Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

boyerd

I like a G&T now and then and recall a variety of gins were available. On the X website, Tanqueray is specifically listed as available for the stateroom bar set up so Aim sure they would also stock it at various bars, it's a pretty standard brand.

Edited by librarylady19

Dh drinks Tanguaray Gin on the rocks before and after dinner. We are thinking about the premium package, but I cannot even find out if that gin is offered on the Summit. Wouldn't want to pay the price if they don't offer his drink of choice. All listings I've found does not answer that question. This seemed like a good place to start...

Thank so much to anyone who knows about this. I really appreciate your help!

Tanqueray is included in the classic package. ($10.00 per day cheaper than premium)

I found it on the Celebrity web site.

Click the link below and scroll down to classic package and then click "pay one price". A sampling of included brands will be displayed.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages&tab=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab%2Fonboard%2FasrPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic%26ComponentTypeId%3D30%26categoryId%3D%26currencyCode%3DUSD

Hi, While I realize that every person has to determine this package's worth for his/herself, I would appreciate some thoughts from you. As an elite member I can get champagne, Bloody Mary's or Mimosa's and specialty coffees (fresh squeezed OJ too, I think) for free every morning from 8 to 10 at the elite members' continental breakfast. Additionally there is a free Happy Hour each night from 5 to 7 for elite members where cocktails, champagne and wine are available at no charge. So is this package worth it for me? I like the convenience - anytime, any bar and no slips to sign/accumulate. I like the Martini bar and wine at lunch, at trivia and at the shows. We would be getting these packages for a 14 day transatlantic next May - so lots of sea days. What say you?

Hi, While I realize that every person has to determine this package's worth for his/herself, I would appreciate some thoughts from you. As an elite member I can get champagne, Bloody Mary's or Mimosa's and specialty coffees (fresh squeezed OJ too, I think) for free every morning from 8 to 10 at the elite members' continental breakfast. Additionally there is a free Happy Hour each night from 5 to 7 for elite members where cocktails, champagne and wine are available at no charge. So is this package worth it for me? I like the convenience - anytime, any bar and no slips to sign/accumulate. I like the Martini bar and wine at lunch, at trivia and at the shows. We would be getting these packages for a 14 day transatlantic next May - so lots of sea days. What say you?

I had the premium package for an Eastern Med cruise, which is very port intensive, and it still worked out well for me. Although the elite events somewhat offset the package, the package allowed me to have wine at lunch on sea days, drinks at the molecular bar, wine with dinner, espressos after dinner, etc. I'll be going on a TA later this year and am planning to get the package again -- with more sea days, it will provide an even greater benefit.

Each person's preferences are different, but when I hear someone say that you have to drink a lot to make the package worth it, it all depends on what your point of reference is. If it is a $6 drink of the day, it would obviously take a lot more to "break even" than if you are drinking a $12 martini or glass of wine. One of the reasons I like the package is because I can have what I want without having to worry about it (and I favor the more expensive drinks still covered under the package). I drink a lot of non-alcoholic beverages during the day, but the difference in price between the premium NA and premium alcohol packages is only 3-4 drinks per day, which to me isn't that much.

The packages aren't for everyone as everyone has different habits and preferences, but they work well for me.

Edited by Cruising Domer

That is why I said the $18 premium non alcoholic package is a much better deal because I love fresh squeezed OJ, smoothies and specialty coffees. That leaves $36 for drinks, and that is an awful lot when many drinks are $5-$6. I added that you can have wine/sparkling in your room (and pretty easy to bring 4 bottles into the room) and add to that happy hours and specials. I know in a few cases there was "forced"drinking to meet the $54/day.....

I'm with Anthony on this one. We're booked on a 14 day cruise and I can't imagine paying over $700 for a bar bill - just for me! I purchased the premium non alcholol so I can have water for the port trips, speciality coffee in the morning and after dinner. I can still drink enough on the sea days and not break the bank.

did you only purchase the package for one? were you able to share your bottle of wine at dinner?

It is unclear which post you are referring to. It would help if you hit the "quote" button when replying to threads with multiple messages so it will be clear which comment you are responding to.

