Best Piano Entertainer on Carnival? (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

I don't think John looked closely at the end of contract date. Brad just confirmed for me that he gets off the ship on Saturday.

Sorry! I'm trying to get the replacement's name.

Happy Cruising,

Laura

I was hoping that wasn't the case.... I also emailed Brad when John told me he would still be performing in April but I have not heard back from him. Oh well, I wonder who we will get.

Just got off the Inspiration and Tom Grable was pretty good. Only once did I see the audience get a little out of control with the tambourine, cow bell, and Maracas that Tom brought in there.

??

and the audience getting a little "out of control", is relevant to "Tom"..."how"??

??

and the audience getting a little "out of control", is relevant to "Tom"..."how"??

He brought the stuff in there, then had a little trouble with people disrupting the entertainment with those items. I just thought he did a nice job of entertaining without the audience screwing around with the props.

Just off Freedom with Marty Gast. In my previous cruises, my DW and I spent little time inside the piano bars. They were kinda like the disco on a HAL ship about 1 AM. This cruise we stumbled by to check it out, and ended up closing the place down. The place was packed nightly, and the audience seemed to be having as much fun participating as Marty was in entertaining us. He was a pretty darn good piano player (although he needs to work on his Scott Joplin ragtime stuff! ;)) , funny, and an absolute joy to watch and listen to. Handled all our requests with ease, and entertained us immensely. We couldn't have had more fun. Hats off to Marty for a job very well done!

I was hoping that wasn't the case.... I also emailed Brad when John told me he would still be performing in April but I have not heard back from him. Oh well, I wonder who we will get.

So the Splendor has now left on its first cruise out of NY. They must know by now who replaced Brad. Anyone???

Just off Freedom with Marty Gast. In my previous cruises, my DW and I spent little time inside the piano bars. They were kinda like the disco on a HAL ship about 1 AM. This cruise we stumbled by to check it out, and ended up closing the place down. The place was packed nightly, and the audience seemed to be having as much fun participating as Marty was in entertaining us. He was a pretty darn good piano player (although he needs to work on his Scott Joplin ragtime stuff! ;)) , funny, and an absolute joy to watch and listen to. Handled all our requests with ease, and entertained us immensely. We couldn't have had more fun. Hats off to Marty for a job very well done!

Marty put on a great show every time..he does need to expand his repertoire a bit....heard the same songs over and over. He handled the douche bag college kids pretty well. I would have lost my sh!t the way some of them were acting.

We sailed on the liberty a few weeks ago and benjamin gentry was just coming to the end of his contract in the piano bar, his first contract too.

Was excellent all week, the bar was always busy and great fun, one of the best piano entertainers I've seen in many many cruises. Hope he decides to go back to carnival for more contracts.

Just off the Liberty. Peter Brenner was banging and yelling just like the video posted earlier in the thread. Bad. We did not spend any time there.

Seems like a nice guy but we have sailed with him twice and spent hardly any time in piano bar.

We sailed on the liberty a few weeks ago and benjamin gentry was just coming to the end of his contract in the piano bar, his first contract too.

Was excellent all week, the bar was always busy and great fun, one of the best piano entertainers I've seen in many many cruises. Hope he decides to go back to carnival for more contracts.

Ben does plan on doing more contracts, he said he will let everyone know where he goes next. If I hear I will report back

Sorry for the lack of updates, I'm hearing rumblings of more changes behind the scenes, it's been a little harder to get the names through semi official channels. Plus, my actual life also intrudes on occasion. Fortunately we have other folks reporting back, so I have a couple names. But I still have some holes I've been working on. There's been a bit of juggling and some weeding out and changes, so more than ever, I think this schedule may be subject to change.

Breeze: Ron Pass 11/6/2012 - 6/2/2013 http://www.ronpass.com

Conquest:

2/22/2013 - 4/12/2013: Destiny becomes Sunshine!

Dream: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 12/15/2012 - 4/13/2013 http://www.facebook.com/bob.berhalter

Dream: Bruce McGhie 4/13/2013 - ???

