Luggage question

deena26

Great feedback thanks!! Think I'm to much of a rookie for fancy, skilled packing, definitely dont have ANY fantasies of doing laundry while onboard. Plus alot of my excitement is coming from dressing up and taking lots of memorable photos to make our '2nd ever cruise book' with! I'm still feeling super squirmy about adding another piece to the luggage set, as it stands I will have zero room for wine & water, but with the one extra I could really spread the stuff out and maybe manage a few drinks. I think I'm gonna do it, I will feel ridiculous, my husband will be mortified, but I'm not sure I have many options..If we were flying, I would never manage.

My family has always made fun of me for over packing but...on our last cruise my DH & DD decided at the last minute to join the scavenger hunt. They got started later than all the other groups but ended up winning the coveted stick on a ship. Due to my packing "finesse" and port shopping ~ we had a good portion of the items on the list in our cabins :o

So there are two of us & we will be gone from home for 8 days, so I thought a 4 piece between us would do ( a tiered set w/ one gigantic one too) but I am busting out of my two luggages & of course I am packing all the toiletries and meds, etc. Soooo I am really on the fence about adding another piece to the set, so I'm thinking 4 checked bags & one carry on- does that seem obnoxious or pretty normal?? Just wanted to know what other people are packing for a similar trip!! Thanks

I think... you are taking way too much for 8 days! I used to be an overpacker. And then when it dawned on me that I neither needed nor wore half the stuff I brought I wised up. Lay out all the clothes you want to bring with you on your bed. Then, put half of them back. You will probably still be bringing too much lol Have a great cruise no matter what you decide!

Dee

This is my current packing list: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30475684&postcount=53

I'm a size 12-16, depending on what the item is. I don't go barefoot, but I only take 3 pairs of shoes and 2 of them squish flat (I don't do heels, I'm clutzy enough without them). I dress up, but I don't wear makeup. I'm bringing one fancy backless evening gown (probably) and one LBD (little black dress).

Most of my clothes are quick-dry and very lightweight. I can wash everything in about 30 minutes (3-4 mins for a single item), and all will be dry by morning.

Everything I wear can be worn with almost everything else. I'm bring 1 pair of shorts, because I'm doing the zip lines. Otherwise, I wear all skorts/skirts.

I don't stink by the time I go home - I'm just as clean as anyone else who bothered to take a shower and put on clean clothes. The dirty hippy smell is just from the natural soap. (j/k - I smell lovely, but not perfumed. :p) I need to revise my list - I just bought a solid soap/shampoo/conditioner that I LOVE and can pare down even more.

ETA: I'm more motivated than usual. Mom just got back from a Mediterranean cruise. Her friend's luggage still hasn't been found (airline lost it on the way over), and Mom's luggage got soaked sitting on the tarmac.

Great packing list, I'm impressed!

Dee

I am leaving on a 10 day cruise with a rolling 20" carryon, and another rolling 20" as my checked bag. And I have overpacked. I was packing for another trip, and the carryon is a semi-hard HEYS hybrid. I realized when I had five p air capris, nightgown, long dress, five shirts, assorted underwear...In one half of the bag, that I could do ten days with it and another the same size. And if I can do ten days that way, next year I can do 24 days with the same luggage (the 24 is really two 12 day cruise tacked together). Piece of cake. Oh, and I am only taking four pair shoes, wearing one of them. EM

Sorry to highjack the thread but i was looking at the Heys Hard luggage and was wondering if they are worth the $$. They look pretty deep.

Thanks,

Kristy:)

take whatever you want! i always cruise with lots of luggage and have everything i want. i don't want to be in my cabin and say i wish i had ____!

You drop off your luggage to a porter and they haul it on the ship and off the ship for you.

so whatever your little heart desires take. some people cram their stuff in to one tiny carry on. good for them. some carry 5-6 pieces.

I'm an airline employee...i can pack down to a litty bitty bag if i choose. but when i'm cruising, i want everything i want with me, and if i choose to do laundry fine. but i don't want to wear the same thing on the second formal night as i did on the first (as some people do) and neither will my dh. but honestly, i don't want to do laundry while on vacation-that's the last thing on my mind and wearing clothes 2-3 times...no thanks i'm usually pretty active in ports and will change clothes when i want/need to.

i also like to have my beach blanket and snorkel equipment too. :eek: so 5-6 pieces of luggage, including 2 extra large suitcases. and this is for dh & i only. :D

Hey - too each his own, as my Mother used to say, but I want to enjoy my cruise and not spend all my time unpacking on the first night and packing on the last! I love fashionable clothing, jewelry and shoes but the thought of packing more than one bag makes me crazy! If it doesn't fit into one large rolling suitcase then it stays home! Most airlines have a 50 lb. max. and I like to keep my bag around 45 so I can bring home a few new things (and to breath a sigh of relief at check-in). But, I ALWAYS pack a lightweight foldable large tote for the return trip to pack my new purchases!

It's hard to believe that someone would even consider bringing 2-3 pieces per person - what the heck are you packing?

I pack one dinner outfit for each night which might include pants or capris that are worn at least twice each. I try to stick to a color scheme of black that way i don't have to bring black AND brown shoes/pants and most items coordinate with either the black or white.

Each outfits jewelry goes into a small ziploc bag and I write on the bag with a black sharpie or have also hooked it on the hanger with the outfit. If I have a pair of shoes that coordinate with only one outfit then they don't come with me - it's a simple as that! I pack 2 black swimsuit bottoms and 3-4 tops for a 7 night cruise I usually bring 5 dress-style coverups. In the morning I wear a swimsuit and coverup and that stays on until dinner. My coverups are styslish and acceptablein the dining room. My days are spent either by the pool or on a shore excursion that involves the beach. On our next cruise, however, I will pack a few casual tops to coordinate with capris for our pre and post cruise days in Miami and a day of sightseeing in Curacao.

I always carry-on my camera, jewelry and important meds,/toiletires in case you get stuck overnight. We live in New England, but even when travelling in the winter I leave my coat in the car as well as winter-shoes so I don't have to add their bulk to my suitcase and wear sandals that I will wear on the cruise. (For the quick dash from the parking lot to the airport terminal I can face the cold/snow). A jean jacket or pashmina are worn on the plane and can come in handy if it's chilly in FL for pre/post cruise and can be easily stuffed into my carry-on.

I travel with 2 teenage girls and the same rulse apply to them. Althogh they also bring shorts and tshirts to change into after dinner so they can have fun in comfort.

If you plan well and color coordinate your outfits you can manage one larage suitcase.

Archived