Something similar to Princess

imanewcruiser

I find Celebrity to be fairly close to Princess, a little more formal perhaps but both lines are dignifiedand elegant.Celebrity used to be known as having better food but I don't think that is true anymore. Both lines offer a choice between traditional and anytime (Select on Celebrity) dining, plus a buffet, although Celebrity has a much more limited evening buffet. We usually look at both lines, and decide based on itinerary and price. We had a lovely cruise on Celebrity last summer which Princess does not offer. Anyway, I suggest you give Celebrity a look if you want to try something a little different. I agree that it can get boring to sail the same line all the time.

Although our Princess remains our first love, we had a delightful cruise on HAL in Scandinavia a couple of years ago. We found the decor, food, and activities a little different than on Princess but very comparable and equally enjoyable. Some of the differences we observed may have been due more to the smaller-size ship than to a different line. True to HAL's image, our fellow cruisers did tend to be a bit older than we had encountered on Princess--but these were very active seniors! We saw no more scooters, wheelchairs and the like than on our Princess cruises, and almost everyone was courteous and pleasant. We've also tried RCCL and found it less to our taste--though we did enjoy ourselves, and there is nothing we could really complain about. Just felt that we were somehow a bit out of step.

We have done RCL 3 times and never again. They just don't match up to Princess. We've been on HAL once and would go again if they weren't so much more expensive and had better deals (didn't find the service all that great either). With 2 NCL, 1 HAL, 3 RCL and 26 Princess, can you guess which is our favorite?

totally agree

i have been on royal caribbean 3 times and have never enjoyed the cruise

princess and celebrity are on equal footing

carol

Hmm...Because many loyal to Royals have been disappointed with Celebrity even though it is owned by RCI..Going on my first cruise with Princess after 14 with RCI..hope I don't feel out of step as someone above felt on RCI after sailing Princess...;)

Hmm...Because many loyal to Royals have been disappointed with Celebrity even though it is owned by RCI..Going on my first cruise with Princess after 14 with RCI..hope I don't feel out of step as someone above felt on RCI after sailing Princess...;)

You will notice differences. Many people prefer RCL over other lines and do many cruises with them. It's a matter of preference. But you must go and try not to compare too much. You will find things you like and dislike about each one.

It is always IMO more accurate to compare ships to ships than lines to lines. A line as big as RCL has some great ships and some not so great, same with Carnival, Princess and Celebrity.

That said I agree with the above, if you want a sidestep take Celebrity or perhaps HAL. A lot depends on where you want to sail. Princess basically owns Alaska for instance.

Hope you don't either! You never know. Everyone has their own particular likes, dislikes, and expectations on cruises. I do remember my first Princess cruise after having sailed Royal Caribbean a few times ( and having a wonderful experience and a RCI fan) - I actually loved the Princess cruise and it still is one of my all time favorites. But, I did notice a little bit of difference in daily activities. RCI. had a bit more lively activity than that first Princess cruise I took. I did love the Princess ship decor and layout more than RCI though.

I haven't cruised RCI in a long time as I booked subsequent Princess cruises based on itinerary, price etc and now get some extra perks. However, I really want to try another line again. I posted on the RCI boards over the last month and the folks answering my posts actually recommended Celebrity to me. Interesting.

I tried Celebrity last year and it was nice. I like Princess better, but I think Princess and Celebrity are more alike than different.

What do you like better about Princess than Celebrity and was there anything about Celebrity that you liked better than Princess

It is always IMO more accurate to compare ships to ships than lines to lines. A line as big as RCL has some great ships and some not so great, same with Carnival, Princess and Celebrity.

That said I agree with the above, if you want a sidestep take Celebrity or perhaps HAL. A lot depends on where you want to sail. Princess basically owns Alaska for instance.

Very good point! I've said I will never ever book HAL again because of my 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Statendam several years ago. It was the "deadest" cruise I've ever been on and I had heard such great things about HAL's service and didn't find that to be that great. In fact, I had a "mini" stalker from the Buffet Restaurant staff on that cruise. I was somewhat inexperienced at cruising then and felt a bit nervous about reporting him so didn't. Now, of course, I'd report him in an instant.

Archived