Capnpugwash’s adventures continue to the Black Sea.

capnpugwash

This would actually be one big plus for an end-of cruise call at Vigo or La Coruna. That way you've got one last port to look forward to, and then after that there's just one full day at sea on the way back. I don't think I'd enjoy finishing a cruise with perhaps three successive sea days - I think the combination of spreading gloom and deteriorating weather would leave me suicidal.

We had a call at Vigo coming back from the central Med on our last cruise, and there was a marked contrast between the day there in reasonable sunshine and the following day when it was a lot cooler and greyer as we crossed the Bay. That brought it home to us that the cruise was very nearly over; but thankfully it was only one day. We spent it lazily and then did our packing.

Totally agree with that suggestion Tom. On our forthcoming Christmas cruise we leave Barcelona on New Year's eve then just have half a day in Gibraltar before arriving back at Southampton on 5th January. We'd happily skip Gibraltar for some time in Northern Spain on the way home.

The last day at Sea heading for Southampton is my least favourite too, especially in poor weather which is quite often the case - even in the summer!! It really is drab and depressing, the ent's team seem to have the day off and there is nothing to keep you amused except collecting photographs or looking around the shop! They think 'everyone is packing' but in reality this only takes 1-2 hrs at most and can be done late afternoon. We put our cases out sometimes after midnight when we get back from the evenings etertainment, and they are always gone in the morning and in baggae hall later...it tickles me to see som cases out mid day on last day, wel suppose it spreads the load out for porters/stewards.

Its a real cop-out the last day and more should be offered if only films and talks.

last day at sea on a Med ! Cruise in June

P7050256.jpg

Sea days are always preferable to calling in at Vigo or La Coruna imho

Final update.

As the sun rose the sea was actually like glass again but with swells that were so slight as to not cause waves at all, it was very strange really. It is now 10.45 and the temperature has risen to 16/61 degrees and the Officer of the watch has confirmed that we will leave the Bay and make the starboard turn into the English Channel at around 4pm. We currently have 300 miles to go to Southampton and 20 hours in which to accomplish the journey so we should have no trouble at all, and could probably arrive a little earlier than scheduled.

It has been a quiet day on board, it was Jane and I at coffee again, she is going on leave tomorrow and is really looking forward to the break. After that interlude I sat for a while listening to a book, it is too cool to sit outside so I was in the library on deck 10 which is a very grand room and overlooks the walking track. I skipped lunch having had kippers and porridge for breakfast and still being able to taste the fish.

I did some packing and will finish the task later on just before I go to the bar. We played our final game of whist and Mrs P and I were successful again. Thankfully we get off tomorrow or I am sure that someone would nobble us.

I have just got back from my last steam and am clean and shiny, to cool off I went out onto the spa deck, unsurprisingly it was deserted and all of the cushions for the steamer chairs had been removed. There was a small derrick on the foredeck swinging around and as I peered over the work party was busy hoisting 8 or 10 large bundles through the hatch from below, I imagine that they are to be off-loaded tomorrow morning.

Our speed is now 19 knots and we have made the slight starboard turn from north-east to east-north-east so we are now through the Bay and have entered the south-western approaches to the English Channel and have a fairly straight 200 mile run to Southampton.

We have had a great time, have met some lovely people and some decidedly strange ones as well. That just adds to the colour of the experience. The eastern Mediterranean and the Black Seas were both marvellous, some ports were better than others of course but I wouldn’t have missed the experience for the world.

I hope that you have enjoyed travelling with me and you have my thanks for allowing me to intrude into your days and share my experiences and observations. Thank you for your kind comments and support, if you will excuse me I have to go now as I have a bottle of champagne with my name on to finish.

Fin

Update No 2

I attended the get together and there were only 4 of us there plus an entertainment officer who is also called Jane, quite confusing but easy to remember. One lady had slipped as she was about to sit down and fallen to the floor but she said that she was uninjured but was obviously a little shaken.

Sorry, I was suffering form 'swell effects'

We are back in the cabin now and are awaiting 2.15 when we will play whist up in the card room on deck 9. it is a really lovely spacious room which we will share with the bridge players. Normally whist and bridge are kept separate and we are consigned to some dingy area which is totally inappropriate for card playing whilst the few bridge players get treated royally and occupy the prime space. Let’s see how it works out in the end.

And it was ok; there were only 10 whist players so we were fine. Nice tables and nice chairs. We could have done with 6 more players but maybe tomorrow once the word spreads.

Ooops, my OH was one of those afternoon Bridge players!

Update No 21.

I would say that the port is a dump, but that is being unkind to dumps. There is scrap metal piled high on the quay, lines of ancient dusty buses parked as they are no longer required to transport prisoners to the Gulags, broken concrete fences and old rusting containers. The press were here in force as well, I imagine our arrival is news, maybe we are the first cruise ship to ever enter this harbour, or maybe they want pictures of people who are mad enough to do so.

Just the other side of a rusty spike topped fence is a beach, there are a few people walking along it and the mandatory few joggers. It looks quite nice but I will not bother getting off to try it out.

The officer we passed on our way ashore referred to Bourgas thus:

Welcome to Steptoe's scrapyard!"

Update No 27

We have had a very nice dinner and a quiz, we didn’t do very well but some of the questions were quite ambiguous and the host was totally intractable in discussing any variation on the answers that she had written down. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter anyway and a new team won the prize so that will hopefully encourage them to come again.

That was us! OH, 2 of our table and me..

Never managed to win again though!

Thank you so much Capn! The pictures were very nice and I love your captions! Loved the pictures of the needles...wasn't sure what they were. They remind me of the 12 Apostles in Australia. Your comments regarding the small bathroom and shower were spot on according to your pictures..small. The cabin looked quite nice. That port with all the scrap metal and containers was a real eyesore too...you'd think they would clean that up. It was good to see a nice picture of your wife too! Overall, did you like your cruise? The ports seemed interesting too...husband and I were looking at a cruise with those ports and your report has helped...thanks! How was the main dining venue and restaurants as far as decor? Thank you again for your wonderful report and pictures!!!

Barbara

Thank you so much Capn! The pictures were very nice and I love your captions! Loved the pictures of the needles...wasn't sure what they were. They remind me of the 12 Apostles in Australia. Your comments regarding the small bathroom and shower were spot on according to your pictures..small. The cabin looked quite nice. That port with all the scrap metal and containers was a real eyesore too...you'd think they would clean that up. It was good to see a nice picture of your wife too! Overall, did you like your cruise? The ports seemed interesting too...husband and I were looking at a cruise with those ports and your report has helped...thanks! How was the main dining venue and restaurants as far as decor? Thank you again for your wonderful report and pictures!!!

Barbara

The cruise was great and I loved Istanbul and the Black Sea, Constant seemed to be taking over from Paris as the European centre for dog faeces, the restaurant was great

Thanks for the photos and your excellent reports.

Interesting to see that all the sunbeds have been replaced since we were on in June and the steamer chair refurbishing workshop is still continuing on the prom deck.

The photo of a bus you have called "Gulag bus" is actually from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, circa 1980 (or earlier). I lived there for a short time and recognised it as it still has the original Edmonton Transit logo and colours.

I wonder how it got there.

Brian

Archived