What happened to shareholder benefits?

grayjay

Some confusion of the person at the front desk to tell you that. When you receive obc from your TA it is just like a gift from a friend or anyone else. You receive a little gift card in the cabin with the information on it. We just got off the Allure last Saturday and received the obc gift card from our TA and, also, received the stock obc both were automatically credited to our account.

There is a rule, however, on RCL that you cannot cash out the stock obc if you have anything leftover, but you can take the cash from your TA obc if you do not spend it.

I was just denied OBC today for the Shareholder Program, because i am receiving OBC from AmEx for using their Platinum Card Cruise Benefits. I understand the policy, but it is somewhat annoying...

I was just denied OBC today for the Shareholder Program, because i am receiving OBC from AmEx for using their Platinum Card Cruise Benefits. I understand the policy, but it is somewhat annoying...

This sounds like it is contrary to policy....unless amex has a special arrangement with Celebrity. I understand that if a TA passes along an OBC being offered by celebrity then you can't double dip....but if Amex is providing the OBC, then it should have no effect on your stockholder OBC.

I think I'd be calling amex and talking to them about the rebate and who is paying it. If they say they say Amex is paying for the OBC, then get it in writing and send that to stockholder relations. If Amex says that Celebrity is paying the OBC, then I question the real benefit of the amex card.

I just faxed mine in after 5 pm and the next day by noon my TA called me and told me she had confirmation that they posted it on my reservation. If you are using a TA, I think they get the confirmation because they are listed in the computer. Good luck

Exactly my point! If the shareholder credit is a benefit for you buying and holding the stock (through up markets and down markets, with and without benefit of any dividend for years at a time), that's a reward from the parent company {RCL} for taking the risk. Fine, Accepted.

However, when you tell me that I can assume this risk while any other OBC's I can get for filling up your slow-selling cabins, putting down a deposit over a year in advance, or even a gift from my T.A., I can't accept....It's more than a little annoying !

Like it or not the concept has become very simple to understand:

Celebrity only allows you to get one discount/OBC from them. You can not combine any discounts/OBC provided by the cruise line regardless of the source or reason for the discounts/OBC.

You can combine discounts/OBC provided by a travel agent with the single discount/OBC you might get from the cruise line. However, it is not always clear if the discount/OBC being provided by a travel agent is coming out of the agency's pocket (combinable with a cruise line discount/OBC) or is being provided buy the cruise line through the TA (not combinable). Your TA should be able to tell you which this is and if you're not totally comfortable in the TA and experienced with them you might want to get this info in writing from them.

The shareholder discount is a small perk for shareholders and while it is not combinable it does ensure that you'll be able to get a basic discount/OBC amount without jumping through the hoops to book on board or wait/search for a discount promotion - although doing so will sometimes get you a slightly larger discount.

The shareholder discount is not a reward for assuming the risk of stock ownership. It also not part of the continuing rights of assuming that risk since the shareholder benefit expires each year and might not be renewed at all, or might be reduced, for each succeeding year. You should consider the investment opportunity alone in determining if that risk is worthwhile to you and if you are unsure of that then you should either take a pass or discuss it, along with your other investment goals, with a qualified investment advisor.

On my bill from my TA, it now clearly states that I Have. $300 OBC from Celebrity and a $150 credit from the TA. Therefore my stock holders benefit is null and void - no reason to own RCL stock in this market! This is for a 14 day trasalantic next month, the same OBC as with a future cruise credit or stockholders benefit.

Archived