Formal nights for men....

tophatgirl

Where are you in Wisconsin? If you really want to go out for your first cruise, check out Nedrebo's Formal Wear. They are all over the southeastern quarter of the state (Appleton to Janesville), and offer previously worn tuxedo packages (jacket, pants, shirt, socks, tie) for very reasonable prices. They measure, and make sure it fits perfectly. A friend of mine bought a package there for under $100 earlier in the year instead of renting for a wedding, and thought it was a great investment. Also, if you get accurate measurements, there's always eBay. Enjoy your first cruise!

I just have to pipe in here, I can't WAIT for this cruise in December!!! I dress up for formal nights (and every other night) because I LOVE to get dressed up, any occasion is fine with me. I own closets of fine formal wear.

I'm new to these boards, and Celebrity, as cruising hasn't until now been my first vacationing preference.

If reading these posts about the "expectations" of peoplein the dining rooms is any indication of what I am about to MEET on our SHIP, this ought to be an experience! Maybe coming in to a dining room ill-fitted is a faux pas, but the way it's been described HERE with the people RESPONDING to these poor souls is down right DISGUSTING and inhumane, and in no WAY fits the "crime"!! You should be ashamed, all you that know the dress code soo very well, and are so prepared to look down your long shiney noses at others for it. Tsk Tsk Tsk...

As long as they brought good conversation and were respectful to others I don't tink I would care. We have sat with nasty drunks who were dressed up and have sat with the most pleasent people who were not and vice versa. Attire does not denote class.

Very well put! I know I would certainly feel this way over sitting with a well dressed snob that KNEW their dress requirements! :)

I just have to pipe in here, I can't WAIT for this cruise in December!!! I dress up for formal nights (and every other night) because I LOVE to get dressed up, any occasion is fine with me. I own closets of fine formal wear.

I'm new to these boards, and Celebrity, as cruising hasn't until now been my first vacationing preference.

If reading these posts about the "expectations" of peoplein the dining rooms is any indication of what I am about to MEET on our SHIP, this ought to be an experience! Maybe coming in to a dining room ill-fitted is a faux pas, but the way it's been described HERE with the people RESPONDING to these poor souls is down right DISGUSTING and inhumane, and in no WAY fits the "crime"!! You should be ashamed, all you that know the dress code soo very well, and are so prepared to look down your long shiney noses at others for it. Tsk Tsk Tsk...

If you feel the comments are so very disturbing, I just wonder why you feel the need to respond in kind. Just sayin'

The food servers have hundreds of jackets. If you get to the ship without a jacket, speak with your head waiter or the mater de at the MDR. They have been known to hook a guy up with a suit for the formal night dinner and a few dollars in tip can get you a long way.

No flames please! If you disagree with this post, please be polite - I have noticed how serious the cruise wear discussions are!

Ok - would it be acceptable for my dh to wear black slacks with a shirt and tie on formal nights? He doesn't own a sportcoat and hate to buy one if it really isn't needed. He cleans up nicely and I will be in a cocktail dress.

Thanks! :) :)

First cruise Celebrity Eclipse December, 2011!

I don't think so. He has NO dark suits?

a well bred person follows proper dress.its sad when you see prople show up looking like they spent the night sleeping under a bridge

I will be sure to rent a proper tuxedo because I like the way I feel when I dress up. That said, being "well bred" is simply a social construction and doesn't validate one's integrity or merit. If you can convince your husband to suck it up and wear a coat, then that would be appropriate since that's what Celebrity has laid out.

If not, then just make sure the shirt if pressed with light starch, and of course a tie.

I'm sure people who "look" like they live under a bridge, isn't as sad as people who do live in miserable conditions.

The food servers have hundreds of jackets. If you get to the ship without a jacket, speak with your head waiter or the mater de at the MDR. They have been known to hook a guy up with a suit for the formal night dinner and a few dollars in tip can get you a long way.

Really? I would have never thought of that! I found a nice charcoal sport coat on sale for $60 at a local dept. store. Going to pick it up next week.

Archived