Princess booking cancelled - where to rebook?

Hi,

I've just been contacted by the online travel agency who I'd booked my upcoming Princess cruise from Rome to Egypt & the Aegean from October 21. Apparently, Princess have a new ruling which prohibits US agents from selling cruises to Australians unless they've previously traveled on Princess.

They've organised a full refund and were helpful and apologetic in explaining that they were no longer permitted to sell me the fare. The cruise is far from booked out, so it was suggested rebooking through Princess or an Australian travel agent should be painless, and may even be possible at a reduced rate given that there are many vacancies on this soon-to-depart cruise.

Unfortunately, it turns out that a balcony class room through Princess will cost me $2500, compared to the $1,550 price that I was originally going to pay for the same room. Other online Australian websites have it available from $2,400 - $2,480 - so it's not much cheaper. I could get an interior room, but even that would still cost me $1,750 - $200 more than the original balcony booking, and would leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Can anyone suggest any other websites or means where value prices are offered for Princess cruises. It seems very unfair that I could book this cruise for $1,000 less if I lived in the US. This is getting very last minute (it departs in 12 days!), but I'm yet to see too many places dropping their prices. Are price drops truly likely to occur, or should I just bite the bullet and book a cheaper room through Princess.com? Similarly, can anyone recommend an Aussie agent who might be able to offer competitive pricing?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Yikes:eek:

What a predicament. I suppose you have your air booked and paid for too.

You could also try posting on the CC Princess Board and someone from North America may have some ideas for you.

If they were a reputable on line agency they should have known the Princess policy, it has been around for a while. They should honour your booking, or else they should not have accepted it in the first place.

Rudiger Gussett

We use a Canadian TA based in Vancouver for our Princess Bookings and although CC recommend this TA I am not permitted to name them. Perhaps you could ask CC direct who is the Vancouver TA they recommend and they might tell you. It is about time CC changed this ridiculous Policy about not being able to name T As they themselves recommend.

John

I agree with David. That policy has been out for quite awhile now and I think you will find that unless you have a relationship with a Travel Agency in the U.S. for a number of years, they will not book you on a Princess cruise.

Have you tried looking at say Celebrity or Norwegian Cruise Line or even Azamara for the same time that you are wanting to cruise as Travel Agents in the States can book Aussies on those ships without any worries. It is mainly the ships under the Carnival Corporation umbrella such as HAL, Princess and Cunard that have that rule.

I am so sorry for you as you only have a couple of weeks to go but I would definitely start researching all the cruise lines for a similar cruise. As you say, booking here in Australia with Princess is going to cost you nearly double. Also knowing that most people on board have paid so much less, will take away a lot of your enjoyment.

Jennie

Rudiger Gussett

We use a Canadian TA based in Vancouver for our Princess Bookings and although CC recommend this TA I am not permitted to name them. Perhaps you could ask CC direct who is the Vancouver TA they recommend and they might tell you. It is about time CC changed this ridiculous Policy about not being able to name T As they themselves recommend.

John

I agree ...

Rudiger Gussett

John

Hi Johndon,

Any chance you can point me to a link where CC has this recommendation. I've sent you a friend request in the hope it will allow us to send a private messages with the name of the agent who has been so helpful for you.

Thanks,

RG

It sounds like most of you are familiar with this policy of US agencies and websites not being able to sell to Aussies.

That being the case, can anyone confirm whether the said restriction also applies to other international websites. Ie could I book through a European or Canadian travel agent or website?

Thanks again...

Have you called Princess and asked them about the exorbitant price difference...?

Yep. On the recommendation of the original booking agency that was my first attempt.

I couldn't get past the spiel about "Princess accepts no responsibility for cruise bookings made through travel agents" and "differences in international currencies will result in pricing differences in different countries". The woman I spoke to seemed to have a very distant relationship with both English and reason. But she made it very clear there was no flexibility in their pricing through Princess Australia.

Have you called Princess and asked them about the exorbitant price difference...?

I wouldn't even waste time asking them as over the years so many cruisers on C.C. have wondered why there are two different prices, one for U.S. and Canadian travellers and one for the rest of the world.

