Celebrity for a 3rd time?

mnolan770

You can always make "sea days" of your own. Right now we don't really have the budget to do exotic itineraries and enjoy the cruise the way we'd like to, so we pretty much stick to the Caribbean and other close to home ports. But basically, we're going to enjoy the ship and the warm weather; we don't really care where we go!

We love Celebrity, but we also like Royal Caribbean and Princess a lot. I enjoy switching lines because the entertainment is more varied. We've tried some others...HAL was boring and the passengers were mostly quite elderly, and Carnival was too noisy and their idea of entertainment was too low class for my taste.

You all have given me a different perspective on this. I am realizing now that my issue with doing Celebrity again is not Celebrity, but the itinerary. Living in Atlanta, getting to south Florida is very cheap for us to embark on a Caribbean cruise. But the ports all seem the same. I worked for four years in remote areas of Africa, so touring the islands is often a lot like the areas where I worked. It's great to see the culture, but I lived it for so long that it is not really sightseeing to me.

I love the idea of the European cruise. Or even a Caribbean cruise with more sea days and fewer ports where we can just hang out on the ship. This past spring, we didn't even get off at one of the ports (Costa Maya). Had a great time being one of the few left on the ship for the day.

Thanks for the recommendations so far and keep 'em coming.

It depends on how much time you have. But if you really enjoy on board ship life (as you appear to) then those that recommended transatlantic cruises make a good point. Those cruises usually include a number of European or mixed region ports in addition to the crossing which is usually 6-7 days. Most of them are a couple weeks give or take a couple days. The cruise fares tend to be bargains too especially if you shop it post final payment (potentially as cheap or cheaper per diem as the competive Caribbean). Overseas airfare tends to run about the same one way as round trip (go figure!). If I were in another stage of life, I've always thought it would be cool to buy round trip air (thus getting a 'comparative' bargain), and book both a spring and fall transatlantic based on itinerary/price etc. Doing two transatlantics in one 360 day airfare cycle. For european vacationing and cruising, you could definately streatch the dollars in a big way doing that.

If you decide to cruise the Caribbean try the Oasis or Allure. Great entertainment ... the food is better on X but there are many specialty restaurants on these giant ships. Champagne Bar instead of Martini Bar (some nights have caviar available). The Broadway show Hair Spray was great - going on the Allure this December.

We did the Oasis - Solstice B2B this March both were great cruises.

This brings up a question I have about RCCL. This past spring we booked Celebrity sorta last minute for about $600 per person for a balcony room (7 night Western Carribean). For the same period, the new RCCL ships never dropped below $1000 PP. Right now, they are at a nearly 50% premium over X. Is it worth it to pay that much of a premium?

It depends on how much time you have. But if you really enjoy on board ship life (as you appear to) then those that recommended transatlantic cruises make a good point. Those cruises usually include a number of European or mixed region ports in addition to the crossing which is usually 6-7 days. Most of them are a couple weeks give or take a couple days. The cruise fares tend to be bargains too especially if you shop it post final payment (potentially as cheap or cheaper per diem as the competive Caribbean). Overseas airfare tends to run about the same one way as round trip (go figure!). If I were in another stage of life, I've always thought it would be cool to buy round trip air (thus getting a 'comparative' bargain), and book both a spring and fall transatlantic based on itinerary/price etc. Doing two transatlantics in one 360 day airfare cycle. For european vacationing and cruising, you could definately streatch the dollars in a big way doing that.

After a bit of research on European cruises last night, I'm sold on the TA itinerary. The prices for November TAs are really good right now. Well below $100 PP per night. Very tempting.

If you've enjoyed Celebrity, then we reckon you've set a VERY high standard which other cruiselines are unlikely to match, especially as you went Solstice class. Why risk disappointment when you can instead be edging ever closer to Elite status with X?

We have cruised with Celebrity, Azamara, Princess and RCCL. And Celebrity is definitely our favourite

Being UK based we have cruised the Mediterranean more than the Caribbean, and we would DEFINITELY recommend that you give the Med a try - which would certainly satisfy your wish to do something different, without changing cruiseline. Make sure your cruise visits Venice, and we would recommend itineraries which also include Rome, Athens, Istanbul and the amazing Santorini. If you can include Barcelona, Pisa, Monte Carlo and/or Naples so much the better! Oh, not to mention Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Kusadasi (for Ephesus), Sicily etc etc. In other words YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!

We did enjoy the Azamara experience (which has been "all-inclusive clubbed up" since we were went with them). You have to adjust a little to the "smaller ship experience", but it also meant we were able to visit places that the bigger ships can't squeeze into (Sorrento, Ravenna etc). But that wouldn't matter so much for your FIRST Med cruise where the "usual" places would still be a new experience for you so on balance I'd say carry on with the big ship thing until you really want to "try something different".

If you MUST try another line then Princess is certainly our second choice. Last year we celebrated our Ruby Wedding on the Ruby Princess which called at many of our favourite ports of call listed above.

This year we chose Celebrity Equinox in the Caribbean. Next year? Equinox in the Caribbean. What does that tell you?

After a bit of research on European cruises last night, I'm sold on the TA itinerary. The prices for November TAs are really good right now. Well below $100 PP per night. Very tempting.

Let us know how it goes... I've never done a TA, but the Nov. RCL/X/HAL departures from port of Rome all look great. I've been led to believe that crew tend to be pretty up beat too on TAs for several reasons, many rotating contracts just before or after, and multiple sea days make an easier work rhythm (at least for many).

