment and wouldn't have wanted that to be my last port. It seemed our weather improved as we got further north. Enjoy the planning!:) Then you feel like you've done the trip twice!:D

There are still a lot of questions, so I still suggest the basics are figured out first. Determine, how many days you actually have, what areas are of interest in your time.

With a Princess itinerary, AND if you have 5 days, a basic recommended route I suggest is to bite the bullet and book a costly one way Whittier car rental and go direct to Seward. You can be out the 9am tunnel, and on some fantastic tour late morning/afternoon. This allows you to pack in some wonderful sightseeing. Alternatively, staying in Whittier, and taking advantage of a Prince William Sound boat tour, is also a fantastic opportunity. You would then just tkae the Alaska RR to Anchorage. If you rented a car, turn it in once in Anchorage, and get a cheaper round trip car.

I would suggest you consider round trip Anchorage, unless you are spending at least 2 nights in Fairbanks, and have clear desire to tour the area. There is no point going there, if not. The high costs of a one way car rental, and "wasted" time there that could be better used elsewhere, may offer a better itinerary. Have at least 2 nights at Denali Park.

As I have already suggested, IF you are at all interested in any other area, specifically Seward with the above example, do this FIRST, so as to put yourself in Denali Park, ideally June 1, and then with access to Eielson in Denali Park.

Take your time, and figure ALL the details out, before you get into any bookings. You don't want to be locked into some poor plans, that you later find out isn't what you want.

LutherAlum - thanks for another vote that driving ourselves will not be difficult. Would you share the name of the cabin? Haven't even thought about lodging yet - but never to early to gather ideas!

MyTime53 - I'd love to get all the basics booked - but this pesky thing called work keeps getting in the way - I already lost one cruise (a specialty cruise happening this week) because I found out about it too late & it sold out - so I'm trying to tie this one down asap (and probably making BQ crazy as I go off half cocked)!

BudgetQueen - you are so wonderful - full of great information for someone like me - thank you again for sharing! It just made sense to me timewise to just continue on north to finish up. Thanks for slowing me down a bit - like AlaskanB mentioned - everytime I think I figure one thing out several more questions get raised. Looks like heading back to Anchorage will save money on airfare as well as round trip car being less. I'm guessing even if we don't sightsee in Whittier that it makes sense to take the train to Anchorage to get a car if that is where we would drop the caroff before flying home - correct?

Cheryl

You can get a transfer on Princess that is a motor coach that takes you from the Whittier cruise terminal to the airport. Other companies provide transfers but some have had questionable reputations and I cannot distinguish one from the other. Perhaps someone can give you an alternative --I know there have been threads on the topic. I decided to go with Princess for peace of mind. My "spread sheet" :D shows it was $54 each and the Alamo car rental for three days is $170.56 ($39/day plus charges). I did not check Enterprise but did look at Hertz and Avis. I may have booked it through AARP--not sure. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29780509 on how to sort out Avis rental from Whittier.

BQ has great advice on how to maximize that first day. My first day is to explore a little of Anchorage as my great aunt lived there in the 1920s.

I plunged in and made my cruise reservations before anything else. The other reservations I have done in layers but always make sure I can live with cancellation policies and have trip insurance. Someone on the roll call thinks the ship is quite full so you may want to check on availability of the room you would like.

You can get a transfer on Princess that is a motor coach that takes you from the Whittier cruise terminal to the airport. Other companies provide transfers but some have had questionable reputations and I cannot distinguish one from the other. Perhaps someone can give you an alternative --I know there have been threads on the topic. I decided to go with Princess for peace of mind. My "spread sheet" :D shows it was $54 each and the Alamo car rental for three days is $170.56 ($39/day plus charges). I did not check Enterprise but did look at Hertz and Avis. I may have booked it through AARP--not sure. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29780509 on how to sort out Avis rental from Whittier.

BQ has great advice on how to maximize that first day. My first day is to explore a little of Anchorage as my great aunt lived there in the 1920s.

I plunged in and made my cruise reservations before anything else. The other reservations I have done in layers but always make sure I can live with cancellation policies and have trip insurance. Someone on the roll call thinks the ship is quite full so you may want to check on availability of the room you would like.

As of last night there were still mini-suites available as best I could tell. Going to try to pin it down tonight.

Forgot to ask - any particular reason for deck D? I understand why starboard side - although for most of the trip it doesn't look like it will matter much. Guess I better read the posts on cabin selection next!

I need to hire BudgetQueen as my personal trip planner/guide - just when I think I have a handle on it she gives me more to think about that will enhance our trip. Looks like we may end up with about 2.5 days at Denali for hiking - so glad everyone convinced me is the way to go for us - now that I've had a chance to look more closely I don't think the canned package would have suited us.

