What Has Happened to Carnival???

Prettygirl

DH and I just got off the Carnival Dream on 9-3-2011. What a horrible cruise! I have written a review but it has not published yet.

While we understand the ship can't help who books a cruise and we also understand that some people are just pigs, what we witnessed on this cruise was appalling. We were told there were over 1000 kids on the ship under age 15 and 1500 kids under 18. Most of them were just turned loose. You had to dodge ice cream cone wielding kids running everywhere. I saw one boy approximately age 9 put his mouth on the ice cream machine and just turn it on directly into his mouth. GROSS!

We saw small children ages 6 and under roaming the ship without an adult after 11 pm. Gangs of teenagers were every where. One teenage boy felt he didn't need silverware. We was walking through the Gathering dining room licking pudding out of the bowl!

We witnessed cereal boxes hitting the floor and being replaced for people to eat by both passengers and dining room staff. We saw dining room staff replacing cereal and milk boxes that had been on tables for other people to eat. Most people will carry cereal boxes and milk cartons to the table inside their cereal bowls. I wonder how many people got sick? We told the dining room supervisor what we saw and he said there were too many people to watch and he would talk to the staff. Staff was still picking the boxes up off the floor and returning them to the food line even at the end of the cruise. Beware!

We saw kids grabbing buffet food with their hands and then putting it back even after they took a bite!

Carnival did not enforce any of their own rules! The entire cruise was chaos. I will never sail again when kids are out of school! Many adults were as bad as the kids. I have never seen such "stable" manners on any previous cruise.

We wanted to try a Cove Balcony and got the last cabin available. Big mistake, it was under the Galley and the noise was incredible. Between the screaming kid across the hall, gangs of kids roaming the halls at night, and the galley, we got little sleep. We have never been so anxious to get off a ship. We found ourselves hiding in our cabin to escape the chaos outside our door. Needless to say it was a miserable experience.

I didn't think the food could get any worse. Think Hospital Food!

We have had good experiences on Fantasy class ships and will stick to them in the future. We still have one more Future Cruise Certificate to spend.:eek:

Be prepared to get blasted big time. For some reason, most people that have sailed on the Dream think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The amount of kids present on a cruise depends largely on the time of year you cruise. Just before school starts is when a lot of families make that final vacation.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your cruise. We are very happy with Carnival but will never sail on the Dream class again. It's just too many people to suit us.

Wow, we were on the same cruise and didn't experience this. Not saying it didn't happen, just, didn't experience it. Yes, there were a lot of kids, but for the most part they were not noticeable to us. As for your cabin, don't blame that on Carnival. Do you expect it to be quiet under the galley? Do you know what they do there? You don't have to use that FCC. Call Carnival and they will refund you $100.

I'm not saying yes or no, but this is very similar to another post a while ago. I've been in a cove and it was in April during a school break:eek: There were tons of kids and college age young adults. I did see random acts by kids, yes, unsupervised and running, but overall it wasn't too bad. I'll NEVER do it again during school breaks!

yup. this is now what sails carnival.

but overall, what annoyed me was how the trash was left over everywhere, and there are not people employed or designated to keep up with it, especially overnight.

junk would be everywhere, trays in elevators, food smushed into the buttons, and cups, food, trays, garbage left everywhere, as if recepticles didn't exist. the morning corridors were pathetic as well, lined with trays of uneaten food, some vandalized with the food on the walls and carpets.

as an early riser, it was sad to see the ship in this condition every morning.

DH and I just got off the Carnival Dream on 9-3-2011. What a horrible cruise! I have written a review but it has not published yet.

While we understand the ship can't help who books a cruise and we also understand that some people are just pigs, what we witnessed on this cruise was appalling. We were told there were over 1000 kids on the ship under age 15 and 1500 kids under 18. Most of them were just turned loose. You had to dodge ice cream cone wielding kids running everywhere. I saw one boy approximately age 9 put his mouth on the ice cream machine and just turn it on directly into his mouth. GROSS!