Our favorite so far is Celebrity, but as you can see from my signature, also enjoy Princess. (We are trying RCI for the first time in Oct.) Don't know if this would fit your wife's schedule, but I'd highly recommend the itinerary we did this past spring on the Coral Princess - a partial transit of the panama canal, also visited Aruba, Columbia, Costa Rica and Jamaica. It still went in/out of Florida but had a much different set of ports than your typical Caribbean cruise.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at Oceania. It sounds like it would be a very good match for your cruise-style. More relaxing environment, no formal nights, open seating all during the cruise (with no lines or hassle getting into the dining room), very good food, personal service, low-key music and entertainment at night, focus on ports. The smaller ships create a very "different" cruise experience.

Oceania is more expensive than Celebrity, of course--but there are good deals to be had. And when you see a price listed for Oceania, it usually includes the taxes and port charges, plus free air. And you can get a discount if you book your own air.

Very interesting thread!!

We chose X for our first cruise primarily for the restrictive smoking policy and 3 cruises down and 3 booked, we are hooked! I may try another line such as Azamara or Oceania some time but not those with more liberal smoking policies, regardless of itinerary, price or ship amenities.

I would suggest a S. Caribbean itinerary on Summit. San Juan is a great embarkation point and Summit is a fantastic ship with a wonderful, friendly staff. The ship will also have some of the popular S Class features after refurbishing in Jan.

After 5 cruises on 5 different lines, I've settled in with Celebrity. I'm mid-50's somewhat active

RCCL was too 'busy'

HAL - the crowd was practically geriactric

Princess - this would be my 2nd choice if I couldn't find the itinerary I wanted on X

NCL - so-so

X - absolutely wonderful!! No constant announcements, no smoking, friendly, attentive staff. Very laid back but nice atmosphere. I've got my 5th sailing in a row on X booked for January.

Having tried many of the lines under discussion, including both M- and S-class X ships, I believe that the one group of RCCL ships worth looking at are the Brilliance, Serenade, and the two others in that group. They are VERY similar to Celebrity's M class, and more "adult" than the other RCCL ships, especially when on "adult" itineraries in Europe and transatlantic. The food was definitely inferior to X, but not to the point of being bad. If they were doing the itinerary you wanted at the time you wanted (such as Canary Islands in February, which is what brought me to the Brilliance of the Seas), it's a perfectly good option.

Echoing others who have said to check out Azamara. DH and I are in our early 40s with no kids. We are foodies who enjoy fine dining w/a nice bottle of wine. We've sailed on Azamara to Western Mediterranean in 07, & Celebrity to Alaska this past August. We loved the upscale atmosphere, and the service on both ships. As for food, we would rate Azamara a point higher than Celebrity. Everything we had in the MDR and buffet from the Azamara Journey were absolutely delicious, but I found Celebrity could be hit or miss... from both venues. Since you don't care for formal nights, Azamara's dress code is smart casual throughout the cruise, open seating, more personal service, and smaller ships (less crowds). The price is all in (including alcohol, gratuities, taxes & port fees), and they sometimes run promos that include int'l airfare. With that being said though... we would not hesitate to cruise with either lines. We're already booked on Celebrity Equinox next July to Eastern Mediterranean. Can't wait!!

• 2 weeks later...

Considering this one for the first week of April '12. Like the idea of staying with Celebrity but trying a different style of ship. Have done Solstice and Eclipse so far. Thanks for the feedback.

I would suggest a S. Caribbean itinerary on Summit. San Juan is a great embarkation point and Summit is a fantastic ship with a wonderful, friendly staff. The ship will also have some of the popular S Class features after refurbishing in Jan.

Question: Should my wife and I do a Celebrity Caribbean cruise for the 3rd straight year?

More info: We love Celebrity. We are very active early 40s who have enjoyed relaxing on the Solstice and the Eclipse for the past two springs. We will hang out at the pool, grab a martini at the martini bar or a glass of wine in the Wine Cellar. Love the specialty restaurants and the MDR. We can spend a whole day just relaxing on our veranda. We are not into the formal attire during vacation. I'm happy to wear a sports coat to dinner, but I wear enough suits and ties during my work weeks. We aren't big party people. Haven't taken a shot of Jagger or danced til 2 in the morning since college.

With that background, I would love the feedback of others on the board. I know that some of you have probably done other lines. With the exception of a couple of Carnival cruises a few years back, we have only done Celebrity. Before committing to a third Spring cruise, we want to know if there is another line we should consider. Holland America? Royal Caribbean? Am I overlooking a jewel by sticking with Celebrity?

Appreciate your feedback.

We have done the "luxury line thing" and I would have to say a resounding yes to Celebrity! Even though Celebrity is a "premium" cruise line and not a luxury one they run a very close second to a "luxury line" and offer more bang for the buck than any one else. We cruise with Celebrity always once and often times twice a year.

We have done the "luxury line thing" and I would have to say a resounding yes to Celebrity! Even though Celebrity is a "premium" cruise line and not a luxury one they run a very close second to a "luxury line" and offer more bang for the buck than any one else. We cruise with Celebrity always once and often times twice a year.

Agree with the above post on Celebrity "bang for the buck". After three different "luxury" lines, we did Celebrity in June. There are differences, trade-offs, pro-con factors, but Celebrity does offer a very good ship and product at a solid value "pricing point".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now over 39,742 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived