Is a suit coat necessary on formal nights?

Nascar girl

For the people saying Princess does not enforce the dress code don't be so sure. On the Ruby last November the Maitre'd was at the door as people came into the MDR. One night a couple in front of us, the man was wearing cargo shorts & tshirt, the woman in swimsuit and coverup was told they would need to change or go to the HC. On formal night men without jackets were told the same thing. I told the maitre'd on the last night I was very proud of him for standing up for dress code. He said, it was becoming harder and harder to enforce but as long as it was Princess policy he would be enforcing the minimum.

On a HAL 28 transatlantic cruise in April the first part of the cruise was 16 days and most of the passengers were Americans. Very few dressed in "formal" dress on the formal nights. Most of men had on jackets but that was about it. The women well I want even go there. The second part was a 12 day Med cruise that was mostly European. It was like night and day almost everyone looked elegant except for the Americans that stayed on for the second part of the cruise. I don't understand why we in the USA have a total disregard for trying to look our best.

We are sailing on the Ruby next April in the Caribbean. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary for my husband to wear a suit coat on formal nights in the main dining rooms? He was hoping to leave the suit coat at home and just wear a shirt and tie on the formal nights.

No!!!

I too was wondering how closely men followed the letter of the law for formal dining attire. We're going on an 18 night transatlantic leaving from Venice. We're going to be backpacking around Europe for a week before the cruise so we will be very limited in what we can carry. I have a lovely skirt and glittery jacket that is very formal but fits in 2 small ziplock bags. DH's suit takes up a ton of space and is very heavy. It would be so nice to have him just wear a long sleeved shirt/ tie and slacks.

I know, I know, we can always eat in the buffet but I LOVE the extra special food in the MDR on formal night.

Can anyone tell me if it is necessary for my husband to wear a suit coat on formal nights in the main dining rooms? He was hoping to leave the suit coat at home and just wear a shirt and tie on the formal nights.

Shirt and tie will be fine, but the majority of the men, though not all, will be wearing some form of coat.

It is interesting to note that aboard Oceania there are no formal nights, only Smart Casual. But their code is enforced to the letter. I have seen wearing apparel in the dining room of Princess ships on formal night that would not meet Oceania's Smart Casual standards.

I'd be very happy if Princess moved to the country-club casual style like Oceania. However seeing they're not planning too, I guess I'll bring my sport jacket (no full suit) next cruise. That said, Princess tends to enforce the no swimwear and no shorts but otherwise seems to treat the formal dress as a recommendation not a hard-and-fast rule, which is how the language in the Cruise Answer Book reads (one is "not permitted" the other is a "please observe").

I too was wondering how closely men followed the letter of the law for formal dining attire. We're going on an 18 night transatlantic leaving from Venice. We're going to be backpacking around Europe for a week before the cruise so we will be very limited in what we can carry. I have a lovely skirt and glittery jacket that is very formal but fits in 2 small ziplock bags. DH's suit takes up a ton of space and is very heavy. It would be so nice to have him just wear a long sleeved shirt/ tie and slacks.

I know, I know, we can always eat in the buffet but I LOVE the extra special food in the MDR on formal night.

Your DH can always rent a tux for the duration of the cruise. Last time my DH rented one, it cost $85 and included 2 shirts. That way he will be fine for formal night and no suit to carry around Europe. And the longer cruises seem to have more passengers who dress up.

Dress code has been debated back and forth from jeans thru tuxes. It is not NECESSARY for a man to wear a jacket, but the vast majority do. My husband used to always bring a suit or sports jacket, but now that we try to keep our luggage lighter, he often just wears dress type pants and a shirt and tie on formal nights.

I plan on renting a tux for our March '12 Hawaii cruise - However I'm sure as soon as I get into the dining room I'll be taking off the jacket to eat or I'll end up getting food all over it. :) It always feels like a bit of a waste on time putting it on....

I always wear a suit or tux, but wish I didn't have to. The dining room is way too warm for all those clothes. Temp should be 65, not 70. After a glass of wine, which I refuse to forgo, the jacket goes on the back of the chair. If we didn't have free bag check (Alaska/Delta Air) my wife might let me go without the suit/tux.

I witnessed a man being turned away from the MDR on the Grand a few yrs ago. He had a short sleeved dress shirt on with a tie. He was told a long sleeved shirt would be required. Fortunately someone in his party had a long sleeved shirt he could borrow. I thought he looked fine....how embarrassing for him. On the flip side I have seen people strolling into the MDR on FN with jeans and a tshirt. I think it can go either way. I dont want to be on the receiving end of a critique at the MDR door so my dh and I will opt to go along with the dress recommendations.The last 2 cruises wore dress pants, white shirt/tie, and a sports jacket on FN.

Shirt and tie will be fine, but the majority of the men, though not all, will be wearing some form of coat.

I think this sums up the answer to the OPs question. She was asking if the jacket is necessary from a Princess point of view, not how stringently some passengers want to impose their own preferences. She can now make up her own mind based on the above, very objective observation. Thanks mnbruce

This question it directed at those people who feel a coat is required on formal night. To be clear, I also believe that a coat is required – even if you take it off at the table.