We saw small children ages 6 and under roaming the ship without an adult after 11 pm. Gangs of teenagers were every where. One teenage boy felt he didn't need silverware. We was walking through the Gathering dining room licking pudding out of the bowl!

We witnessed cereal boxes hitting the floor and being replaced for people to eat by both passengers and dining room staff. We saw dining room staff replacing cereal and milk boxes that had been on tables for other people to eat. Most people will carry cereal boxes and milk cartons to the table inside their cereal bowls. I wonder how many people got sick? We told the dining room supervisor what we saw and he said there were too many people to watch and he would talk to the staff. Staff was still picking the boxes up off the floor and returning them to the food line even at the end of the cruise. Beware!

We saw kids grabbing buffet food with their hands and then putting it back even after they took a bite!

Carnival did not enforce any of their own rules! The entire cruise was chaos. I will never sail again when kids are out of school! Many adults were as bad as the kids. I have never seen such "stable" manners on any previous cruise.

We wanted to try a Cove Balcony and got the last cabin available. Big mistake, it was under the Galley and the noise was incredible. Between the screaming kid across the hall, gangs of kids roaming the halls at night, and the galley, we got little sleep. We have never been so anxious to get off a ship. We found ourselves hiding in our cabin to escape the chaos outside our door. Needless to say it was a miserable experience.

I didn't think the food could get any worse. Think Hospital Food!

We have had good experiences on Fantasy class ships and will stick to them in the future. We still have one more Future Cruise Certificate to spend.:eek:

So sorry that you did not have a good cruise, at least you did not swear off Carnival entirely like some do when they have 1 bad cruise, I hope your next one is much better.

Nothing has happened to Carnival. We were on the Pride a few weeks ago with over 800 kids on board. Except for a few kids that like "riding" elevators, we had zero problem with kids and the cruise may have been our best ever with great service and the ship was clean as it could be. You have to remember, this is the end of summer and you're gonna have a lot of kids.

I've never cruised with Carnival, but are you complaining because individual boxes of cereal were dropped on the floor and then replaced on the breakfast buffet? Really! Have you never heard of the 5 second rule?:p I would not think twice before eating a box that had been dropped!

I can say that we have cruised five Carnival cruises over the past few years, including one where we had over 850 school age children onboard. I have yet to see anything close to the general theme of this thread. I do think this is overblown by a large multiplier. Or, perhaps, I am dangerously unobservant.

Doc

Everyone has their own experiences. I will be going on my 6th and 7th carnival cruise and never experienced such a problem. Kids will be kids remember that and your going on a cruise line that promotes to let loose and have fun. Maybe Carnival isn't your cruise line. The way you come off Princess, Celebrity, or NCL might be your cup of tea.

Seriously? A box of cereal hitting the floor and being picked up and restocked? You dont think that happens at supermarkets and other places where you shop? The box is clearly that a box. Now if you said that they spilled cereal all over the floor and the staff repacked it and put it back up I will have a problem with that.

Maybe you should paid less attention to the kids and enjoyed yourself more. To me it seems your searching for negativity. We all cant be pessimist I guess.

Im sorry you had such a bad cruise & I hope the next one is much better for you guys, plz try going off peak when you can the ship is much calmer BUT in im opinion! Sorry if this offends anyone but im a young 28yo:D & I have seen KIDS act WORSE & WORSE everywhere I go! Having a customer service job in Vegas I see it every day especially in summer! Rude, ill-behaved, no manners, & just down right nasty kids these days! Growing up I could NEVER act the way kids & "some Parents" ACT NOW! It sucks Carnival didnt do their best to control these kids but it shows the society we are living in these days! Take 1000 kids from the 80's, or 90's & they wont be NEARLY as BADLY BEHAVED has the kids are now! Sorry to rant but its not just Carnival with these issues, VEGAS& any vaca. destintaion when kids are out is the same way & in groups you can tell how bad children/teens are these days!

I've never cruised with Carnival, but are you complaining because individual boxes of cereal were dropped on the floor and then replaced on the breakfast buffet? Really! Have you never heard of the 5 second rule?:p I would not think twice before eating a box that had been dropped!

