Formal nights for men....

tophatgirl

:confused: Just politely wondering why you would bother to dress up if he insists on dressing like a parking valet ? Makes for a very odd couple.....but to each his(or her) own, and hope you have a super cruise.

Very uncalled for.

I most of the time take my coat off and hang it on my chair during dinner. I don't put it back on if I get up to use the restroom and I've never been kicked out for it. I can't see how they'd know the difference. I've seen people in black t-shirts and women wearing short pants (crop pants) and that seemed OK too. I think the "standards" are just suggestions. I'm sure that Celebrity wants you to be comfortable and no one else should care one way or the other what someone else is wearing.

Tom

I totally agree- no one else should care one way or the other what someone else is wearing. I no longer pack formal wear for cruises, but instead enjoy the many selections available at the buffet on formal nights. I own two suits and two sport coats, so it's not a matter of not having something to wear, but just my choice. Makes life so much easier, and my luggage thanks me for it. ;)

Tony

I surely hope they removed their hats in the showroom when the show started...especially for those sitting behind them.

.. to understand cultural differences. Is it considered acceptable in the USA for men to wear hats [any type of hat] inside? In the UK, I was brought up to understand that men should never wear a hat indoors.

Sue

I think dress code discussions are fraught with language difficulties! None of these items would ever be called tank tops in the UK. In fact, here, a tank top is a very particular sleeveless garment [usually with horizontal stripes] worn in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

or those wife beater tank t-shirts that men wear.

These we would call vests. [Your "vest" is our "waistcaot" a "vest" is an undergarment].

Fancy tank tops that are silk/satin or beaded are not against the dress code.

These would never be called tank tops in the UK. Most would be called camisoles others just dressy tops.

Sue

On a transatlantic last spring from Ft. L. to Barcelona, I wore a black sport coat, grey slacks,and a standard blue dress shirt, and brought a couple of ties. I had called Celebrity to ask if that would be acceptable.

I bought the sport coat and the grey (Calvin Klein) slacks at either Goodwill or Value Village. Nearly new in both cases!

.. to understand cultural differences. Is it considered acceptable in the USA for men to wear hats [any type of hat] inside? In the UK, I was brought up to understand that men should never wear a hat indoors.

Sue

There are a lot of cultures and geographic areas in the USA and some are more casual than others. So the answer to that could vary considerably depending on where one lives and the practices of their peers.

In my area (Chicago area) and personal culture the answer would depend on the venue. For example I'd have no qualms about wearing a hat in a store such as a grocery store, hardware store, shopping center, etc. I frequently do wear a hat in these types of venues as I need to wear one outdoors due to skin conditions and I wouldn't remove it if walking into most shopping areas. In a fine restuarant or more formal setting I'd consider it inappropriate to wear a hat and it would be pretty rare to see someone wearing one. Of course there is a wide range of places in between where some would wear a hat and others would not such as a casual restuarants like a diner or fast food restuarant. I don't generally wear hats in these places but it isn't uncommon to see people that do.

Likewise, when I'm cruising and going back and forth between indoor and outdoor areas during the afternoon I'll usually leave my hat on for convenience. If we settle down into an indoor dining area or lounge for a while I'll usually remove it but you'll see many wearing their hats in informal areas such as the buffet.

a well bred person follows proper dress.its sad when you see prople show up looking like they spent the night sleeping under a bridge

A well bread person knows how to spell people,it's not prople as you stated.

You're misunderstanding the tank top code. What they mean by that are the white skimpy tank tops you see a lot of younger girls wearing--and leave little to the imagination--- or those wife beater tank t-shirts that men wear. Fancy tank tops that are silk/satin or beaded are not against the dress code.

If you read the dress code, you'll see that formal is a dark suit or tux. A shirt and tie, regardless of color, is not formal. A bare minimum is a sport jacket, shirt, dress slacks and jacket. Can he get away with what you suggested? Maybe...but I've seen people turned away when just wearing what you've asked about.

Dark was removed from the dress code a couple of years ago when describing a suit...

Thanks...going to find a suit for DH. Found some amazing deals ($40 for coat) on JCP!

As what occurs on dress code threads, we've all gone off bashing and talking amongst ourselves and ignored the real question. OP, looks like a great solution. I think your DH will feel better w a jacket. I usually take a dark suit and then wear the pants as slacks with casual shirts, and the suit coat with light pants for a more casual look on other nites because I like having the extra pockets and so on and I get more use of the suit. I hope he enjoys the flexibility of a jacket. I got a jacket on sale in Key West with a big Sun on the back just for wearing around the ship for 'fun'!

As to wearing hats in the USA, I agree w the comment that there isn't a single 'custom' in the US on much of anything - very regional and urban/country. I wear hats most of the time. I take it off indoors, but I get so tired of the guys sitting in a restaurant with their ball caps on. Very poor We've become so casual under the idea of people are being more individual - then we all wear jeans, tshirts and ball caps....so much for being individual.

Den

:confused: Just politely wondering why you would bother to dress up if he insists on dressing like a parking valet ? Makes for a very odd couple.....but to each his(or her) own, and hope you have a super cruise.

Well that wasn't polite at all! It is very acceptable to wear a shirt and tie in my part of the country, which is why I inquired about the dress code.

As for the hats, we don't have a lot of cowboy hats but every guy seems to wear a baseball cap here in WI. DH takes his off at dinner, but most men don't. Cultural differences!

