Urging Oceania to sponsor CC M & G

pacheco18

As stated MANY times Horizons is the only large space to meet on any of the ship other than the pool deck.

What more do you need to know :confused:

Pick a time & date :rolleyes:

If Horizons is busy you can move to another part of the room

They do not have any secret meeting places onboard for the public

Lyn

We will then see about a follow up get together a couple of days later once we speak with the concierge/cruise director or whoever.

Speak to the concierge soon after boarding

Have your list of names & cabin #'s ready & maybe a sample invite where they can fill in the date, time & place

If you do not hear back from the concierge in a few days follow it up

Our list was lost so we had to start over good thing I had a copy on my flash drive which Keith copied

Lyn

I guess I will chime in with a few assorted comments...

First, as to Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara, they take a somewhat different approach to Cruise Critic than some other lines...

In their minds, due to the nature of the internet, sharing of information, reviews, recommendations and other exchanges that happen on Cruise Critic, they view Cruise Critic as somewhat of a valuable marketing tool in a way (They actually took a lot of flak a few years back because of some comments one RCI executive made about "Viral Marketing")...but, in all honesty, all they were really saying is that "word of mouth" on these boards is actually a fairly effective marketing tool...People do Google searches and find reviews here on Cruise Critic, so this group is a pretty influential bunch compared to many other "groups" one might find onboard...So...they recognized a desire to keep us happy and to encourage us to feel pleased with their cruise lines...

We actually had the President of Royal Caribbean show up at one of our meet and greets on the Mariner of the Seas! The guy stayed for over an hour talking to everyone...

On my many RCCL/Celebrity cruises, we've never had a cruise where we've failed to sign up the minimum 25 guests...and go considerably beyond that...

They DON'T supply "free drinks" other than coffee, tea and juice...They also supply some appetizers or pastries -- but, you do realize the same food is already available at no extra charge up in the buffet, so "added cost" is not a big deal...Anyone wants to order a "paid drink" and it is no different than ordering at any bar onboard.

Now, I have also been part of organizing meet and greets on Princess and Carnival--where the cruise lines don't assist in any official way...and on Oceania...

The real issues are not setting up any food or special service, but issues of logistics--WHERE and WHEN to meet...

The biggest difference between doing this on, say, Princess and doing it on Oceania is really the size of the ship and the number of available venues...

As to WHEN, the obvious answer in almost all cases is AS SOON AS POSSIBLE...The only logical times, for the purposes of most of us, is to do it on the FIRST at sea day, assuming there is one up front on your sailing...or on the embarkation day...

Why? Because the most useful part of the M&G is not just to have a social hour, but to actually connect with those folks with whom you might have planned tours or activities...maybe to find others if you have availability on a planned tour or to find someone with availability...to connect up to iron out various logistics...

So, it is really imperative to not only do it fairly soon--before all of your port stops--but also to ORGANIZE AND ARRANGE IT PRIOR TO embarkation...

So, once you've realized, by virtue of your itinerary, what date and time you have to hold it, you need a PLACE...

Problem is, that with a smaller ship and fewer available venues, the risk of deciding, in a vacuum without participation by the cruise line, is that you just do not know which of the limited venues will be available...

As far as we could tell for our recent Marina cruise, one of the few limited possibilities was Horizons right after the Muster Drill...Now we had about 40-60 people, but we really didn't know who else was showing up at Horizons at that time...It is a popular location from which to watch Sailaway...So, we had to get there fast and sort of "stake out" a portion of the room...

It worked out for us, but I could see where it might not...For example, if Oceania had some unknown use for that space at that time...or if just a mob of other people limited organizing any particular space...

So, what you would really hope for from Oceania...beside wheeling out (nonalcoholic) drinks and snacks or somehow sending a representative to run the show...would be to just help with perhaps establishing a LOCATION and TIME on the ship and, maybe, cordoning off a room or a portion of a room of a size reasonable to accommodate the number of Cruise Critic members anticipated...and letting us know some time before the cruise where and when that might be...

If someone would say...If you have 25+ people expected, we will section off an area in the front, starboard of Horizons from 5:30 to 6:15 on embarkation day and it's yours! Then, all one would have to do is to make sure it is posted on the Roll Call: "Meet & Greet...Front Starboard Horizons Deck 15 5:30 pm Embarkation Day"...

That would pretty much do it...we could take the rest from there...

I think that is all anyone here is asking...

Steve...so well said...I just logged in and haven't read any of the other posts...but you put it in a NET SHELL!!... THAT's all we are asking for!! Thanks for being so well spoken about this!! LuAnn

If someone would say...If you have 25+ people expected, we will section off an area in the front, starboard of Horizons from 5:30 to 6:15 on embarkation day and it's yours! Then, all one would have to do is to make sure it is posted on the Roll Call: "Meet & Greet...Front Starboard Horizons Deck 15 5:30 pm Embarkation Day"...

