Spa personnel tipping?

dawne577

Yes, its customary to tip them. I usually tip $5 for a manicure and $10 for a massage but other people probably tip more than I do. I also tip $10 for a facial. Hope this helps. There are proably similar threads other places.pj

When Princess was running the Spa on the Diamond, Sapphire and Caribbean, they automatically added a 15% gratuity on to the charge for spa services. Now that it's back to being run by Steiner (big mistake in my opinion) the tip is not automatic. I generally tip 20% on ships and at home.

The tip is no longer added since Steiner has taken over the Spa services. This was pointed out to me by my massage thereapist two weeks ago on the Golden Princess.

The massage therapist pointed it out to you?? Was it done tactfully??

Hello, KMP,

I would tip $5 per person for a half hour. That would be a customary amount in the industry. I hold an Esthetician License, although I no longer practice. I would be thrilled with that tip.

You will love the Spa experience. I always spend a lot of money there. :eek:

If you are not accustomed to treatments, just remember to communicate with your therapist. If you want more or less pressure, be sure to speak up and tell them right away. ;)

On the Caribbean Princess last summer, my daughter did not care for her massage. I told her it is her own fault that she didn't say, "I do not care for that music, can you please change it?" and "I like a lot of pressure, please."

The Therapist is a stranger to you, but knows her craft well. You just need to tell her how you like it because everyone is different. :cool:

My grandson (16) loved it - his first one. Grama made him do it. He liked the ped best because he could continue to play with his Game Boy while enjoying it. :D

Hello, KMP,

I would tip $5 per person for a half hour. That would be a customary amount in the industry. I hold an Esthetician License, although I no longer practice. I would be thrilled with that tip.

You will love the Spa experience. I always spend a lot of money there. :eek:

If you are not accustomed to treatments, just remember to communicate with your therapist. If you want more or less pressure, be sure to speak up and tell them right away. ;)

On the Caribbean Princess last summer, my daughter did not care for her massage. I told her it is her own fault that she didn't say, "I do not care for that music, can you please change it?" and "I like a lot of pressure, please."

The Therapist is a stranger to you, but knows her craft well. You just need to tell her how you like it because everyone is different. :cool:

My grandson (16) loved it - his first one. Grama made him do it. He liked the ped best because he could continue to play with his Game Boy while enjoying it. :D

I have to disagree with that! I am a working esthetician and I would not be happy with a $5.00 tip! :eek: Please! My tips make up a large portion of my wage. It is ,of course up to the guest to tip what she or he feels like the service deserves but if as you say you "love the spa experience" then I assume that you liked the service. Where I work 15 to 20 % is the norm. Sometimes people tip more sometimes less but that is about the average.

Aloha,

Ginger

If it was a good massage, always 20% just like I tip at home. If it was part of a package, find out how much it would be to buy seperate and tip based on that amount. Same with gift certificates. I received a $100 gift certificate for the spa, and I still tipped $20.

I stand corrected. I will tip more for the spa services in future. I will add that I did buy some of the products being promoted also. But in future I will tip 20%. See, you can always learn something from these boards. pj

Steiner spa employees really push the Steiner products and I would think for what they sell, they do get something out of it. It can get really tiresome to say no more then twice. With that said, on the Carribean Princess in Feb my 16 year old had the seeweed wrap and massage. She has back problems that were addressed. When I went over to meet her afterwords the spa attendent had given her over her over 70.00 worth of free products! I could not believe it! She was told please not to say a word to anyone. I tried to find this person but he was already with another client. Needless to say he got a nice tip.

I agree that it is disappointing that Princess has returned to Steiners. I have had many disappointing encounters with them. I always carefully check my billing as it is rarely correct.

The RCCL board has a thread discussing the "product pushing" tactics. One person commented that she states up front "I tip well - if you mention product sales, your tip will rapidly decrease". Might work!

Archived