In any event:

If you are referring to one of the bottled wine packages: These don't apply to a specific number of persons and cab be shared however you'd like as they are for a specific number of bottles of wine. So sharing is no different than ordering a bottle of wine ala carte.

If you are referring to one of the unlimited beverage packages such as the Classic or Premium Alcoholic packages: Sharing is not allowed on these packages. Wine under these packages is served by the glass soley for the consumption of the person who purchased the package - or persons who purchased the package if more than one person in a group each purchased a beverage package. From posts I've read, occasionally the wine server in the dining room will leave a bottle on, or near, the table for convenience. But this does not change the fact that the beverage packages can not be shared. The wine server still has the responsibility of tracking usage, reporting the number of glasses consumed and charging separately for any glasses ordered, or taken, but an individual who has not purchased a beverage package.

It is unclear which post you are referring to. It would help if you hit the "quote" button when replying to threads with multiple messages so it will be clear which comment you are responding to.

In any event:

If you are referring to one of the bottled wine packages: These don't apply to a specific number of persons and cab be shared however you'd like as they are for a specific number of bottles of wine. So sharing is no different than ordering a bottle of wine ala carte.

If you are referring to one of the unlimited beverage packages such as the Classic or Premium Alcoholic packages: Sharing is not allowed on these packages. Wine under these packages is served by the glass soley for the consumption of the person who purchased the package - or persons who purchased the package if more than one person in a group each purchased a beverage package. From posts I've read, occasionally the wine server in the dining room will leave a bottle on, or near, the table for convenience. But this does not change the fact that the beverage packages can not be shared. The wine server still has the responsibility of tracking usage, reporting the number of glasses consumed and charging separately for any glasses ordered, or taken, but an individual who has not purchased a beverage package.

ok, thanks for the help in replying properly.... I was talking about the alcohol packages. it sounded like people were purchasing one but then sharing.

Useful breakdown although I have to say, given that bottles of good quality wine are so cheap at home, I find the cruise an opportunity not to drink so much! It doesn't hinder the quality of the experience and saves on the pocket. Even at $55 a day (if I understand you correctly) that is a fair chunk of money going on booze. But it is amazing how it all mounts up: 2 of you having 2 glasses of red wine per day would be looking at $45 without the package so it probably is worth a look for peace of mind as much as it is for the potential of unlimited consumption.

I'm a bit curious.

Celebrity allowes for two bottles of wine to be brought onboard.

Are they flexible about the size of the bottles?

An ordinary bottle is 750ml, but a magnum bottle is a lot bigger than that.

Where should I pack the two (normal sized) bottles - in the checked luggage or in the hand luggage?

Do I need to declare the wine brought onboard in any way?

How much is the corkage fee?

On our last cruise this spring we had the Premium Alcohol Package but for our trans atlantic we're considering Premium Package (all premium drinks except for alcohol) and maybe bring our allowance of two bottles of wine onboard since we're boarding in Barcelona Spain, the land of terrific Rioja wines.

I've never done this before so I'm a bit curious.

/Dennis

I'm a bit curious.

Celebrity allowes for two bottles of wine to be brought onboard.

Are they flexible about the size of the bottles?

An ordinary bottle is 750ml, but a magnum bottle is a lot bigger than that.

Where should I pack the two (normal sized) bottles - in the checked luggage or in the hand luggage?

Do I need to declare the wine brought onboard in any way?

How much is the corkage fee?

On our last cruise this spring we had the Premium Alcohol Package but for our trans atlantic we're considering Premium Package (all premium drinks except for alcohol) and maybe bring our allowance of two bottles of wine onboard since we're boarding in Barcelona Spain, the land of terrific Rioja wines.

I've never done this before so I'm a bit curious.

/Dennis

Greetings

The allowance is two 750 ml bottles. Can you get away with 2 larger bottles? From reading this board, that seems hit or miss depending on the screener. Best bet is to play by the rules.

Good Sailing

Tom

>>>Are they flexible about the size of the bottles?