Cheryl

As of last night there were still mini-suites available as best I could tell. Going to try to pin it down tonight.

Forgot to ask - any particular reason for deck D? I understand why starboard side - although for most of the trip it doesn't look like it will matter much. Guess I better read the posts on cabin selection next!

I need to hire BudgetQueen as my personal trip planner/guide - just when I think I have a handle on it she gives me more to think about that will enhance our trip. Looks like we may end up with about 2.5 days at Denali for hiking - so glad everyone convinced me is the way to go for us - now that I've had a chance to look more closely I don't think the canned package would have suited us.

Cheryl

I honestly can't remember all my reasoning--we are in D709--: I did not want any public space above or under us; more aft so we can access the aft "balcony" and laundry; covered balcony --go here before you book http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html.; and a little lower down to reduce motion.

So glad you are getting enough time in Denali.

Cheryl

Keep asking your questions, this board is full of experts with accurate first hand knowledge. :)

Keep asking your questions, this board is full of experts with accurate first hand knowledge. :)

You may get tired of me before I get done. :)

But I can already tell that we will have a much better trip than if I had never found this place - can't thank you enough!

Cheryl

For those who have done Anchorage to Vancouver-cruisetour

Is it better to be port or starboard?

Makes no difference. At some point there will be scenic vistas on each side. BUT, if you are going to Glacier Bay- AND only want your glacier viewing from your cabin, the commentary and viewing match up best with a port side.

I have been given a trip (for 20 years of crazy service on the job) and chose an Alaska Cruise even though we normally go hiking on our vacations. Princess is looking like my best match for timing and itinerary - probably the Island Princess leaving 5/23/12 with the BA tour.

Can anyone speak to the issue of time available at McKinley and Denali Lodges when taking the 10 day Cruise-Tour? It looks like we will only have evenings available and I imagine we might take up some of that time with dinner most nights.:) With the included Denali bus tour would we have any time left for hiking on our own or some sort of arranged excursion?

I don't seem to find a schedule anywhere that gives any idea of times - just "evening at leisure" or something equally cryptic and helpful.

I wish the 11 day On Your Own Cruise-Tour had the extra day at either McKinley or Denali Lodge rather than Fairbanks - is it possible to arrange similar transportation (motorcoach and/or trains) with out being locked into the Princess schedule? It is too much driving to want to do it ourselves and still consider it a relaxing vacation.

Appreciate any and all ideas - I'll probably be back a lot as the planning has just begun!

Cheryl

Hello Cheryl,

We just returned in Aug. from 10 days land and 4 days Sea on Holland America. In a nutshell, we did some "extra" excursions on our own, had a wonderful time, so much to see!! Not much sleeping as we were up most "land" days at 6:00 AM. It was all worth it and I am planning on going back in 2012.

As far as driving on your own, my opinion: if you do land via cruiseline most likely you will be on bus, train a lot. Keep in mind that AK is not like FL ( I lived in South FL for 15 years). AK is much more vast and to get from point A to point B, depending on what you want to do, is a LOT of driving, unless you stay in Anchorage or Fairbanks on your own and use those cities as a "home" base which is what I am thinking of doing next year.

Hope this helps,

Planning is fun and work,:D

Good Luck

NewJersey222

Marie

Thanks Marie -

Right now my plan is to do a 7 day cruise then drive to Denali & spend our time there - one day to take the shuttle into the park & the other to do short hikes closer to the entrance & we'll probably have a partial day for sled dogs or exhibits there also before driving back to Anchorage to fly home.

Still haven't pinned anything down as husband now questions cruise - why not just do all on our own? I melted down!!! So now I'm trying to educate him about the distances & fact of no roads in the southeast and hope to get the cruise planning working again.

Appreciate your input - I had already given up on the cruise line land portion based on several of the earlier posts - but it always good to get more info.

I am enjoying this thread. You all have been very helpful, as I am in the planning stages of a Southbound cruise on the Island Princess next summer with 4 or 5 nights pre-cruise on our own. So far, I have the car booked, a rental deal from Enterprise in Anchorage thanks to a tip from another thread. ;) Still need to figure out where I am going with this car, but I have 11 months to figure it out.:D

for itinerary suggestions you could read thru trip reports on the Alaska forum of www.tripadvisor.com Some are cruises with 3-7 days land trips pre or post cruise so you might find some useful ideas on places to visit, where to stay, activities, etc.

alaska.org has great info on distances. scenic drives, destinations, towns, activities, etc. http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Also if you google any town's name with Visitor Information you'll find that many Alaska towns will send you a free visitor guide for their location.

ie http://www.seward.com/visit.htm

for itinerary suggestions you could read thru trip reports on the Alaska forum of www.tripadvisor.com Some are cruises with 3-7 days land trips pre or post cruise so you might find some useful ideas on places to visit, where to stay, activities, etc.

alaska.org has great info on distances. scenic drives, destinations, towns, activities, etc. http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Also if you google any town's name with Visitor Information you'll find that many Alaska towns will send you a free visitor guide for their location.

ie http://www.seward.com/visit.htm

Great sources of information, thanks!:)

OK - I think my original plan is back on board - YAY for cruise! But now my husband is questioning the timing since we plan on hiking at most every port.

