White clothing?

Blue Butterfly

We have had three mornings with snow on the ground already.:mad:

Living in a colder climate, we don't wear much white in winter (except an off-white considered winter white) and that is great for me. As soon as the warm season was over, I put away my whites and they will be almost new when I wear them on my february cruise. And I've bought a lot of summer/white clothing at end of season sales. So, no white after labour day is wonderful for me :D

As long as there are no offensive messages on t-shirts and that I can't draw your privates from afar, I don't care what other people wear.

Once again, thanks to all the ladies that told me to (basicly) go for it, in regards to wearing my white dress to dinner. I have actually decided to wear white on 2 of the 4 nt cruise I'll be on. Also, have decided to "dress up" (to a certain extent) for all 4 nts of my cruise. Rarely get a chance to dress up at home, so I'm going to make the most of it on this cruise. Planning on wearing a beautiful evening gown (I LOVE THIS DRESS) for elegant/formal night (DH will wear his best suit), and wearing coctail dresses the other 3 nights (2 of them are white, one is black). The more I think about it, the more I realize that a lot of the fashion "rules" are either "outdated" (such as the WHITE rules), or JUST PLAIN REDICULAS!!! I have 2 GROWN daughters (and a grandson), and I've always told my girls "If you feel good in it, WEAR IT!!!" Thanks again ladies, for all of your support/responses to my concerns!:)

Once again, thanks to all the ladies that told me to (basicly) go for it, in regards to wearing my white dress to dinner. I have actually decided to wear white on 2 of the 4 nt cruise I'll be on. Also, have decided to "dress up" (to a certain extent) for all 4 nts of my cruise. Rarely get a chance to dress up at home, so I'm going to make the most of it on this cruise. Planning on wearing a beautiful evening gown (I LOVE THIS DRESS) for elegant/formal night (DH will wear his best suit), and wearing coctail dresses the other 3 nights (2 of them are white, one is black). The more I think about it, the more I realize that a lot of the fashion "rules" are either "outdated" (such as the WHITE rules), or JUST PLAIN REDICULAS!!! I have 2 GROWN daughters (and a grandson), and I've always told my girls "If you feel good in it, WEAR IT!!!" Thanks again ladies, for all of your support/responses to my concerns!:)

Okay, if you are going for it, so will I. Packing now for Oosterdam circling Hawaii next Saturday. I have nearly grown granddaughters so I'm old enough to brave any criticism. By the way, I think you will be gorgeous on formal night. You need to post pictures of THE DRESS for us. Enjoy.

I'm REALLY concerned about one of the dresses that I was planning on taking on my upcoming cruise, after reading this thread! Cruising to the Bahamas on Oct 20th (my B-day:)). This will be 1st cruise for DH & I. One of the (casual) dresses that I was planning on taking for dinner one night (even though it's not summer) is a beautiful/casual white sundress. I live in southeast GA, and although the whole "no white after labor day rule" may have started in the south, it's REALLY WARM/HOT down here, most of the year, and I LOVE TO WEAR WHITE (as one poster mentioned, it shows off a tan)! Now, i'm afraid that if I wear it on the cruise, people will look at me as if I don't know "fashion ettiquette". I don't usually wear ALL WHITE unless it's late spring/summertime (but do sometimes wear a white shirt or capris, when it's warm out, even in the fall/winter), but figured that it would be OK on a cruise to the BAHAMAS/Carribean. Any opinions will be GREATLY appreciated!

People wear white (and summer styles and fabrics) year-round in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

I went shopping yesterday and found a really cute pair of white pants

at Bealls:D...they have some silver embellishment around the ankles

and are a cotton....very summery;). For any of you gals who shop

there it is a brand called "Hearts of Palm". I like them alot. I have a

pair of light blue ones as well.

I am sailing to the Caribbean next month and they are going with me:D

A pink linen dress and white sandals, for example, would look out of place in October (even if it were a mild day), and a brown suede maxi skirt with boots would look odd in May (even if it were a chilly day).

It's the fabric and the garment, not the color. ;) You would wear a pink cashmere sweater or pink wool dress and white boots in October and a brown cotton skirt in May.

White wool, yes, that I could handle......(see - it's not the color, it's the material & style of clothing...)

Exactly. A white turtleneck, white snow boots, white leather gloves, white ski parka, white cashmere whatever, etc. etc. etc. ;)

Going to sail out of San Diego for a trip around the Hawaiian Islands in two weeks. Was planning to take some white pants and several pairs of capris, as well as light summery clothes. It seems like it should be warm in Hawaii. Any opinions? I'm not so sure about my plans for Hawaii. Don't people who live there wear bright summery colors year round?

Yes, they certainly do. Besides summer months, I've been to Hawaii in October, November, January, and February, and always brought bright summery clothes.

On our last 10-day trip in Jan. 2011, we had beautiful sunshine and temperatures in the low to mid 70s every day except one, when the winds reached 50 mph and the rain just poured down. Oh, well, we put our exercise clothes on, drove to a gym, afterwards to a bakery and then shopping. Great way to spend a rainy day in Hawaii!;)

So do bring your summer clothes but be prepared with a rain jacket and long pants, too - just in case....:)

Archived