Note to School

skram99

I would discuss it with the teacher ASAP, so your child can get most of the missed work done in advance! I know my kids HATED having to do "catch up" work while on vacation, and once home, extra work sort of negated the relaxation from the vacation! Have them do it in advance.

We are sailing on October 29,2011. We live in New York and it is a private school! I already read the hand book and it does not say a time frame! I am aware that it is giants school policy, but our friends are renewing their vows and we got a great deal with kids cruise free ! My plan was writing the note this friday!

I sent mine in a month early at the beginning of Oct. We are cruising nov-6-13th. My DD is in Kindergarten this year and will miss one week of school also. I asked for any assignments that we could make up ahead of time. The teacher was very nice and said as it gets closer she will send some assignments to work on.

Are all of you guys missed days of schooll considered unexcused? I will be taking my 3rd grader out for 5 days in March and it is unexcused. They are allowed 10 unexcused a school yr. We are trying to make sure our attendance is good anyway.

I would let them know as soon as I knew. That being said, in your situation let them know as soon as possible. You're likely adding quite a bit of work to their usual workload, so allowing as much time as possible for them to work this into their already busy schedule is just being considerate.

For example, DS1 missed 1 day of school in September, I told the teacher the first day of school. She opted to send the work home after we returned, which was her perogative.

I cornered our school principal the first week of school in August and asked him if it would be ok for my 1st grader to miss the LAST week of the school year in May to go to Europe. He agreed it would probably be a better learning experience that sitting out the last week of school! Fortunately, we don't have restrictions on the days missed, excused or unexcused, like school districts around the country. Otherwise I'd be sending my sick kid to school all year so we could get that last week of school off in June. What benefit would that serve for the entire school community? Sadly, school rules don't follow common sense.

we usually do it about 3 wks in advance. in 2009, my son missed 10 days ( the unexcused allowable) we ad a conference with his 2nd grade teacher and she gave him all possible assignments before we left and everything else, including tests when he returned. she was very understanding and felt that family vacays were a good thing. also ask if he/she can receive any extra credit for extra work ie., a short paper onn the places visite, a picture/photo array. i know some schools offer this. have fun on your trip!!

Are all of you guys missed days of schooll considered unexcused? I will be taking my 3rd grader out for 5 days in March and it is unexcused. They are allowed 10 unexcused a school yr. We are trying to make sure our attendance is good anyway.

As long as we let the school know ahead of time and get it approved, ours have been considered excused.

OP I would give at least 2 weeks notice. We always let the teachers know at the teacher conferences before we go and then send an e-mail at least 2 weeks before.

So i saw teacher this mornign and she will be giving me all of the work!! she said it will be alot and I said no problem we don't want my daughter to fall behind!!

Kerri Ann

NCL Jewel Oct 2011

NCL Gem Feb 2011

Disney Wonder 2002

Pricess Aug 1998

If you child is going to public school AND the school is holding the vacation against your child, I HIGHLY recommend that you check your state laws. I'm a high school teacher in Maine and our state (I think they are state) laws prohibit us from holding it against the kid (for lack of a better way of putting it). I had a student in Florida for a week this quarter and he's technically only allowed to miss 3 days unexcused. But, because the school was notified, I can't hold it against him. He is responsible for all of the work missed.

Each school district and state statute will be different. In my state and district, my child can miss 10 days UNEXCUSED in a 90 day period, but my school principal has the discretion to approve the absences. So even if my principal did not approve, I would still take my kids out of school, knowing that there is no way they would rack up another 5 days unexcused in a 90 day period.

My kids are in 1st grade so there is no chance of them skipping class.

I give my school principal (and the teacher) the note the week before the cruise.

Archived