Anybody know what we will run into on trails between May 23 & June 2? Will snow or mud be a problem? Will trails be in better shape later in June? The cruise I'm looking at has us in Ketchikan on May 25, Juneau on May 26 and Skagway on May 27 then I plan on us being in Denali National Park May 31 thru June 2.

We don't ever really have to deal with snow - we live in FL and usually vacation in the Blue Ridge Mountains. So I forgot all about that little detail - I'm so used to being able to hike pretty much whenever I want. Some mud we can deal with - just have to allocate a bit more for the cabin steward as a thank you for dealing with the mess we'll track in!

Appreciate any insight!

Cheryl

I am enjoying this thread. You all have been very helpful, as I am in the planning stages of a Southbound cruise on the Island Princess next summer with 4 or 5 nights pre-cruise on our own. So far, I have the car booked, a rental deal from Enterprise in Anchorage thanks to a tip from another thread. ;) Still need to figure out where I am going with this car, but I have 11 months to figure it out.:D

We have used the Milepost magazine as great information for driving in Alaska.

Thanks Marie -

Right now my plan is to do a 7 day cruise then drive to Denali & spend our time there - one day to take the shuttle into the park & the other to do short hikes closer to the entrance & we'll probably have a partial day for sled dogs or exhibits there also before driving back to Anchorage to fly home.

Still haven't pinned anything down as husband now questions cruise - why not just do all on our own? I melted down!!! So now I'm trying to educate him about the distances & fact of no roads in the southeast and hope to get the cruise planning working again.

Appreciate your input - I had already given up on the cruise line land portion based on several of the earlier posts - but it always good to get more info.

We are doing the cruise tour, but I must say that you can get a better deal doing it on your own. I think you can get more in your allotted time. Driving to Denali may be nicer than on the train. I have only done the train, Anchorage to Denali and then Denali to Fairbanks with separate Rental cars in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

The Milepost magazine has great information.

I think an Alaskan Cruise is the best to see the best sights in Alaska.

OK - I think my original plan is back on board - YAY for cruise! But now my husband is questioning the timing since we plan on hiking at most every port.

Anybody know what we will run into on trails between May 23 & June 2? Will snow or mud be a problem? Will trails be in better shape later in June? The cruise I'm looking at has us in Ketchikan on May 25, Juneau on May 26 and Skagway on May 27 then I plan on us being in Denali National Park May 31 thru June 2.

We don't ever really have to deal with snow - we live in FL and usually vacation in the Blue Ridge Mountains. So I forgot all about that little detail - I'm so used to being able to hike pretty much whenever I want. Some mud we can deal with - just have to allocate a bit more for the cabin steward as a thank you for dealing with the mess we'll track in!

Appreciate any insight!

Cheryl

Yes, you can definately run into snow, in Skagway and Juneau. Depends WHERE you are hiking?? Some trails won't be accessable- like at Mt Roberts. Yes, the trails will be in "better" shape in June. Won't be any issue in Denali Park, plenty of accessable hiking. IF you are going independent, there are some superb Denali STATE park trails.

In Ketchikan- it is many times wet. The ONLY point you need to consider is to have decent footwear. Then it won't matter.

Yes, you can definately run into snow, in Skagway and Juneau. Depends WHERE you are hiking?? Some trails won't be accessable- like at Mt Roberts. Yes, the trails will be in "better" shape in June. Won't be any issue in Denali Park, plenty of accessable hiking. IF you are going independent, there are some superb Denali STATE park trails.

In Ketchikan- it is many times wet. The ONLY point you need to consider is to have decent footwear. Then it won't matter.

Thanks BudgetQueen!

I'm probably OK on hiking boots if I reapply waterproofing and hubby needs new ones - so footwear should be under control.

Not sure about exact trails - have searched other posts for that sort of info only a little - just enough to see that we probably had several options in each port. Guess I'm off to the bookstore and/or library to find one or more of the books I've seen recommended.

Thanks for the reminder of Denali State Park.

Cheryl

Archived