In November, I am going to be married at sea by the Captain (on the Crown). That is likely to be one of the formal nights since we are at sea. I want to have the wedding dinner in the dining room (traditional dining) and have everyone wear their wedding attire. The women will be fine – the dresses are long, but the men are a bit less formal. They will have patent white leather shoes, white trousers and a white Hawaiian shirt with a parrot motif at the bottom (below is a link to the shirt if you want to see it). Normally I would agree that this is not appropriate since there is no jacket or tie. Since all the men will be dressed the same and we are part of a wedding party, I think it may be acceptable. I would love to hear some opinions from other people.

http://www.hawaiianshirtstore.com/bepahashm1.html

This question it directed at those people who feel a coat is required on formal night. To be clear, I also believe that a coat is required – even if you take it off at the table.

In November, I am going to be married at sea by the Captain (on the Crown). That is likely to be one of the formal nights since we are at sea. I want to have the wedding dinner in the dining room (traditional dining) and have everyone wear their wedding attire. The women will be fine – the dresses are long, but the men are a bit less formal. They will have patent white leather shoes, white trousers and a white Hawaiian shirt with a parrot motif at the bottom (below is a link to the shirt if you want to see it). Normally I would agree that this is not appropriate since there is no jacket or tie. Since all the men will be dressed the same and we are part of a wedding party, I think it may be acceptable. I would love to hear some opinions from other people.

Whether or not people wear a jacket is based on their interpretation of Princess's suggestions but what your group will be wearing no doubt will be OK. I couldn't possibly see a head waiter baring the whole group from entering as he would look like a fool especially when there are other guys with just regular shirts on.

Since it is your wedding party, I would think it would be ok.

Hmmmm, enjoyable reading.Perhaps at issue is your inclination to respect the customs set forth by your hosts (also applies to travel in foreign countries) or ignore them for whatever personal reasons you have. I prefer to honor the customs of my hosts but don't waste any time judging fellow travelers who "go their own way".

I have been on several different Princess ships in the Caribbean and it is not necessary for a man to wear a jacket in the dining room on formal night. Many men will wear a sport coat with or without a tie, some will wear a suit and very few will wear a tux. There are always quite a few men dressed in a long sleeved dress shirt and tie and that is acceptable according to the dining room personnel I have spoken with.

Frankly, I do not care what other people are wearing as long as they are neat and clean. And, I do not understand why people make it their business to police what other people are wearing. I have better things to do with my time :rolleyes:

We were just on HAL for our first cruise and they are supposed to be much dressier than Princess so my guys all brought sport coats. Granted, most men wore some kind of jacket on formal night, but I did see several men with just a shirt and tie. And - one guy was in a pair of jeans and an untucked button down shirt and they handed him a loaner jacket to put on. So, obviously, Princess is not the only cruiseline who makes allowances with their dress code.

For our first few Princess cruises we dragged along the jackets for my sons and husband, but around number 4 we gave up. We each take one carry on bag for a cruise and jackets for men over 6' tall, which all of mine are, take up too much room. My guys all wear nicely pressed dress shirts and a tie and black dress slacks on formal nights. And I guarantee you, they have never felt under dressed as there are plenty other men dressed the same way.

It is only fair that men can wear a shirt and tie, because many women will just wear a pair of black dress slacks and a dressier top of some kind. This attire for women is very common and it seems that women can get away with most anything and still get in the dining room.

Princess just needs to change the policy to the reality of the situation. It would make it easier on first time cruisers who have not seen the dining rooms on formal night with their own eyes and who want to be dressed appropriately.

I thought this thread was from 5-10 years ago!:D

Ahh.. remember when it was formal, informal, casual... Now a shirt and tie is fine on formal night. I suppose then that a tie and bare chest is OK on casual... or would that be informal and bare chest and no tie is casual?:D

All this chatter about "Who are these cruisers that think its their business to police what other people wear!" Obviously that isn't occuring; nobody's doing much policing these days!

Nascar girl - The old timers (I guess that includes me) would prefer this be a Formula 1 styled event, but its more likely IRL. You're inquiring, so you'll be dressed fine I'm sure! It does amaze me though how much emotion folks put into formal night... on these boards anyway.

The important thing is that we all have fun... and try to be as well dressed as the help.;)

On my August 8th Alaska cruise I didn't see them turn away people on formal nights who definitely did not meet their request. Granted they weren't in shorts or bathing suits with cover ups but jeans and short sleeve shirts (no tie). Didn't bother me jsut was surprised they let them in. the majority of people in anytime dining did seem to sport the coat (for gentlemen).

The final decision lies with the Maitre-d and/or the Head Waiter in the dining room. I have seen some gentlemen turned away for not being properly dressed and in other cases they look the other way. I suppose it comes down to your desire to conform to the dress code that the vast majority adhere to and you tolerance to being embarrassed at the door.

Archived