Children in Hot tubs

iceleven

I know, this is a topic that has been through here numerous times, especially after the summer break and many adults want to vent about too many children occupying the hot tubs that specifically state rules of age limits, etc. Today I came by a website that lists accidents and crimes from a variety of cruise lines. After reading this I am hopeful that parents of children who allow their underage children to use hot tubs unsupervised will re-consider. This happened this year.

The Beaver County Times reportson a 72 year old man pleaded guilty to a charge of travel with intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct. He traveled to Florida for the voyage aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, FBI investigators said. A few days after the trip began, he got into a hot tub with a 6-year-old boy and touched the boy's genitals. Federal prosecutors said video surveillance showed the man getting into a Jacuzzi in a water-amusement area on the ship on Dec. 18 and placing a 6-year-old boy on his lap for about three minutes. He released the boy when other people approached, prosecutors said. The surveillance video also showed him approaching another young boy in a second Jacuzzi. On the video, the boy gets up and runs away after the man touches his lower back, prosecutors said. He faces a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison, a $250,000 fine, or both.

Going on a vacation doesn't mean that common sense should be left behind at home. Crime is still going on aboard ships.

Wasn't it aboard the Carnival Glory a few years ago that a sex offender was arrested after he fell overboard, and when he was fished out by the Coast Guard a few hours later and they started questioning the guy, they realized that he was on the ship traveling with a minor??

Going on a vacation doesn't mean that common sense should be left behind at home. Crime is still going on aboard ships.

Wasn't it aboard the Carnival Glory a few years ago that a sex offender was arrested after he fell overboard, and when he was fished out by the Coast Guard a few hours later and they started questioning the guy, they realized that he was on the ship traveling with a minor??

i remember that story, but i thought he was vindicated.

Okay would a six year old be in a hot tub alone? You would think that if parents were nearby at all, this would not have happened. I would think if I had a six year old I would not let him/her near any body without supervision, even if he/she was a good swimmer. Perhaps I am overprotective. But I don't think I would let my six year old be unattended anyway.

Okay would a six year old be in a hot tub alone? You would think that if parents were nearby at all, this would not have happened. I would think if I had a six year old I would not let him/her near any body without supervision, even if he/she was a good swimmer. Perhaps I am overprotective. But I don't think I would let my six year old be unattended anyway.

Where where the parents?? I am so sick of parents not stepping up and doing their job! A cruise ship is not a playground! If this happened under the care of ship personel then you bet I would be angry. I am angry at the entire situation of course but if there had been proper supervision (parents) this would not have occurred! JMHO!

I agree.

Logical. BUT the parents are ON VACATION! :rolleyes::eek:

i remember that story, but i thought he was vindicated.

I Googled the story and it said that the boy he was traveling with recanted, but that it was discovered that he had taken other cruises with other minor boys, and their stories involved alcohol, drugs and illicit acts. Very scary.

Uh, totally not overprotective. I don't even let my 10 year old out of my site. I am just starting to let my 13 year old daughter venture on her own. I am not comfortable at all even now leaving them alone. I don't trust anyone. I think that goes from living in Milwaukee for years. Even though we moved to the suburbs, I still don't feel safe with them out of my sight.

I Googled the story and it said that the boy he was traveling with recanted, but that it was discovered that he had taken other cruises with other minor boys, and their stories involved alcohol, drugs and illicit acts. Very scary.

Just a thought, but who in their right minds would let their minor son travel with an adult male alone? THAT is what's scary.

Archived