In the past I've read comments from many that had no issue with bottle size but others who had large bottles, or boxes of wine, confiscated and my advice has been to do so at your own risk knowing this. But recently I've read that there has been more enforcement of 750ML limit and that they've changed some (but not all) of the written policies to reflect this (in the past the written policies on the web site haven't addressed bottle size at all).

>>>Where should I pack the two (normal sized) bottles - in the checked luggage or in the hand luggage?

You can do either but I'd recommend carrying it on board. If you put it in checked luggage they might divert your luggage to the inspection area (also known as the naughty room) rather than delivering it to your cabin and you'll have to go down and open the case. You'll still be able to bring the wine on board but if the luggage scanner can't tell it's wine and not spirits then they'll want you to open the case so they can check.

>>>Do I need to declare the wine brought onboard in any way?

No.

>>>How much is the corkage fee?

$25 for wine you take to the dining room. No corkage for wine you enjoy in your stateroom.

Edited by Lsimon

Could someone fill me in on the beverage packages? I'm booking through an outlet, not directly with Celebrity. How would I got about investigating and/or purchasing a beverage package? Thank you all so much for your wisdom!

Hi,

You can still go to the Celebrity website to read about the packages offered...and once you have your booking number, book online there...or you can wait and purchase the packages onboard. Quite a few people seem to wait until the second day onboard to purchase the package...especially if they have a late embarkation the first day. The packages will be available for purchase at any bar onboard !

Enjoy

Woody

• 2 weeks later...

I researched the drink packages and decided to go with the premium package. I'm so looking forward to not having to worry about how much we spend on drinks!

I also decided to purchase a Stateroom Bar Setup package. Has anyone purchased this in the past? If so, was it worth the investment?

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for all of the great posts. They were very helpful.

It's probably been asked but my eyes started blur after about 100 posts! lol

We are thinking about the Premium NA package for wife and Premium Alc. for me. Re the NA "smoothies and frozen drinks" are those available in the dining rooms, clubs, poolside (ie. everywhere?) or just some places? We've never been on Celebrity before and never used a beverage package on any other lines. If they offer a drink of the day poolside do they also offer an NA version? Would the packages cover both then?

Thanks - can't wait for the Summit in February!

Just got back from my first cruise. I must say it was AMAZING.

Ok ok, we cheated a little on the package, ok a lot :). Hubby bought the Premium package for "himself" however when I was out and about by myself without him, I used his card, no questions asked. When you go to the bars late at night, they arent really paying attention and just swipe the card. The premium drink package covers EVERYTHING except the cellar masters wine machines, and in some of the upscale restaurants if I am not mistaken.

They do only say one drink at a time. But if you make nice with the bartenders, esp at the pool, they will have no issue bringing you 2 out at a time. Esp if you are getting a drink, and say a water or something.

The only time we ran into issues was at dinner in the Cosmopolitan restaurant. There they made us use both our cards.

Honestly for us, I dont think it would have been worth is buying the package for the both of us, because I calculated that we spent approx, $500 on beverages. and the package for the both of us would have been over $700.

Ok ok, we cheated a little on the package, ok a lot :). Hubby bought the Premium package for "himself" however when I was out and about by myself without him, I used his card, no questions asked. ...

...The only time we ran into issues was at dinner in the Cosmopolitan restaurant. There they made us use both our cards.

Honestly for us, I dont think it would have been worth is buying the package for the both of us, because I calculated that we spent approx, $500 on beverages. and the package for the both of us would have been over $700.

Frankly I'm a bit stunned.:confused:

I usually try to avoid making posts critical of other cruisers but I can't hold back.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised that there are those that break the rules and cheat the cruise line (stealing from them in my opinion). But what surprises me is that you'd post a confession to this online. Basically bragging about it. Clearly you knew what you were doing was cheating and was wrong, but apparently this doesn't bother you.

It's no surprise that you saved money by breaking the rules and that it would have cost you more if you'd not cheated the system.

Oh well....:(

Edited by Lsimon

, and in some of the upscale restaurants if I am not mistaken.

