beaches...

m-mello

In my opinion the best beach is at Trunk Bay on St Johns. When you get off the ship take a taxi to Red Hook and get on the St Johns ferry. From there you can jump on a shuttle to Trunk Bay. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. If you plan accordingly, you will easily be able to get there and back before the ship departs. :) It is a national park so there will be an entrance fee. They also have lockers you can store valuables.

Have a great time wherever you end up.:p

Larry

I agree...Trunk Bay on St John's. However...if you are not going via a ship's tour, you'll have to take a cab to the ferry, take the ferry, take another cab to Trunk Bay, pay to get into Trunk Bay and then...reverse. I think for the two of us it was around $70 to go to Trunk Bay for a couple of hours and with all of the transportation(s) it was an all day affair. A very nice beach pretty close to the Havensight Docks is Morningstar Beach. I think it was a $10 cab ride and about 15 minutes. I'm not sure, but I'v been told that with few exceptions, all lines other than HAL and Princess dock at Havensight. HAL & Princess dock at what they refer to as the "Sub base Dock" . Even if you dock there, I don't think the cab ride would be more than 10/15 minutes longer than the ride from Havensight. I think Megan's Bay in St Thomas, although probably the prettiest to look at from the mountain above, is very over rated as a beach.

My favorite in St. Thomas is Magen's Bay...it is breathtaking!!! It was in National Geographic as the world's top 10 most beautiful beaches..(i think it was # 7). We went in 2009 and will be going again to Magens Bay this Feb when we go on RCI Oasis. I believe it was only a 15 min taxi ride from where the ships dock. It looked like paradise. Never been to St. Johns yet.

We did the trip over to St John on the ferry and rented a jeep when we got there. Then we took off and drove to several different beaches - every one more beautiful than the last! It was great, we could get out and walk or swim or just look. Most of them were completely deserted. Wonderful day!

I owned a home on St John for many years. Trunk Bay is the most famous, but the tourist have really plundered it. (Read cruise ship tourists by the droves!) It is crowded and the snorkeling is lousy (compared to other ares on St John) due to tourists not respecting the coral formations and walking on, touching, etc. If you go one beach further, to Cinnamon Bay, you will enjoy. It still has alot of tourists, but not the cruise ship boats/tenders. even better is the last beach up the north shore, Hawksnest. Our favorite North Shore beach, although the cabs don't come back for you unless you specifically make arrangements. Cinnamon Bay has an area where the cabs hang out waiting to take you back to town.

Enjoy and feel free to ask away about St John!

In my opinion the best beach is at Trunk Bay on St Johns. When you get off the ship take a taxi to Red Hook and get on the St Johns ferry. From there you can jump on a shuttle to Trunk Bay. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. If you plan accordingly, you will easily be able to get there and back before the ship departs. :) It is a national park so there will be an entrance fee. They also have lockers you can store valuables.

Have a great time wherever you end up.:p

Larry

I agree. Trunk Bay is Beautiful

We were married on Lindquist Beach in St. Thomas last year. Incredibly beautiful beach, no one there at all. I think it is a national park? The downside (though it may be an upside for some!) is that there are no facilities on the beach at all. But if a pristine Caribbean beach is what you are looking for...Lindquist is it.

Archived