Ecstasy: Martin Alex Aucoin current - 8/31/2013 http://www.martinalexaucoin.com/

Elation: Michael Geier current - 5/9/2013

Fantasy: Jim Morris 2/8/2013 - 6/9/2013

Fascination: Rob Crucilla 1/19/2013 - 7/18/2013

Freedom: Derek Robertson 3/31/2013 - 5/12/2013

Freedom: Marty Gast 5/12/2013 - 11/2/2013 http://www.*****/MartyGast

Freedom Drydock 11/2/2013 - 11/16/2013

Glory: James Quigley 3/10/2013 - 8/11/2013 http://www.jamespquigley.com

Imagination: Hrvoje "Mr. H" Knezevic 2/18/2013 - 8/19/2013

Inspiration: Tom Grable 2/8/2013 - 8/8/2013

Legend: Keith Turner 11/18/2012 - 5/16/2013

Legend: Michael Dardis 5/16/2013 - 10/10/2013

Liberty: Peter Brenner 3/23/2013 - 7/20/2013

Magic: Michael O'Quinn 1/13/2013 -5/12/2013

Magic: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 5/12/2013 - 9/15/2013 http://www.facebook.com/bob.berhalter

Miracle: Dave Filsinger 2/18/2013 - 6/4/2013

Paradise: Angela Johnson 3/14/2013 - 9/16/2013

Pride: Roger Concepcion 2/10/2013 - ???

Sensation:Russell Villarin 2/21/2013 - ??? http://villarinfamily.wix.com/pinoypianoman

Spirit:

Splendor:

Triumph: Drydock until 4/13/2013 (at least)

Valor: Gregory George 3/24/2013 - ???

Victory: Dana Honey 11/4/2012 - 4/6/2013

*** A note about this list: This list is compiled from reports and reviews of current cruisers and reports from the entertainers themselves. There is no guarantee of accuracy. An actual date usually means that the schedule has been confirmed by either the performer or someone inside Carnival. Schedules are subject to change. Also, this list is updated very regularly, so if it's not on the list, we probably don't know it.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I'm hearing rumblings of more changes behind the scenes, it's been a little harder to get the names through semi official channels. Plus, my actual life also intrudes on occasion. Fortunately we have other folks reporting back, so I have a couple names. But I still have some holes I've been working on. There's been a bit of juggling and some weeding out and changes, so more than ever, I think this schedule may be subject to change.

Breeze: Ron Pass 11/6/2012 - 6/2/2013 http://www.ronpass.com

Conquest:

2/22/2013 - 4/12/2013: Destiny becomes Sunshine!

Dream: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 12/15/2012 - 4/13/2013 http://www.facebook.com/bob.berhalter

Dream: Bruce McGhie 4/13/2013 - ???

Ecstasy: Martin Alex Aucoin current - 8/31/2013 http://www.martinalexaucoin.com/

Elation: Michael Geier current - 5/9/2013

Fantasy: Jim Morris 2/8/2013 - 6/9/2013

Fascination: Rob Crucilla 1/19/2013 - 7/18/2013

Freedom: Derek Robertson 3/31/2013 - 5/12/2013

Freedom: Marty Gast 5/12/2013 - 11/2/2013 http://www.*****/MartyGast

Freedom Drydock 11/2/2013 - 11/16/2013

Glory: James Quigley 3/10/2013 - 8/11/2013 http://www.jamespquigley.com

Imagination: Hrvoje "Mr. H" Knezevic 2/18/2013 - 8/19/2013

Inspiration: Tom Grable 2/8/2013 - 8/8/2013

Legend: Keith Turner 11/18/2012 - 5/16/2013

Legend: Michael Dardis 5/16/2013 - 10/10/2013

Liberty: Peter Brenner 3/23/2013 - 7/20/2013

Magic: Michael O'Quinn 1/13/2013 -5/12/2013

Magic: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 5/12/2013 - 9/15/2013 http://www.facebook.com/bob.berhalter

Miracle: Dave Filsinger 2/18/2013 - 6/4/2013

Paradise: Angela Johnson 3/14/2013 - 9/16/2013

Pride: Roger Concepcion 2/10/2013 - ???

Sensation:Russell Villarin 2/21/2013 - ??? http://villarinfamily.wix.com/pinoypianoman

Spirit:

Splendor:

Triumph: Drydock until 4/13/2013 (at least)

Valor: Gregory George 3/24/2013 - ???

