White clothing?

Blue Butterfly

I am asking what some people may consider a silly question, but I regularly see queries on this site about wearing white in autumn and winter. I must be very stupid, but what is the problem with white (apart from white stilettos, that is)?

Is it an American custom - and how did it come about?

Once upon a time and predominantly in the southern part of the US (though it was elsewhere as well), it was considered proper to only wear white from Memorial Day to Labor Day - both are US holidays. Though many wore white or at least white shoes at Easter which is always before Memorial Day. This was especially true for the Mary Jane patent leather shoes - black ones for most of the year, white ones only during summer. In fact, girls were labeled as sluts if they wore their white shoes before or after summer.

It's an outdated American etiquette "rule" that, from what I've read, was used to distinguish the wealthy from the not so fortunate. Wearing dark clothing was also more practical in areas where there was rain, mud, snow, since it wouldn't show dirt as easily. White or light colored clothing was considered to be lighter weight than other fabrics and only suitable for summer months.

Wealthy people wearing white in winter would show people they had summer homes in Florida and could afford to get away from the rain, mud, snow.

My take is that people like rules, they like being confined to what is considered "normal". That particular "rule" has stuck for almost a hundred years now in America and just can't be shaken. I have no idea why many women just seem so stuck in their ways. Also, many people here ask about wearing white in the Caribbean...you have to remember it's a silly American rule, other countries don't care, especially warm weather destinations.

I have a former boss who remembers when a proper lady always wore gloves when going to the city. Not that many years ago, men always wore hats. Why cannot the public let go of this one? There is no practical reason for it (except if you live where you will get dirty from mud). People walk around with their underwear showing, clothes so tight you can see their boobs and booties outlined. Many women here state that hosiery is "out"...not so, I think you have to make the determination whether your legs look good enough bare for yourself.

So in reality, there is no problem, only perception.

You know what? When I see a woman at home wearing white after Labor Day, I always think to myself, "She's wearing white.". I guess it's the way we were brought up in our generation. I never say anything, nor would I, but in my mind I always think it. Oh well!

I think it too (assuming we're talking about white linen pants or a light weight cotton trouser, or white shoes) I personally don't wear white dresses outside of the summer when I'm at home (as mentioned, travel in the tropics changes my personal style rules) I don't wear white pants ever. Again - these are my choices. And I don't say anything about the choices other people make unless my opinion is asked. But I *will* notice it. The same way I would notice someone wearing clothing that doesn't fit or undergarments that are showing.....

I don't know how "generational" this is - I'm in my 30s:rolleyes:

i wear white tank tops or tops but as far as white goes thats it...anytime of the year too, i dont care about white after labor day or that others wear or really think about it much.

i only really wear white on a cruise for the NCL White Hot Party--then its white capris and white tank.

i see alot of women on cruises wearing white.

I'm REALLY concerned about one of the dresses that I was planning on taking on my upcoming cruise, after reading this thread! Cruising to the Bahamas on Oct 20th (my B-day:)). This will be 1st cruise for DH & I. One of the (casual) dresses that I was planning on taking for dinner one night (even though it's not summer) is a beautiful/casual white sundress. I live in southeast GA, and although the whole "no white after labor day rule" may have started in the south, it's REALLY WARM/HOT down here, most of the year, and I LOVE TO WEAR WHITE (as one poster mentioned, it shows off a tan)! Now, i'm afraid that if I wear it on the cruise, people will look at me as if I don't know "fashion ettiquette". I don't usually wear ALL WHITE unless it's late spring/summertime (but do sometimes wear a white shirt or capris, when it's warm out, even in the fall/winter), but figured that it would be OK on a cruise to the BAHAMAS/Carribean. Any opinions will be GREATLY appreciated!

I'm REALLY concerned about one of the dresses that I was planning on taking on my upcoming cruise, after reading this thread! Cruising to the Bahamas on Oct 20th (my B-day:)). This will be 1st cruise for DH & I. One of the (casual) dresses that I was planning on taking for dinner one night (even though it's not summer) is a beautiful/casual white sundress. I live in southeast GA, and although the whole "no white after labor day rule" may have started in the south, it's REALLY WARM/HOT down here, most of the year, and I LOVE TO WEAR WHITE (as one poster mentioned, it shows off a tan)! Now, i'm afraid that if I wear it on the cruise, people will look at me as if I don't know "fashion ettiquette". I don't usually wear ALL WHITE unless it's late spring/summertime (but do sometimes wear a white shirt or capris, when it's warm out, even in the fall/winter), but figured that it would be OK on a cruise to the BAHAMAS/Carribean. Any opinions will be GREATLY appreciated!

Personally, I would wear your whites while in the Caribbean.

Personally, I would wear your whites while in the Caribbean.

Her whites may not fit you. Bwahahaha!!! *sniff* just kidding. :D ;)

smist, I think your casual white sundress will be perfect for a Bahamas cruise. Like someone else said, this concern/custom probably isn't even thought of outside of North America. Caribbean, Bahamas, Europe - all wear white year round. Most of the locals in Santorini, Greece were wearing white clothing, even the men. :) It's wonderful and cool. You will look great. :)

Absolutely bring your white dress - you'll be in the Bahamas, so who cares that it's October!;)

We'll be going on a 15-day Fort Lauderdale to Lima, Peru, cruise in January 2012, through the Panama Canal, and I'm bringing three white dresses, white pants, white capris, and several white blouses to wear. The further south we go, the hotter and more tropical, so white is perfect. I'll even bring some white shoes, too!:)

Now, i'm afraid that if I wear it on the cruise, people will look at me as if I don't know "fashion ettiquette". I don't usually wear ALL WHITE unless it's late spring/summertime (but do sometimes wear a white shirt or capris, when it's warm out, even in the fall/winter), but figured that it would be OK on a cruise to the BAHAMAS/Carribean. Any opinions will be GREATLY appreciated!