Sue

It is not considered acceptable for men to wear hats inside in the USA except in places such as sports bars (where many will wear baseball caps). However many Americans now think its "cool" to ignore proper etiquette so you will find some adults who wear baseball caps indoors (we have even seen it in the MDR on some ships). There is one notable exception to the basic etiquette which has to do with wearing cowboy hats indoors. This is rather common in certain areas of the Southwest US where some men will tell you they go nowhere without their cowboy hat :)

Hank

I have always thought the dress codes are suggestions, including formal nights. I did not think any cruise line has a mandatory dress code, including Celebrity. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, the the dress code is not a "suggestion" on Celebrity, it is a dress code. As I (and others) have previously stated, it varies wildly whether or not it is enforced. People are asked in writing (in the daily newsletter delivered to one's stateroom) to abide by the dress code, but the staff more often than not allows people to cut corners.

It is not considered acceptable for men to wear hats inside in the USA except in places such as sports bars (where many will wear baseball caps). However many Americans now think its "cool" to ignore proper etiquette so you will find some adults who wear baseball caps indoors (we have even seen it in the MDR on some ships). There is one notable exception to the basic etiquette which has to do with wearing cowboy hats indoors. This is rather common in certain areas of the Southwest US where some men will tell you they go nowhere without their cowboy hat :)

Hank

In Texas, a gentleman takes his cowboy hat off inside a restaurant !

I think dress code discussions are fraught with language difficulties! None of these items would ever be called tank tops in the UK. In fact, here, a tank top is a very particular sleeveless garment [usually with horizontal stripes] worn in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

These we would call vests. [Your "vest" is our "waistcaot" a "vest" is an undergarment].

These would never be called tank tops in the UK. Most would be called camisoles others just dressy tops.

Sue

Word semantics between our two countries can be confusing. For instance here in the US, you'd never hear about a man wearing a "jumper", which in the US is a sleeveless shift dress worn with a sweater underneath. If I understand things, in the UK a jumper is a sweater? While reading the Daily Mail the other day, I read about men wearing jumpers, which is something you'd not hear in the US.

A tank top and a camisole are considered the same thing in the US, but to be honest, a camisole can be more of an undergarment for a sheer blouse or under a jacket.

I am sad and worried as I can see X throwing their hands in the air and dumbing down the dress code so that all the "it's my vacation" and "I don't care what anybody else wears" people can enjoy the MDR just like they do on NCL. Anything, I mean anything goes. Instead of following the dress code, some people always want to put their little spin on it and try to get away with less than required. Until formal nights are gone, I will be packing all my clothes that I love and don't get to wear the rest of the year and go to formal nights with my DH who looks absolutely fabulous in Tux and just hope we are not sitting next to someone in a ball cap.

No flames please! If you disagree with this post, please be polite - I have noticed how serious the cruise wear discussions are!

Ok - would it be acceptable for my dh to wear black slacks with a shirt and tie on formal nights? He doesn't own a sportcoat and hate to buy one if it really isn't needed. He cleans up nicely and I will be in a cocktail dress.

Thanks! :) :)

First cruise Celebrity Eclipse December, 2011!

May I suggest Goodwill? You could likely find a nice jacket for a cheap price. Edit: I should read posts before replying.

I am sad and worried as I can see X throwing their hands in the air and dumbing down the dress code so that all the "it's my vacation" and "I don't care what anybody else wears" people can enjoy the MDR just like they do on NCL. Anything, I mean anything goes. Instead of following the dress code, some people always want to put their little spin on it and try to get away with less than required. Until formal nights are gone, I will be packing all my clothes that I love and don't get to wear the rest of the year and go to formal nights with my DH who looks absolutely fabulous in Tux and just hope we are not sitting next to someone in a ball cap.

I get to wear dress clothes all year long when I go to work and I will be packing the clothes that I don't get to wear the rest of the year such as a comfortable shirt and comfortable pants. And I will enjoy the good food in the MDR whether you are dressed up or not.

What is "required?" Gee, sounds like an enjoyable vacation. You MUST wear this, and you MUST eat here, etc. Doesn't sound like an enjoyable experience to me. If someone doesn't want to sit near someone else because of the attire, then THEY are the one with a problem, and THEY should go to the buffet, or order room service. Tolerance should be the rule. If you like dressing up, go for it. If not, go for it! Geez. No big deal.

If everyone did what they wanted to do on the ship because "It is my vacation", then there would be a major problem. Policy is policy and should be respected. If policy say formal wear than wear formal or eat at anther venue that does not require formal wear.

I personal love formal night and enjoy seeing my DH in his tux; more important I believe we should respect policy and procedures and follow the guide lines set before us. I don't want to sit with people who believe that while on vacation I don't have to adhere to policy.

For those who want to eat in the dining room on formal night in casual wear; what would you think if someone came to your table in swim wear and said "its my vacation and I don't want to wear casual wear".

The solution to this problem can be resolved by the cruise line by having a section of the dining room for people who want to eat in the dining room but don't want to dress accordingly. When we are asked our preferred dining time and table size; maybe they should add will you be participating in formal night?

I get to wear dress clothes all year long when I go to work and I will be packing the clothes that I don't get to wear the rest of the year such as a comfortable shirt and comfortable pants. And I will enjoy the good food in the MDR whether you are dressed up or not.

Wow; what kind of job do you have? When I go to work I wear business attire. If I walked into a business meeting with dress clothes on I am sure my professionalism would be challenged. Just joking I know what you meant!!;)

Archived