Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

When went with Viking in October 2014, there were 74 in the classroom we visited.

There were about 60 in our class, but if anyone is thinking about taking something that was for each child I really would very strongly suggest that they did not do that.

The focus is on providing resources for the school as a whole, not something that only those in a specific class would benefit from, this is why they greatly prefer cash over physical goods.

They can buy pretty much everything they need locally if they have the money, trying to guess what they might need is less helpful than giving them the ability to do that for themselves.

It will make more sense when you see the school, this is not a small poorly constructed building surviving on donated materials. The school is in good condition and is well supported by Viking, more cash helps them to do more, random donations of pencils and paper although politely accepted are less useful to them than the cash would have been.

Edited by Mark_T

This was very much the advice of our guide as well, it is not that the street food is necessarily any more unhygienic than it would be in our country, simply that we are not accustomed to the local range of bacteria in the same way the Beijing locals would not be advised to eat similar offerings in our home towns.

Mark, thank you! That is really what I wanted to say but I just wasn't capturing the right words. You said it perfectly: it's not the cooking, it's our bodies!

The problem with street food - everywhere in the world - is that we don't know how long it has been sitting out there. Locals know which 'food truck' is good. We don't. In addition, water is not safe to drink in China. It needs to be boiled. But will the street food vendor have used boiling water to clean utensils? She certainly will not have used mineral water in bottles.

The problem with street food - everywhere in the world - is that we don't know how long it has been sitting out there. Locals know which 'food truck' is good. We don't. In addition, water is not safe to drink in China. It needs to be boiled. But will the street food vendor have used boiling water to clean utensils? She certainly will not have used mineral water in bottles.

I have eaten native foods from the street in may places just not in Asia, yet. My rule of thumb is if there are more than 3 people waiting at a particular stand, and they appear to be locals, the stand maybe safe. I got my Cipro and Pepto just in case.

Lastly, any restaurants near the Westin that are decent?

Edited by SFL

BSK

I am debating whether to book or not as one in our group is a VERY picky eater.

Is this a set meal or is there the ability to select from a menu, albeit limited?

Also - what is the cost pp? -- Maybe he will just come along and "pick?"

BSK

I am debating whether to book or not as one in our group is a VERY picky eater.

Is this a set meal or is there the ability to select from a menu, albeit limited?

Also - what is the cost pp? -- Maybe he will just come along and "pick?"

Set menu, no choices, all excellent food.

How would you define 'picky' in this instance?

If there are specific items that they just don't eat then it is possible with a little communication that something could be arranged. But if you mean someone who dislikes the unfamiliar then I'd probably say you should not take them there.

From memory it was around $50 each which includes wine, we thought it was excellent value and the highlight of our time in Beijing.

It is a set menu that varies based on what's available in the markets. I'm a vegetarian and let BSK know that when I made our reservations. There were some courses that I couldn't eat, some where they pointed out the vegetarian version, and they had at least one dish made especially for me. Even if you can't eat everything I guarantee you will be more than full when you leave.

Class had about 40 students and there was no opportunity to even donate to the class we visited. Supplies were dropped off at central bins while exiting the school else there were cash donation bins.

I would give the cash donation after having gone thru the shopping, transporting, and lastly "anonymous" drop-off of gift supplies

Class had about 40 students and there was no opportunity to even donate to the class we visited. Supplies were dropped off at central bins while exiting the school else there were cash donation bins.

I would give the cash donation after having gone thru the shopping, transporting, and lastly "anonymous" drop-off of gift supplies

Yes, we had the same experience and it is why I've suggested earlier in the thread that cash is the way to go.

Some may wish it was otherwise perhaps, but this is not about seeing the happy faces of 40 kids being given something you've brought with you, it is about enabling the school to provide for every child in every class.

Attempting to give something specific to a class or child just leads to problems later as the school don't want the children to view the frequently visiting 'big noses' (as they call us from the west :) ) as a source of individual gifts.

Edited by Mark_T

Do the hotels that Viking uses in China provide Internet access in the rooms? Is there a charge or is it included free?

When we went several years ago internet was available in all the hotels at no charge. Sometimes it was WIFI and sometimes it was plug in. (Might be all WIFI by now?)

Please note that many web sites you may be used to using are blocked inside China. I could not even access a web page I had built that had weather information for the trip, I assume because all web access to that hosting service was blocked.

Do the hotels that Viking uses in China provide Internet access in the rooms? Is there a charge or is it included free?

As caribill said, it differs from hotel to hotel. Information about internet service should be available on the hotel websites, all of which are available in English. The hotels are for the most part 5 star hotels that are accustomed to the needs and wants of high-end international and business travelers.

I think all the hotels at thAt level will have wifi. The question is whether Viking arranges that its guests have FREE wifi during their stays. That is a question best posed to Viking.

Fyi. If u have t mobile you get free international roaming in 120 countries including China We no longer worry about hot spots or hotel wifi. We get free wifi on the t mobile network al most anywhere in the worldwide

Edited by bitob

Dear All

Thankyou all for your helpful hints on your Viking China experience. We leave in a few days for our 28 hour endurance flight to Beijing. I hope the Viking service on land is better than the less than friendly customer service of Viking Air.

For those of you staying at the Westin here is the schedule of WIFI/Internet Charges. Its about 12USD per day:

INTERNET ACCESS

Free internet is available to all SPG Members when booking on Starwood websites, mobile sites and SPG apps. Benefits vary by membership level. Le

Wired And Wireless High Speed Internet Access In Guest Rooms

Fee: 90 CNY per day

Wireless High Speed Internet Access In Public Areas

Fee: 3-90 CNY per day

High Speed Internet Access In Business Center

The Business Center offers guests complimentary wireless High Speed Internet Access and wired High Speed Internet Access for CNY 3 per minute.

High Speed Internet Access In Executive Club Level

Guests staying in Executive Club Level rooms or suites receive complimentary High Speed Internet Access.

See you at the airport:D

SFL, if you can possibly let us, who are on the April 17 departure, know how your first trip of the season goes, that would be appreciated. Possibly a quick note while in China, or a short review when you return, would be great.

Any one else on one of the two March departures of Imperial Jewels??

Your anticipation is in it's final stages, ours is still being fed! Good luck on your flights, we were fortunate enough to get non stops both ways from Newark, so our duration is "only" around 15 hours.

Have fun!!!

Mike