That would pretty much do it...we could take the rest from there...

I think that is all anyone here is asking...

If you will allow a dissenting vote here, I think asking to have the starboard corner of Horizons (that's the area that most people suggest as being the "best" area of the lounge, right?) sectioned off for a group of Cruise Critic members (or any other groups, for that matter) is asking too much, regardless of the size of the group, unless they charter the ship.

It's been a while since I organized one of these get togethers, but the concierge always arranged it for me and sent out invitations. But my main point is that they did indeed close off a section of Horizons for our groups (which were never as large as Laraine is talking about -- we were usually 20-35 people, no more than that). And we had a couple of waiters attending to our orders.

But no, we didn't have food served and it was a cash bar.

Last year on the Midnight Sun cruise a travel agent for one of our group did schedule a party with us, complete with a wonderful cheese board and wine. But she paid for that -- I think because her client always books a top suite several times a year.

Mura

If you will allow a dissenting vote here, I think asking to have the starboard corner of Horizons (that's the area that most people suggest as being the "best" area of the lounge, right?) sectioned off for a group of Cruise Critic members (or any other groups, for that matter) is asking too much, regardless of the size of the group, unless they charter the ship.

Not unless CC members arrive there first. It's "open" seating on first come basis.

But really, for M&G purposes, location within Horizon's doesn't matter; people are there to socialize and not watch the scenery. That should not be an issue.

Its done all the time, either formally or informally. A couple of cruises ago we had a large group of Texas Aggies and their leader would enter Horizons and shoo people away from an area because "she needed it for her people". Don't thing she had shipboard approval just chutzpah! Another time we had a group of Eastern European tourists who commandeered an area around the pool and in the dining room. In both cases we got the impression the ship looked the other way as they had booked a lot of cabins.

Things happen and as we were told Horizons is a multipurpose room for all kinds of activities.

Its done all the time, either formally or informally. A couple of cruises ago we had a large group of Texas Aggies and their leader would enter Horizons and shoo people away from an area because "she needed it for her people". Don't thing she had shipboard approval just chutzpah! Another time we had a group of Eastern European tourists who commandeered an area around the pool and in the dining room. In both cases we got the impression the ship looked the other way as they had booked a lot of cabins.

Things happen and as we were told Horizons is a multipurpose room for all kinds of activities.

The Aggies group is on the Regatta right now and they will be doing future Oceania Cruises such as next February's "Splendors Down Under" and May's Tuscany cruise on the Marina, in addition to others.

What will that mean for Cruise Critic's little groups that want to use the Horizon Lounge at the same time as the Aggies, especially on the little ships?

When push comes to shove (pun intended), who will "win" in the "chutzpah"/rudeness match?

...And, the problem both you and Don seem to be missing, is with this notion that all of this can be handled AFTER one boards...

With the utmost respect for both Steve and Laraine, I must say that I'm NOT "missing the point". I understand completely what is desired. The point that I've been trying to make, and which others may be missing, is that it's impractical to try to accomplish that.

You're asking the home office of the cruise line to set a universal policy for all cruises that can be used in favor of less than 5% of the passengers, regardless of what circumstances may come up. I can hear the howls now,if such a policy were formulated, and some other group was granted that privilege because they were willing to pay for it.

In my experience, the most practical way to handle an event like a Cruise Critic meet and greet is aboard the ship, by the very folks who know what is happening and can make it work.

I totally agree that it would be very helpful, and very good public relations, for FDR or someone else high up to announce a policy that any such groups will be greeted with respect and a sincere attempt to make arrangements. Too many of the staff have heard the policy that "Oceania does not sponsor private events" and have interpreted that to mean that they should not cooperate.

But, to wish for something that's impractical and likely not to work in every case seems to me to be futile. I learned to go with the flow and arrange it on board.

that we are asking for a time and a place to meet...no food. no drinks, no nothing...how hard is this??? LuAnn

I have been following this thread for the past few days and I am helping Laraine who is Pacheco18 with the M&G. While I agree with a lot that has been said O has been gracious enough to assist me in securing a location, so I wanted to let everyone know that this hasn't been ignored.

I have been active with putting these together on the last three O sailings. We met at Horizons and had no problem scheduling our roll call together with or without the assistance of the concierge. Again, it is only fair that I act in defense of Oceania as someone is in fact working on this for us at my request made a few months ago. We have a very large group which is climbing. My suggestion to everyone in the roll call M&G in the event of the worst case scenario has been to meet in Horizons at 1700 hours on the first sea day. Laraine and I check in those roll call members at the door with name tags to identify those from the other passengers who happen to be relaxing in the lounge. Not all that sign up with show up. :)

I have been following this thread for the past few days and I am helping Laraine who is Pacheco18 with the M&G. While I agree with a lot that has been said O has been gracious enough to assist me in securing a location, so I wanted to let everyone know that this hasn't been ignored.

