Best motion sickness meds

nickiefriend

I prefer Bonine. Very similar to Dramamine. Both are over the counter items. Key is to take them prior to feeling sea sick. For some people they can make them drowsy.

Patch is by prescription. Biggest side effect is dry mouth.

Other take other items such as ginger capsules.

Always remember what is best is what works best for each individual and that is not the same for everybody.

Keith

First of all, you need to think about other things first, and then go for the remedy. As you will note below, the patch should only be used after some careful consideration. But let's start at the beginning --

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can eat ginger snaps, candied ginger drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot), or take ginger pills (available in any drug store). This is a natural remedy obviously, but clinically proven to work. Start taking or eating it before you get on the ship, but you do not need more than a few hours' time for it to get into your system.

Some people swear by the seabands, others notice no effect whatsoever. Again, no medications, but not always effective.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere. They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills.

For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects up to and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea. This is not really an alternative to try first, it is for people for whom other things have not worked. This is, in essence, a very strong drug and there are reasons why you need a prescription to get it.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. If you don't get motion sick in other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. While cruise ships do move in the seas, and rough seas can cause a fair amount of motion, bear in mind that they are not anything like small pleasure craft that bob and bounce along all the time. Motion on a cruise ship tends to be much, much slower and less dramatic. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine, and the initial prevention suggestions should be enough by themselves. If you are not comfortable with that, then try the ginger or OTC medications.

Best one I've found in Stugeron - cinnarizine is the generic name. AFAIK, it's not available in the US, but if anyone's travelling to Europe, it's an over-the-counter med, so you can get it in any pharmacy.

I also use the wristbands and ginger. Peppermint also works.

The generic for Bonine is Meclazine hydrochloride. I buy it over the internet and 100 tabs is about the same cost as 2 Bonine 8 packs. Yes I will use all 100 lol. My wife gets airsick also, and was for years before I introduce4d her to Bonine. now she can fly with me in a light aircraft.

That being said, everyone is different. I have read about ginger, green apples, etc. helping

the last thing i would try would be the patch, so many i personally know have had all kinds of side effects except the dry-mouth---myself included it was AWFUL:eek:

personally i take Ginger Capsules-before & during my cruise more if needed on tenders boat rides etc.

i always have Green Apples and Ginger Ale available.

have tried the bands that seems to work, and recently i have picked up Motion Ease (liquid form--dot behind the ear)

i am always prepared even have Bonine but dont care for chewables so i didnt end up taking.

I rarely get seasick, but did feel queasy on an uncharacteristically rough pacific coastal cruise a few weeks ago. I took a couple of meclizine tablets (I think they were just some generic brand) and got virtually instant relief. Naturally, your mileage might vary.

I've always gotten great results by taking ginger (starting 3 days before cruising). You can also add to it if needed by taking a Bonine. So far, I've never had to add in the Bonine. Best reason to try ginger first: NO side effects and it will not mess with any other medications you may take. Of course, if you are on any other medications, it's always best to ask your doctor before adding anything.

i tend to stick with Bonine, starting the day before the cruise and taking it for the 1st day or so.....

on one cruise not long ago, i was really queasy for some reason....and the Concierge told me to try green apples...worked like a charm! I found that it's good to keep a little something in your stomach....crackers, an apple, granola bar....works for me!!

I get Meclazine at Walgreens. I had to ask at the prescription counter for the 100 pill bottle. Well worth it compared to the stuff in the aisle. It is good for years. I think I have had this bottle for 4 years and it worked fine in August.

Archived