luggage label problem

ladyruby

is it essential that you give credit/debit card details when completing cruise info on princess in order to print of luggage labels ?

what if you decide to pay by cash on board instead of card?

do you have to print of the luggage labels or can you make your own with your cabin no on?

thanks

is it essential that you give credit/debit card details when completing cruise info on princess in order to print of luggage labels ?

do you have to print of the luggage labels or can you make your own with your cabin no on?

thanks

You can't make your own labels but if you don't want to print them they say that the pier's luggage handlers have ones similar to those at disembarkation. I actually prefer to print out luggage labels & purchased reusable luggage tag holders to secure them better & easier.

That's a good question about if you're paying cash because as I recall I have to provide a credit card to get my boarding document but there must be another way to do it for those paying cash. :confused:

FYI, the reasons why it's better to print out your luggage tag are: it has the "A" or "F" on it to indicate whether the luggage should go to the forward or aft service elevators, the people handling your luggage need to be able to see your name, cabin # and the elevator location quickly and easily (they're used to seeing the same tag layout which speeds things up), and, there's a bar code that is used to help direct your luggage. Using the ship's luggage tags means you'll get your luggage far faster.

You do have to input some type of credit or debit card information. However, my niece often does so she can print her luggage tags but then she uses cash once we cruise. When you check in at the pier they will ask you for your method of payment. Just let them know you want to pay cash - no problems. I would suggest you use the luggage tags Princess provides. Once you print them off you can take the extra thick tape you use for boxes when you move and cover the tags, punch a hole in the top, use some sort of tie (I got mine at the hardware store - a couple of bucks for 50) and attach to your luggage.

I would suggest you use the luggage tags Princess provides.

Princess' computer-generated luggage tags are high tech. They are color-coded, have a bar code that routes bags to the correct floor and end of the ship. When the bags come on board, a person with a hand-held scanner directs the bag to a holding bin destined for a certain floor. The code also registers acceptance of the bag on board and a listing can be printed that shows cabin numbers. Cross checking will allow Princess to determine that the bag is actually on the ship even if it gets misdirected by some human element.

How do I know this you ask? Well, last trip on the Sapphire we were missing one of our bags and they were able to tell me when the bag came on board and used the roster to quickly find the missing item. Worked out really great for us. Hope this helps.

thanks

they ask for the information but you can pay anyway you choose or use a different card when you get to the embarkation port.

NIta

I agree, Pam. I was amazed at how quickly luggage is delivered now that the new tags are being used. I was one of those who wasn't exactly thrilled with having to print them out, but now see the benefits.

I was concerned as we are flying from here to Montreal for a few days, then taking the rail to Quebec. Of course the tags would get distroyed before we ever get to the ship. I have decide to buy a very small tube of crazy glue or some really sticky glue, not put the tags on until the morning we board the train and this should work fine.

Nita

I was concerned as we are flying from here to Montreal for a few days, then taking the rail to Quebec. Nita

We are on the same cruise, and what we are planning is printing additional tags to be put on before we depart for the ship. We have never had one tag to tear off because we use a hand stapler that makes the luggage tag rigid and reinforced. Some passengers use plastic pouches to encase the tags, but I don't know if that's effective or not. I am ready to board the Crown Princess for our New England -- Canada adventure. How about you?

We are on the same cruise, and what we are planning is printing additional tags to be put on before we depart for the ship. We have never had one tag to tear off because we use a hand stapler that makes the luggage tag rigid and reinforced. Some passengers use plastic pouches to encase the tags, but I don't know if that's effective or not. I am ready to board the Crown Princess for our New England -- Canada adventure. How about you?

Just did the Crown around the UK in Aug 11. Used the Serendipity baggage tag holders and attached to checked luggage and carryons prior to leaving Calgary.

Did National Express coach to Southampton from Gatwick followed by two days in Southampton. All this followed by a taxi ride to the port and VOILA!!! all appeared in a timely manner (within 2 hrs of embarkation) and baggage tags were intact...not even soiled, damaged or wrinkled.

Guess you could say they are effective. The price is right and they are reusable. If I recall they're USD2.50 a piece and you can pay a bit extra for the longer (9 inch) tag holder (reg are 6 inches) plus the cost of shipping.

Got Star booked for Hawaii in 2012 and will re-use the holders again and again, and so on and so on......

Ciao for now!!!

For folks who would like to order tag holders ...... you can access their site at "favors by serendipity dot com" (leaving out the spaces, of course).

Yes, they cost about $2.50 apiece, are made of a heavy, crystal clear plastic, and are reusable. The attaching loops are the 6" as the standard size, but for an extra 25 cents each you can get the 9" loops. I chose the 9" ones because my luggage handles are thick and padded.

Got Star booked for Hawaii in 2012 and will re-use the holders again and again, and so on and so on......

Ciao for now!!!

Captain Ron: We are on the Star for the 3/19/12 SF to Hawaii cruise.

If you are on that...our roll-call is at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312290&page=4

Come join us, it's a pretty good group!

I'm sold on the luggage tag and have placed my order!!

On our cruise at Christmas, we flew into the embarkation port a day early, so had to put paper tags on at the hotel.

What a huge hassle at the hotel borrowing a stapler from the front desk/business center!

I agree, Pam. I was amazed at how quickly luggage is delivered now that the new tags are being used. I was one of those who wasn't exactly thrilled with having to print them out, but now see the benefits.

The same benefits could be realized if Princess still mailed tags to you and included the same information on them.

I have decide to buy a very small tube of crazy glue or some really sticky glue, not put the tags on until the morning we board the train and this should work fine.

What a huge hassle at the hotel borrowing a stapler from the front desk/business center!

I would not trust glue for this.

Instead of using a stapler, I suggest using a hole punch to punch a hole and then use an cable tie to secure it to the suitcase.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/174262/9310838/0/1244518924/Nyoln_BINding_Tie.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/369880/Nyoln_BINding_Tie.html&h=300&w=300&sz=13&tbnid=nIbF6kPlZ2985M:&tbnh=94&tbnw=94&prev=/search%3Fq%3Delectrical%2Btie%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=electrical+tie&docid=krkv-ajhdlpi-M&sa=X&ei=dbt-TqftEOiesQLkotAd&ved=0CM4BEPUBMA4&dur=4103

As much as I hate to disagree with a fellow Texan, the cable tie method makes it easier for the paper tag to tear loose. That's experience, not speculation, talking.

An ages old tried and true technique: A couple proper luggage tag holders.

As much as I hate to disagree with a fellow Texan, the cable tie method makes it easier for the paper tag to tear loose. That's experience, not speculation, talking.

An ages old tried and true technique: A couple proper luggage tag holders.

I have yet to have this combo come apart.

In fact, I find it stronger than the old tags that Princess mailed out. Those I could easily remove. With the properly folded tag and cable tie, I need to use scissors to get it off.

Archived