Trying again, PR Birth Certificate Question

stephaniekleinn

Ok here's a good one for you. My friend was born in Puerto Rico but has lived in the states since she was a child, obviuosly she's a US citizen. Sometime in 2010 Puerto Rico nullified all of their birth certificates due to counterfeiting and required everyone to apply for a new birth certificate. There was no rush, she had a passport, so she didn't apply to get the new birth certificate.

We are due to cruise in 5 days, she can't find her passport, but she has her old, "invalid" birth certificate. I called RCCL and they said it wouldn't be a problem but she called and they told her she would not be able to board.

Has anyone faced this issue and if so, what was the outcome?

Thanks!

Tell her to keep looking for her passport. Look where she used it last...a carry on bag, a different purse than normal, all her desk drawers etc...

In the future, passports should be kept in the same place all the time. We keep ours in our home safe.

She may be fine, she may not. Not until it's history will she know for sure. It would be a shame to lose out on a cruise just because a person doesn't have the proper ID.

It's a shame she just now started to look for her travel documents. She could have applied for a new Passport or birth certificate if she had more time.

Hope she finds her passport and you both have a great crusie.

Given you and she got different responses as to whether she can board, there's a fifty-fifty chance.

Good luck.

The problem with PR birth certificates has become much more widely known. It just depends on the training of the check in clerk as to whether she makes it on the ship. Not to mention the hassle she will undergo by immigration on her return (Now, they are really are up to date on this issue.)

Would someone explain the issue regarding birth certificates from Puerto Rico. I understand there is something about counterfeits but what is someone to do if they no longer live in Puerto Rico but are now in a stateside city and cannot return soon to Puerto Rico to handle this?

This is the first I've heard there is some issue.

Thanks.

Would someone explain the issue regarding birth certificates from Puerto Rico. I understand there is something about counterfeits but what is someone to do if they no longer live in Puerto Rico but are now in a stateside city and cannot return soon to Puerto Rico to handle this?

This is the first I've heard there is some issue.

Thanks.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_4807.html

You don't have to go to Puerto Rico to solve this problem. As of October 30, 2010 the OP's friend's BC is no longer valid, so I understand why it will not be accepted. I hope she finds her passport.

Obviously she normally keeps her documents in a safe, as well all do. However she traveled recently and also relocated within the same two week period. Items get misplaced. I know what we "could have" done, I was asking if anyone has run into this problem. We're all praying she finds it. Thank you.

It's probably a similiar issue as what happened in Jersey City several years ago. There were so many false certificates out there from that location, that they no longer had a way to tell which ones were valid and which ones weren't. So the only solution was to say if your birth certificate was issued before X-date it is no longer valid. And yes, immigration officials are definitely aware of cases like this and do enforce it.

Hi there-- I have a very similar problem in that my friend & I are due to cruise in 4 days and she also has an expired birth certificate from Puerto Rico. I am very stressed that she may not be allowed to board with that as her only proof of citizenship!! Is there anyone out there who has recently encountered this problem & if so--what happened at the port?

Stephanie--I'm wishing you & your friend good luck on your upcoming trip!! If at all possible do you think you could post the outcome here before you go? I'm dying to know if it all works out ok for your friend since mine has the same expired certificate that she wants to try to use this Saturday!! It would really put my mind at ease to know your friend got to board with no issues prior to us showing up at the port :). Thank you and GOOD LUCK :)

The problem with your friend's PR BC is that it's now invalid. To get a passport instead, she'd need a valid BC, and I'm not sure she has enough time to do this in four days.

Technically, your friend should be denied boarding, because she has no BC for identification.

I know & this is what I'm afraid of. She thinks she can just use the birth cert. That she has and get on the ship, and she's not even worried about it. I'm the one who is freaking out because if she can't board I'll either have to cruise alone or lose the whole cost of my trip too :(. I'm shocked that no one has responded that this has happened to already...

I know & this is what I'm afraid of. She thinks she can just use the birth cert. That she has and get on the ship, and she's not even worried about it. I'm the one who is freaking out because if she can't board I'll either have to cruise alone or lose the whole cost of my trip too :(. I'm shocked that no one has responded that this has happened to already...

She's not even worried about it???:confused:I'm worrying for her!!:eek: If she's not worried maybe it's a bad joke she's playing on you.;)Check it out.

Unfortunately she is not joking. She really thinks she will be able to charm her way on. I can't even get excited about our trip because I am so worried about this! :( Was hoping I'd hear back from the original poster to see if her friend was able to board. Any out there have a similar situation they'd like to share?

• 2 weeks later...

If your friend has no passport she can try to find and no valid BC, you will probably be faced with the decision you mention. I can only hope wholeheartedly that, if/when she is denied boarding, you decide to go ahead with the cruise and have a fabulous time. I know it may not be the cruise you had in mind with your friend, but you can still have a great time enjoying the weather, beaches, ship and everyone you meet. It would be a shame if you ended up not only missing the cruise but also losing all of your money because she was not prepared. It's honestly hard for me to feel sympathy for her if she doesn't have enough sense to at least worry about it and try to come up with options.

Please consider letting her know ahead of time that, in the event she is denied boarding, you plan to go ahead with your cruise as planned and that you know she'll understand. You would want her to do the same if the situation was reversed. Having the conversation ahead of time will help avoid a lot of shipside drama and minimize any guilt you might feel.

Good luck to both of you!

Unfortunately with the new issues and Homeland Security involved as well as Customs and Immigration, I can say with 99% surety that your friend will not be permitted to board. Her best option would be to go to the passport office in person with all documents she has (including her missing passport number) and try to get an expedited passport. Good luck on this one!

Unfortunately with the new issues and Homeland Security involved as well as Customs and Immigration, I can say with 99% surety that your friend will not be permitted to board. Her best option would be to go to the passport office in person with all documents she has (including her missing passport number) and try to get an expedited passport. Good luck on this one! Since 1988, we have sailed on:

RCCL:

Nordic Prince

Majesty of the Seas x 2

Monarch of the Seas

Soverign of the Seas

Freedom of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas

Carnival:

Festivale

Miracle

Triumph

Sensation

Scheduled on the Sensation again in Nov.

Celebrity:

Zenith

Millinium

Eclipse

Prncess:

Caribbean Princess x 2

Grand Princess x 2

Golden Princess

NCL:

Norwegian Sky x 3

Celebration Cruise Line:

Bahamas Celebration x 5