Hi Greeneyed:

Can you elaborate on this issue with the specialty restaurants. As far as we know, it is accepted at all venues, excluding the "wine machines" in the Cellars. You can use it for the other wine by the glass in Cellars

If you have a minute, do a full review for all of us.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed yourself

Hi Greeneyed:

Can you elaborate on this issue with the specialty restaurants. As far as we know, it is accepted at all venues, excluding the "wine machines" in the Cellars. You can use it for the other wine by the glass in Cellars

If you have a minute, do a full review for all of us.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed yourself

I don't know about the Cellar itself, but I know it wasn't accepted in the machines at all.

As far as me cheating. Yes I did cheat. I will admit it. Am I bragging, no, I'm just making a truthful statement about my experience and I can tell you that a lot of other people were doing as well. The whole discussion was whether or not purchasing the package was worth it. So I was just elaborating on my experience. To each their own. I dont think I was "stealing" from the cruise line. Frankly, most of the bartenders knew what I was doing and didnt give me a hassle about it. I had no issue using my own card if need be.

Edited to add:

Cheating...Inst it cheating if you bought the drink package and cancelled it and then bought it again when it went on sale?? Thats "cheating and bragging" too.

Edited by GreenEyedBandita

We are new to Celebrity and will be sailing Solstice out of Seattle next May. So looking forward to it.

I have been struggling with these drink packages since before we booked. I have read different sections of this thread and think I have gotten myself confused and appreciate feedback / assistance from verteran cruisers on your recommendations.

Our typical consumption is:

1. Bloody Mary in the morning
  2. Frozen cocktail or two by the pool
  3. Glass or two of wine with dinner
  4. Couple of martini's after dinner

My problem is I don't know the average or regular price of the above items in order to determine which package would best meet our needs. I have already decided on the Premium Non-Alcholic package at a minimum since if I understand correctly it includes fresh squeezed OJ (Love It) and soft drinks / water.

Now if we go with a Classic package, will that cover us? Or should we go with the Premium?

What really has me confused is the ability to pay the difference. I seem to recall a posting that the policy has changed, but have seen nothin to substantiate that - so I am leaning to discounting it.

Also, I understand there is some sort of "calculator" out there on one of the threads, but I can't seem to be able to locate it.

So, what should we do? Classic or Premium.

Lastly, what are the chances of Celebrity repeating the 10% off sale. Our sailing was not included in the sale back in June, so we were unable to purchase it then. Hopefully, they will repate the offer - or is it on sale on Day 1 on the ship?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Frankly I'm a bit stunned.:confused:

I usually try to avoid making posts critical of other cruisers but I can't hold back.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised that there are those that break the rules and cheat the cruise line (stealing from them in my opinion). But what surprises me is that you'd post a confession to this online. Basically bragging about it. Clearly you knew what you were doing was cheating and was wrong, but apparently this doesn't bother you.

It's no surprise that you saved money by breaking the rules and that it would have cost you more if you'd not cheated the system.

Oh well....:(

Lsimon:

Nicely put!! I don't mind the two-at-a-time because sometimes one just isn't enough. But I'm appalled at people who uses a higher level card to get pricier beverages.

And Greeneyedbandita: YES, you were stealing. That's why a premium package costs MORE than others. Of course the package was worth it to you...you didn't pay your fair share.

Further, if the bartenders knew about it and didn't give you a hassle - do you really think they would confront a customer and potentially lose their job?

I don't know about the Cellar itself, but I know it wasn't accepted in the machines at all.

As far as me cheating. Yes I did cheat. I will admit it. Am I bragging, no, I'm just making a truthful statement about my experience and I can tell you that a lot of other people were doing as well. The whole discussion was whether or not purchasing the package was worth it. So I was just elaborating on my experience. To each their own. I dont think I was "stealing" from the cruise line. Frankly, most of the bartenders knew what I was doing and didnt give me a hassle about it. I had no issue using my own card if need be.

Edited to add:

Cheating...Inst it cheating if you bought the drink package and cancelled it and then bought it again when it went on sale?? Thats "cheating and bragging" too.

Good Lord, if you need to scam a lot of drinks while you're on vacation, pick a cheaper vacation. What nonsense.