Maria

If you have secured a location what is the beef all about ?

Maybe Laraine did not get your memo :confused:

Confused

Maria

If you have secured a location what is the beef all about ?

Maybe Laraine did not get your memo :confused:

Confused

Horizons is a last ditch effort to get together if all else fails. No promises have been made by O to secure a certain place. Laraine did make mention in an earlier post that it was in the works but other responses prompted me to add additional information. If nothing else works. Everyone on the wall.

Photo courtesy of the unknown.

301295289_Againstthewall.jpg.e88b67dc050a819703a1e7f2a1ae6e35.jpg

even on less expensive lines like celebrity, rccl, hal, there are cc meet and greet functions...with free drinks. even if they choose not to comp the drinks, it would still be nice to do

some of the cruise lines are wary of cruisecritic guests

they know that cc guests are vocal

most cruiselines treat cc guests great

theyt want us to spread the word about how great the cruise was...

The Aggies group is on the Regatta right now and they will be doing future Oceania Cruises such as next February's "Splendors Down Under" and May's Tuscany cruise on the Marina, in addition to others.

What will that mean for Cruise Critic's little groups that want to use the Horizon Lounge at the same time as the Aggies, especially on the little ships?

When push comes to shove (pun intended), who will "win" in the "chutzpah"/rudeness match?

Definitely the Aggies!!

Although I am sure there are many wonderful people in Texas the group on our cruise were not them.

They spent the whole cruise trying to get their "flag" flown from the mast and being told many time it was against poliocy. I believe the captain finally flew it for a short time while in port so they could take pictures.

The also set up a Jefferson Davis birthday party which offended many passengers, especially many of the African American passengers.

By the end of the cruise almost everyone was shunning them.

To balance, there was also a group of alumni on board from Georgia Tech who were great people and fun to be with, the exact opposite.

I have been active with putting these together on the last three O sailings. We met at Horizons and had no problem scheduling our roll call together with or without the assistance of the concierge. Again, it is only fair that I act in defense of Oceania as someone is in fact working on this for us at my request made a few months ago. We have a very large group which is climbing. My suggestion to everyone in the roll call M&G in the event of the worst case scenario has been to meet in Horizons at 1700 hours on the first sea day. Laraine and I check in those roll call members at the door with name tags to identify those from the other passengers who happen to be relaxing in the lounge. Not all that sign up with show up. :)

is why does it have to be "worst case scenario"?? Just work with the organizers, prior to sailing, as most other cruise lines do. LuAnn

is why does it have to be "worst case scenario"?? Just work with the organizers, prior to sailing, as most other cruise lines do. LuAnn

"worst case scenario" was just a figure of speech meaning, if O hasn't come through a week before we sail, we meet at Horizons at a specific date and time and make the most of the situation. I will advise once onboard of our plans just as a courtesy. This is not a big deal. :)

"worst case scenario" was just a figure of speech meaning, if O hasn't come through a week before we sail, we meet at Horizons at a specific date and time and make the most of the situation. I will advise once onboard of our plans just as a courtesy. This is not a big deal. :)

in the great scheme of life right now this is not a big deal! And I guess we all need to keep that in perspective!! We are all just so fortunate to be able to cruise and see the world.!! ;)

Good luck on your sailing....the worse case scenario was the best I could have obtain on the Marina spring T/A...with over 75 showing up! We had a great time, I had told ship staff what we were doing, and we had a great time....I'm sure you will as well! LuAnn

in the great scheme of life right now this is not a big deal! And I guess we all need to keep that in perspective!! We are all just so fortunate to be able to cruise and see the world.!! ;)

Good luck on your sailing....the worse case scenario was the best I could have obtain on the Marina spring T/A...with over 75 showing up! We had a great time, I had told ship staff what we were doing, and we had a great time....I'm sure you will as well! LuAnn

We did have a great time and thank you for organizing it, LuAnn.

I still can't believe that the concierge wanted to charge us for the use of the cordless mike:confused:; but we heard you loud and clear without it:D

Hope to sail with you again in the future.

Paul

We did have a great time and thank you for organizing it, LuAnn.

I still can't believe that the concierge wanted to charge us for the use of the cordless mike:confused:; but we heard you loud and clear without it:D

Hope to sail with you again in the future.

Paul

well..all those years being involved in marketing and PR does pay off..and hope to be on-board with you 2 again as well!!! LuAnn

Oh good. We are not on the same cruise as the Aggies. Thanks for letting me know. We had two different alumni group on the Marina last May and they kept hogging Horizons for their functions as there was so many of them. Annoying for anyone else who wanted to sit there as the group let you know in no uncertain terms that you were not welcome in the lounge.

Archived