This 'rule' only exists in the USA and no-one else really gives a damn about the colors you wear. People really call others sluts if they wear white between these USA (only) holiday dates?

I first read about this White rule on Cruise Critic a couple of weeks ago, and I am still getting my head around it. As soon as you leave the shores of USA then it no longer exists.

Smist, read through this thread more carefully, no one has stated you cannot wear white, quite the contrary. What most of us are stating is that it is an outdated silly "rule" that some fashion designers made up back in the 1920's that has no pertinence to life today.

The only thing is some people just can't get over it.

Wear your white dress on your cruise! If someone objects to it, it is their problem, not yours.

Once upon a time and predominantly in the southern part of the US (though it was elsewhere as well), it was considered proper to only wear white from Memorial Day to Labor Day - both are US holidays. Though many wore white or at least white shoes at Easter which is always before Memorial Day. This was especially true for the Mary Jane patent leather shoes - black ones for most of the year, white ones only during summer. In fact, girls were labeled as sluts if they wore their white shoes before or after summer.

oh my gosh, I had completely forgotten it, but now you mention it I remember hearing that about white shoes when I was in high school in the "deep south". Girls who wore them when it wasn't summer were said to have no class.

Maybe that's why I have some weird inhibition about wearing white shoes to this day.....

A lot of people get hung up on the dates that are a part of the "Don't wear white" rule -- but they were only chosen to be an easy-to-remember way to designate the summer season.

Thank you everyone for all this information about the "white" issue. As more than one of you has said, this is indeed an American custom and was certainly unfamiliar to me in the UK when I saw it mentioned in the forum.

I can understand why wearing white shoes is something of a no-no, however. Nothing to do with being sluttish, everything to do with seeming to make feet look bigger...........

OHMY - I can't wait to wear white when I cruise- I always cruise in the winter and coming from Canada I am so excited to get into my summer/cruise clothes again - many of which ARE WHITE - I love wearing all white too (and yes can't wait for some 'color' so they look even better). Of course back here in winter it's black and more black and more black.....well you get the picture!

I live in a northern climate, and I grew up with this “rule” about when to wear white. It comes from the perception that white is considered a summery color, and Memorial Day and Labor Day are the unofficial beginning and end of summer . I don’t know if it’s unique to the northern U.S. , where we have distinct seasons , but around here, certain fabrics and colors are considered more seasonal than others. A pink linen dress and white sandals, for example, would look out of place in October (even if it were a mild day), and a brown suede maxi skirt with boots would look odd in May (even if it were a chilly day). Since it’s effectively summer year-round in the Caribbean, I wear summery colors and fabrics on my cruises, no matter what month it is.

That being said, we are all free to break whatever fashion rules we want. I wear mom jeans and totally passé sweater vests. :p

When I'm home I don't usually wear white after Labor Day. By then it's a little too cool to be wearing the summer clothes anyway. When we vacation on a cruise or go to Vegas or Florida I always wear white no matter what month is it. It is cooler and just feels tropical. We will be in Vegas in February and I will be taking my white sundress and capris. Our cruise next month I will be packing lots of white! :) I have never noticed if anyone wears white or not. Doesn't matter to me.

We will be in Vegas in February and I will be taking my white sundress and capris.

But...Vegas isn't tropical. And in February, can get dang cold. And extremely windy. I've been there in Jan/Feb for trade shows many of the past 10 years. I would never pack a white (or any color) sundress or capris for February in the high desert.

White wool, yes, that I could handle......(see - it's not the color, it's the material & style of clothing...)

But...Vegas isn't tropical. And in February, can get dang cold. And extremely windy. I've been there in Jan/Feb for trade shows many of the past 10 years. I would never pack a white (or any color) sundress or capris for February in the high desert.

White wool, yes, that I could handle......(see - it's not the color, it's the material & style of clothing...)

Ahhh, not thinking then. LOL I have been to Vegas in March, June and September. All were over 90 degrees. I keep forgetting that LV gets a bit nippy. LOL Guess it will be warmer clothes for me in FEb. If I go to warm climates though I always bring white no matter what month it is. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Going to sail out of San Diego for a trip around the Hawaiian Islands in two weeks. Was planning to take some white pants and several pairs of capris, as well as light summery clothes. It seems like it should be warm in Hawaii. Any opinions? I spent last January and February in Daytona Beach, Florida last year and was very surprised that most people there wore woolens, dark colors, and sweaters, but there were some pretty cold days. I took beach wear, so I'm not so sure about my plans for Hawaii. Don't people who live there wear bright summery colors year round?

I live in the Orlando area. Last winter I had icicles on my palm trees. It was cold. We had a number of days where it never got out of the 40's during the day and was below freezing at night. We could easily tell the tourists--they were the ones shivering in shorts and t-shirts because, hey, they were in Florida and "it's always warm there." (Insert snicker and eye roll)

I wear the same things in Florida that I wore when I lived up north. Well, maybe not the really heavy wools, but definitely long sleeves, light weight wools, jeans, shoes with socks, jackets, and yes, even scarves, mittens, and a hat when it's really cold. I just don't start wearing them in October and finish in May. Now I start usually in late December and put them away by mid-March, and I don't need a coat every day, but definitely need at least a sweater on all but the rarest morning and evening.

The only people who wear white in Orlando in the winter are tourists and old ladies in orthopedic shoes.

Archived