It not only applies to pricing but also to deposits. If one cancels here in Australia then you lose the deposit whereas in the U.S. the deposit is refunded. Also if the prices go down, in the U.S., the cruisers get a refund if they notify their Travel Agent of the price drop, whereas here in Australia, one is locked into a price and that is that.

Jennie

Do Princess realise how this is making a lot of Australians, New Zealanders and Brits feel about their company? I am moving to other companies now who do not discriminate against us in this blatant way. It really annoys me that they treat us this way. It's like they think we are stupid enough to pay thousands more for the same cruise, well I am not. I loved my cruises with Princess but I think this next one will be my last on principle.

I hope some others join me and help to make Princess realise that they are using repugnant practices!

Edited to add that the company most likely dropped you not because they had to but because Princess would have refused to pay the cruise co their commission.

I wouldn't even waste time asking them as over the years so many cruisers on C.C. have wondered why there are two different prices, one for U.S. and Canadian travellers and one for the rest of the world.

It not only applies to pricing but also to deposits. If one cancels here in Australia then you lose the deposit whereas in the U.S. the deposit is refunded. Also if the prices go down, in the U.S., the cruisers get a refund if they notify their Travel Agent of the price drop, whereas here in Australia, one is locked into a price and that is that.

Jennie

So, why would you bother tipping?

So, why would you bother tipping?

Good question. Is there an option not to?

In lieu of average wages in the States and many other countries, I always tip overseas (with the possible exception of instances of atrocious customer service). I was under the impression that tipping costs were built into the daily charges applied to your cruise card on Princess. If there is a way to opt out, it might make me sleep better at night after being so painfully gouged on the cruise price.

That said, the guilt of depriving deserving staff would likely see me relent anyway...

Good question. Is there an option not to?

In lieu of average wages in the States and many other countries, I always tip overseas (with the possible exception of instances of atrocious customer service). I was under the impression that tipping costs were built into the daily charges applied to your cruise card on Princess. If there is a way to opt out, it might make me sleep better at night after being so painfully gouged on the cruise price.

That said, the guilt of depriving deserving staff would likely see me relent anyway...

Just do what a lot of the yanks do and, first thing on board, go to the pursers desk and tell them you want to pay the tips personally, and take the autos tip off! No problemo! :)

MP

Just do what a lot of the yanks do and, first thing on board, go to the pursers desk and tell them you want to pay the tips personally, and take the autos tip off! No problemo! :)

MP

I can't imagine that would be a real popular move?!?

I get the feeling it might result in my account getting black-marked, and every meal would be accompanied by the "special sauce"...

That being the case, can anyone confirm whether the said restriction also applies to other international websites. Ie could I book through a European or Canadian travel agent or website?

Same deal. It's a global policy that they only pay on bookings to agents in the same domicile as the passenger's citizenship, e.g. Canadians couldn't book through here for a cheaper local cruise either.

Same deal. It's a global policy that they only pay on bookings to agents in the same domicile as the passenger's citizenship, e.g. Canadians couldn't book through here for a cheaper local cruise either.

Presumably that could be easily mitigated with an admin or service charge. I'll happily pay a $100 admin fee if I can find an agent who can sell me a cruise for $1,000 less!

Recommendations welcome...

Presumably that could be easily mitigated with an admin or service charge. I'll happily pay a $100 admin fee if I can find an agent who can sell me a cruise for $1,000 less!

Recommendations welcome...

I'm sorry but our guidelines do not permit such requests.

....This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

To read the entire set of guidelines, please click on this link:

Cruise Critic Community Guidelines

I can't imagine that would be a real popular move?!?

I get the feeling it might result in my account getting black-marked, and every meal would be accompanied by the "special sauce"...

This is done 'all the time'. If this is what you want to do, go ahead and do it. The level of service from the staff will be the same. After all, they are professionals.:)

Rudiger Gussett

John

To clarify...Cruise Critic does not recommend any travel agents or agencies. Many travel agents and agencies advertise on our site but you should in no way consider that an endorsement or recommendation.

RCI have a couple of sailings from Rome at the end of October on Eastern Europe itineraries. Not sure if either would suit your plans? Navigator leaves Rome on 23rd & 30th October for 7 night sailings and you could book with any TA of your choice? Celebrity Equinox also leaves from Rome on 20th Oct for 11 nights around the Eastern Med, may be another option?

Archived