And it wasn't like the cereal spilled out on the floor and they scooped

it back into the box's.

I wouldn't think anything of a sealed box that was on a table being put

Back on the shelf. Milk... Ok, it will go bad, so it should be tossed.

One thing that would help is if they had more places for people to take

their trash and dirty trays.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

How is this about what happened to Carnival? Shouldn't this be what happend on the Dream! Experiences are ship to ship! We didn't care for the Dream either, but still love the Miracle and Pride.

we were on the dream in march and found the kids to be a bit overwhelming and we have 2 hahahahah :D. we wont go in march again (i also have a child with autsim so he became very stimulated). we are cruising again in november on the freedom. hoping for a few less kids! :D

27 days until our cruise on the Dream! :D

Seriously, I hope that our upcoming Carnival cruise is nothing like what the OP described. We already had a less than stellar cruise on the Fascination last December and it took me a while to convince my wife that that bad cruise had just been a fluke.

If our upcoming Dream cruise sucks, It may be our last Carnival cruise.

Just got off the Inspiration on Thursday and had 4 kids in an inside stateroom, their parents next to us in a grand suite. Their kids ran the hall all night long (I don't think they knew how to walk), and would party outside our door. I called security and it would take care of it for awhile but it didn't stop them. They had room service and ate a little of the food and would drop the tray in the hallway and laugh. The food was all over the floor. At debarkation the family was sitting behind us and the mother was complaining to one of the other mothers that she went to wake her kids up at 6am and her 12 y.o. daughter was not in the room. She hadn't been there all night long. They had no idea what a trash can was because I looked in their room and all their trash was on the floor. Couldn't imagine living like that but they learned it from somewhere. I don't blame Carnival but I believe they should have some kind of curfew for kids of certain ages if they are not with their parents. Maybe that would curb some parents from bringing their uncontrollable kids on a cruise.

Mick

funny thing to me is the OP kept seeing this happen. I've never seen it happen and don't exactly know what I'd "catch" if I happened to eat the cereal in one of these "contaminated" boxes

How is this about what happened to Carnival? Shouldn't this be what happend on the Dream! Experiences are ship to ship! We didn't care for the Dream either, but still love the Miracle and Pride.

Experiences aren't only ship to ship but apparently cruise to cruise. We were on the Dream just over a month ago and didn't see any of what the OP described. I imagine we had as many kids on our cruise but I never saw anything gross going on at the buffet....other than an adult with no shirt on....dripping pool water and/or sweat....getting food...that was gross!

Wow, looks like your review wasn't too well received. Seems as if some people are even questioning whether it happened. We have been on seven carnival cruises - four of them on the DREAM. I agree with every word you wrote. I am not a fussy eater and found the food inedible for the most part. They seem to be making cuts everywhere including the food and service. I have enjoyed every cruise on Carnival before this but won't chance another one with so much competition out there.

Depends,we were on the Dream Feb 20th 2010 and we had a very good cruise.This year we were on the same cruise, and it was awful.Never again on the Dream class ship.They are to big and to crowded.Yes it depends on when the kids are out of school,but why can't Carnival do a little better helping to control the precious little angels.Why should we be pushed to Holland America or Celebrity because parents will not do their jobs,and neither will Carnival.Now if one of you flamers want to send me about a thousand dollars,we will gladly go on one of the higher priced ships.

Sorry you had such a lousy time. I believe every word of it. I NEVER cruise when the kiddies are out of school for this very reason. And I only cruise Carnival because RCCL has abandoned the West Coast. People have no respect for others anymore. Discipline has become a dirty word in our society. Carnival needs to put a few of these animals off the ship in foreign ports and then make ship wide announcements. That would put a damper on this behavior.

I have a friend who has sailed with Carnival on many occasions. he and his daughter and son in law and two small children got back from the Dream Aug 27th.

They're sentiments were the same as the OP. They said the there was a lot of

unruly and disgusting people and it made the cruise very unpleasant. I have never heard them complain about Carnival before.

Also noticed on the review board that the last few reviews of the Dream say the same thing.

The OP was saying exactly what my friends said.

Archived