Victory: Dana Honey 11/4/2012 - 4/6/2013

*** A note about this list: This list is compiled from reports and reviews of current cruisers and reports from the entertainers themselves. There is no guarantee of accuracy. An actual date usually means that the schedule has been confirmed by either the performer or someone inside Carnival. Schedules are subject to change. Also, this list is updated very regularly, so if it's not on the list, we probably don't know it.

Hopefully we will find out the splendor soon. Just read a review from last cruise but all they said was it was a women.

Someone just off the NYC sailing of the Splendor said the piano players name was Hailey.

I see you are going on the Splendor next week. You will have to let us know after your cruise how she is, don't know her. We are sailing 2 weeks after you.

Just saw that the our PB entertainer for the Dream on 4/27 has changed from Martin Alex Aucion to Bruce McGhie. Through some previous research through the FB group and here, it appeared as though Alex was pretty dull compared to the PB greats. I'm not finding as much info on Bruce, but what little I have seems to be pretty good. Can anyone here offer up a recent review of Bruce, his style and if the PB was truly a party place? On our last two cruises we were treated to Marty Gast and Jason Davis and we had a blast.

Looking forward to some replies!

Just saw that the our PB entertainer for the Dream on 4/27 has changed from Martin Alex Aucion to Bruce McGhie. Through some previous research through the FB group and here, it appeared as though Alex was pretty dull compared to the PB greats. I'm not finding as much info on Bruce, but what little I have seems to be pretty good. Can anyone here offer up a recent review of Bruce, his style and if the PB was truly a party place? On our last two cruises we were treated to Marty Gast and Jason Davis and we had a blast.

Hey if you loved Marty then you might be interested in what a bunch of us are doing on Oct 27 on the Freedom. We are doing The "Party with Marty" Halloween Cruise. It is Marty's own little group cruise. But you book it on your own. We will have more info on Marty's Peeps page on fb and here. Like I said it is not an official group cruise, just a bunch of Piano Bar lovers getting together with their favorite PBE. We will have a cocktail party or two with Marty and a costume contest.

I sailed with Bruce twice on the Glory in 2010. I very much enjoyed his piano bar. He's a little lower key, not the big, loud frat party type. But he works hard to get everyone involved with lots of singing along and trivia and develops a nice rapport with his regulars. He's very charming and has a large repertoire (though lighter on current music) He had a nice hardcore group that filled the seats around his piano every night on the cruises I took with him.

This is what I wrote about him after I sailed with him the first time:

"I just got off the Glory this past Saturday. I spent every night in the piano bar and had a blast. Bruce is a sweet and talented Scotsman (excellent accent!). Lower key than some. His playlist is varied and always includes lots more than what is just on the list he hands out, but pretty lean when it comes to current songs.

He does a good job making everyone feel included and welcome and absolutely loves audience participation, often dropping out and letting the audience sing and pointing out and featuring someone who is singing along enthusiastically. He's got an extra microphone for people who want to sing and it often got passed around. Early on he often does trivia and "Name that Tune" stuff to help people get involved (I can name that tune in 250 notes! LOL)

It can get a bit repetitious as he finds what works with his audience, on our cruise he had 20 somethings to 70 somethings in his bar, and he works to please everyone, that was quite an age gap to straddle. And he accommodates requests as he can, almost to a fault... Oh, if I never hear "Rhinestone Cowboy" again, it will be too soon! LOL!

His is one of those piano bars where it can be nice just listening and chatting with just a few people in the bar (as it was early on the first night) or a lot of fun with a big raucous group which it became later on in the cruise. The people in the bar and their willingness to participate definitely make a big difference. Seats around the bar were at a premium by the second night of our cruise as his "hardcores" found their way to the bar. The first night worried him a bit as he said that the previous two cruises were rip-roaring from the get go.

Just make sure it's after midnight before you ask him what his favorite thing to wear under his kilt is! LOL!"

If you scan on the old thread you can find earlier reviews of him and they are all good.

He certainly has his fans (of which I am one), there is one lady on the Piano Barbarians FB page that sailed with him last July and raves about him:

Tammy B: you will love him. We sailed with him last July and had the absolute best time! I truly cannot say enough about him. He is wonderful.

Sunday at 5:44pm · Like · 1

So, go and enjoy!

Happy Sailing,

Laura