Advantages/Disadvantages of a Group Cruise

SwedishCruiser

Hey Folks,

My office is planning a group cruise. We were told we need at least 8 cabins to get the "group thing", or rate maybe? Anyway, I booked and didn't realize I should have gone under the Group Booking number. It is not too late that change that, however the rep said it might be better staying with ES as I booked a suite and suites don't count in group bookings?????? Maybe I didn't understand correctly. My question is, is it better to be part of the group booking or not?

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

Hey Folks,

My office is planning a group cruise. We were told we need at least 8 cabins to get the "group thing", or rate maybe? Anyway, I booked and didn't realize I should have gone under the Group Booking number. It is not too late that change that, however the rep said it might be better staying with ES as I booked a suite and suites don't count in group bookings?????? Maybe I didn't understand correctly. My question is, is it better to be part of the group booking or not?

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

DH has organized a few group cruises and the suites don't usually get a 'group rate', but do count toward the group cabin count. If you're not offically with the group you won't get any of the group perks that may have been set up, OBC for example.

DH has organized a few group cruises and the suites don't usually get a 'group rate', but do count toward the group cabin count. If you're not offically with the group you won't get any of the group perks that may have been set up, OBC for example.

Who decides what perks there will be? Does it depend on the amount of cabins? Does everyone get the OBC?

Perks are decided between the group leader and the TA (travel agent). You really only need 5 cabins to get the amenities but 8 cabins for the group leader to get the free berth (cost of one persons fare based on the highest number of categories sold less port fees and taxes - Or the 16th persons fare). Some TAs may say that you need 8 cabins booked to get the amenities (wine, chocolate strawberries, OBC, etc) but you really only need 5 cabins booked in a group to get them. And some will give the group leader a choice to take the amenities or the free berth but not both. A good PVP or TA will give you both.

Hope this didnt confuse you....

The best part of a group cruise is being with all the other people that you know. Second best part is the lower price.

If the suites don't get any discount as part of the group, well then it makes no monetary difference if you book with them or not.

But if you don't book as part of the group, you will miss out those perks that CathyZ mentioned, and those usually include at least one group party. Often with appetizers and drinks. You really won't want to miss that. Fun with the group, like I said, is the best part of the cruise.

Sometimes there are other activites included in the group, even excursions, or raffles, that you would miss out on if not part of the group.

And getting your dining seating connected to the group, might be complicated too, if you are not part of the group.

On the other hand, if you've already booked as an Early Saver, you are going to lose $50 per person to make the change over to the group booking.

You need to find out the specific perks that your group has and consider your options.

Who decides what perks there will be? Does it depend on the amount of cabins? Does everyone get the OBC?

Also, the perks are determined by which week it is. Some weeks dont have any perks associated with them.

OP if you ask, sometimes you can buy up to the perks with ES. The ES fare is pretty much always cheaper than the group rate, so you still have to pay extra to get the perks.

I would just try to get my cabin included with the group so the group leader can get credit for the extra cabin.

Price wise ES is the best rate to choose. You can buy strawberries along with other items and still save money. Also with twenty people you can pay for a group party, I think ours was $14.50 a person for and hour and a half of cocktails with dry snacks.

Contact " Group Event Planning " 1- 800 -438-6744 . As there are several different type of parties to choose from.

Thats your best bet ;).

The best part of a group cruise is being with all the other people that you know. Second best part is the lower price.

If the suites don't get any discount as part of the group, well then it makes no monetary difference if you book with them or not.

But if you don't book as part of the group, you will miss out those perks that CathyZ mentioned, and those usually include at least one group party. Often with appetizers and drinks. You really won't want to miss that. Fun with the group, like I said, is the best part of the cruise.

Sometimes there are other activites included in the group, even excursions, or raffles, that you would miss out on if not part of the group.

And getting your dining seating connected to the group, might be complicated too, if you are not part of the group.

On the other hand, if you've already booked as an Early Saver, you are going to lose $50 per person to make the change over to the group booking.

You need to find out the specific perks that your group has and consider your options.

I just got off the phone with Carnival and switched to the Group rate. I actually got a cheaper rate! AND, they waived the $50 change fee since I had only booked last night. So nice!

Also, the perks are determined by which week it is. Some weeks dont have any perks associated with them.

There are a limited amount of Amenity Points available for any one cruise. Some cruises have more and some have none. Basically the busy times of the year will have fewer points and the slow times will have more.

Sometimes one group will take all the points available for a sailing. Sometimes several groups can share the available points.

The Amenity Points are used to purchase the gimmes- parties, OBC, wine, photo coupons etc. If you need more points they can be bought.

There are a limited amount of Amenity Points available for any one cruise. Some cruises have more and some have none. Basically the busy times of the year will have fewer points and the slow times will have more.

Sometimes one group will take all the points available for a sailing. Sometimes several groups can share the available points.

The Amenity Points are used to purchase the gimmes- parties, OBC, wine, photo coupons etc. If you need more points they can be bought.

This is not true. The # of amenity points offered for a sailing will be determined by the cruise line, based on how well they think the sailing will sell. The highest # of amenity points are usually offered as soon as the sailing has been released. After that, based on individual resrevations and the # of groups booked, the cruise line may lower the # of points offered, since they don't need to provide as much of an incentive.

I have seen group rates that offered 0 amenity points, however, that was because the sailing was doing well and there was no need to "give" anything away.

I just got off the phone with Carnival and switched to the Group rate. I actually got a cheaper rate! AND, they waived the $50 change fee since I had only booked last night. So nice!

a con: usually the ES rate is the cheapest- good for you that the rate you got was cheaper.

But if that price does go down more-- you will not be entitled to that (after final payment) and there are some restrictions if the price goes down before final payment- (lose of an amenty)

Archived