Capnpugwash is back on the Queen Elizabeth on the Autumn Retreat 2011

capnpugwash

Update no 8

Chris and I got a cab from the ship to the restaurant that I had selected using http://www.viamichelin.com sadly it was closed for two weeks for holidays which they omitted to share on their site. Undaunted we went to a Brasserie opposite called Le Grand Carrefour, it can be found at 54 Rue General Faidherbe. I had a delicious lunch of boudin noir followed by a selection of French cheeses; we had several beers and some pastis, after lunch we were joined by the birthday girl and her daughter, June who had some wine and coffee. The whole thing only came to 78 Euros and whilst the Brasserie was not the most luxurious location the food and service were good, the cheeses were exceptionally tasty.

After lunch at around 3.30 we all got a cab back to the ship and we called in at the pub for a while, it was a very pleasant interlude and I am back in my cabin preparing for the final evening. I am almost packed with just a few last minute crushable items to put away tomorrow morning. I have a few people to give some cash to and I will attend to that pleasurable task this evening.

We are due to sail out from the harbour, into the Seine Estuary which will become Seine Bay and the English Channel at around 9pm. Our course will be slightly west of north with a 15knot south easterly breeze. The air temperature is 59/15 degrees and the sea is offering small waves of only 5 feet. These conditions are unlikely to change overnight.

As this is the last night the dress code is elegant casual, to mark her mother’s birthday June wants to mark the occasion at dinner tonight with a couple of bottles of champagne. We will do our best to assist her of course. The meal was fantastic tonight, we laughed uproariously for most of it. Again the surrounding tables were looking askance at us but these things just seem to happen and it is an absolute delight to sit at such a table.

I have met some great new people and re-encountered others who I have met before. They have all had a part in making this another memorable cruise. Some are members of the forum but others aren’t, in spite of that I would thank Chris, Miriam, Gordana, Crane, Don, June, Evelyn, Nell, Lynn, Lawrence and Helen for the parts that they played during our time together. I realise that I am so fortunate to be able to spend time doing what I do and it is trips like this one that just keep me coming back. If you have never experienced it you may doubt what I say, but I promise you that I have laughed almost continuously from the first evening until now and that is so special whoever you are.

We are now heading almost north across the Channel at 15 knots and we are a mere 45 miles from Southampton, we get an hour back tonight so it is only 1am and we are due to dock by 7.15 for some reason. I should be off by 8.15 and home by 10. Our table has arranged to have a final breakfast together at 7.30am so I must head to bed now.

I probably won’t provide any further updates unless something untoward or interesting happens overnight. I hope that you have enjoyed this short trip as much as I have been fortunate to do, once again thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts and observations with you.

Fin

TY so much for sharing this with us, once again. I've enjoyed it tremendously, especially as it is only 20 breakfasts until I board QE! Take care, and do think about joining Mr Phoebecat and myself and Bkecky on QV to the Baltics next May - it would be a blast!

TY so much for sharing this with us, once again. I've enjoyed it tremendously, especially as it is only 20 breakfasts until I board QE! Take care, and do think about joining Mr Phoebecat and myself and Bkecky on QV to the Baltics next May - it would be a blast!

You've got pressure from all sides now! Glad you enjoyed yourself, it sounds like you had a really wonderful voyage. Hoping there is still something left in the bar for me! I wish you were staying on today. There is always May though... :p

What a lovely cat on your new avatar:).

Mary

As always, I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts and the sharing of your adventures. I do so hope to meet you on one of your voyages or crossings (I refuse to call them cruises. Even if the ships have been re-flagged, some standards can be kept). Lastly, a belated happy birthday and best wishes for two wonderful crossings next month. I shall look forward to reading all about them. All best, and safe home, which you probably are given the timing of this posting in the US.

Many thanks to you all for your support, encouragement and very kind words. I really appreciate them.

I take it you're safely home now for a rest?

How about taking a few pics next time so we can relate to whom you are mentioning in dispatches?

Anyway, thanks again for an interesting read.

Stewart

I take it you're safely home now for a rest?

How about taking a few pics next time so we can relate to whom you are mentioning in dispatches?

Anyway, thanks again for an interesting read.

Stewart

Stewart

I will be uploading some pics but I have yet to unpack. :)

Thanks for the posts Jim. Happy to hear you had such a great time. Quite amazing isn't it that you can get along so well with total strangers. On a great ship, seeing some nice sights, and then top it off with wonderful company. Sounds like the perfect storm!

Jim

Thanks for report which I've read today after disembarking QE- sorry not to have met you.

Attached are three photos taken from deck three over the rails at the back. The first was taken whilst approaching Amsterdam. The second whilst in port at Zeebrugge and the third this morning after reaching Southampton. The repainting of the name took place whilst in port at Le Havre.

Incidentally, now the fleet have been registered to Bermuda does this mean purchases will be exempt from VAT? All shops on this recent 5 day voyage displayed notices stating that prices excluded VAT and as the ship did not leave EC waters VAT would be charged on top of the advertised prices. Does anyone know the answer to this query?

QE1.jpg.229246266b08f60b073933c5b2934a9a.jpg

QE2.jpg.08bbf1c2131c00573f28eb46be4c3491.jpg

QE3.jpg.2d7a6e845f67d4e1c0ae25bf8a843b58.jpg

Jim

Thanks for report which I've read today after disembarking QE- sorry not to have met you.

Attached are three photos taken from deck three over the rails at the back. The first was taken whilst approaching Amsterdam. The second whilst in port at Zeebrugge and the third this morning after reaching Southampton. The repainting of the name took place whilst in port at Le Havre.

Incidentally, now the fleet have been registered to Bermuda does this mean purchases will be exempt from VAT? All shops on this recent 5 day voyage displayed notices stating that prices excluded VAT and as the ship did not leave EC waters VAT would be charged on top of the advertised prices. Does anyone know the answer to this query?

Why not take a look at these pictures http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1508409

Capnpugwash

In view of the disgraceful lack of service you found in the Buffet mentioned in your postings, did you contact the Food and Beverage Manager?

I know that in the past you have decided to just ignore any drop in standards, but surely even the most ardent supporters of Cunard could not excuse the dismal conditions you experienced that night.

There does come a time when one has to "take a stand"

Does anyone have avg. figures for the number of passengers on QM2 are new to the line or first time cruisers. We seemed to meet more than an average amount of first time Mom and Pop types celebrating something. They wouldn't be able to compare standards or feel the need to complain. Many seasoned passengers seem willing to forgive anything.

Does anyone have avg. figures for the number of passengers on QM2 are new to the line or first time cruisers. We seemed to meet more than an average amount of first time Mom and Pop types celebrating something. They wouldn't be able to compare standards or feel the need to complain. Many seasoned passengers seem willing to forgive anything.

If the seasoned passengers seem willing to forgive anything...and first time cruisers don't have a clue....and the Mom and Pop types celebrating something..don't count., What exactly are you asking???? Who exactly are you looking forward to cruising with?? You've decribed Cundard. And don't forget the teens, the stollers, the elderly in the wheelchairs, and the people who come on board to just have the best time ever. :)

... In the depression, the superliner of that era, RMS BERENGARIA, was sent on short booze cruises, to the point that she came to be known as the "BARGAIN AREA"....

Excellent! I must file that one away for future reference :D

J

Last week I was "this close" to booking myself on the Nov 17 eastbound crossing. I was very much looking forward to a relaxing week and meeting capn once again. Then work gets in the way and 3 days of meetings are booked. :mad:

Life really isn't fair...!

But you can bet I'll be reading the posts. Very curious about the weather and people on the ship this time of year. Have a great time Jim.

Archived