Luggage question

deena26

So there are two of us & we will be gone from home for 8 days, so I thought a 4 piece between us would do ( a tiered set w/ one gigantic one too) but I am busting out of my two luggages & of course I am packing all the toiletries and meds, etc. Soooo I am really on the fence about adding another piece to the set, so I'm thinking 4 checked bags & one carry on- does that seem obnoxious or pretty normal?? Just wanted to know what other people are packing for a similar trip!! Thanks

I cruise in two weeks and last time was in 2006 and 2007. I always take a terrible amount of luggage!!! A hanging bag for hanging clothes, a bag w/ shoes/etc. and another bag of clothes, one w/ makeup/toiletries. Basically, I'd be hard pressed to fit it all in two bags. Of course, I drive to port and if I had to fly, I'd have to drastically cut down the amount of stuff I take.

So there are two of us & we will be gone from home for 8 days, so I thought a 4 piece between us would do ( a tiered set w/ one gigantic one too) but I am busting out of my two luggages & of course I am packing all the toiletries and meds, etc. Soooo I am really on the fence about adding another piece to the set, so I'm thinking 4 checked bags & one carry on- does that seem obnoxious or pretty normal?? Just wanted to know what other people are packing for a similar trip!! Thanks

I think you might be waaaaayyyyyyy overpacking.........I'm getting ready to leave on a 7 day immediately followed by a 5 day and I will be away from home for 16 days.........My sister and I are each taking a 27" and a carry-on.......We have 7 daytime outfits (most of which can be worn to the MDR in the evening), a formal outfit and 2 slacks (that can be worn a couple of times and match some of the daytime tops), plus bathing suit, coverup, undies, nighties and 2 pairs of shoes......plus we'll have an outfit on including shoes.......so with mixing and matching I probably have 15 different "looks" most of which are suitable for day or evening wear.....

There are washers/dryers on all ships and we plan on doing a load of undies toward the end of the 1st cruise.........we're platinum, so we'll send the rest out for free laundry service.

Hello Deena, Sound pretty typical to me. For me and hubby, we always have:

One large pullman

One medium pullman

One large duffle full of shoes, toiletry kits, snorkel gear etc

One large garment bag

He carries his camera bag, and sometimes laptop.

I have a carry on with purse, docs, book, mp3, medications, jewelry and a change of clothes. Yes we have to pay for the second checked bag each. And yes we carefully weigh our bags before we leave for the airport. And I pack a luggage scale to weigh them again for the trip home.

Still, I keep hearing people claim to be able to do and entire week long cruise with a carry-on bag. I have no clue how they do it. All I can figure is that they either: wear a size one, go barefoot, skinny dip all week and stink by the time they go home. Or they're full of it.

I am leaving on a 10 day cruise with a rolling 20" carryon, and another rolling 20" as my checked bag. And I have overpacked. I was packing for another trip, and the carryon is a semi-hard HEYS hybrid. I realized when I had five p air capris, nightgown, long dress, five shirts, assorted underwear...In one half of the bag, that I could do ten days with it and another the same size. And if I can do ten days that way, next year I can do 24 days with the same luggage (the 24 is really two 12 day cruise tacked together). Piece of cake. Oh, and I am only taking four pair shoes, wearing one of them. EM

My DW and I are taking two hangup bags, one 26" suitcase, one 24" suitcase to check. Then an 18 and a 20" carry- on. But keep in mind:

1. We LIKE to Dress up a little more than others, and we are OK with that.

2. We will include the Wine and drinks in one carry on.

3. Also this is a cruise leaving from Baltimore in NOV to the Bahamas, lots of weather changes.

How you pack is up to you. I don't think you are over-packing.

Take a look at what's in your cases right now... take out half. You are now overpacked!

Seriously, pack for comfort... not for style. You'll spend most of your time in shorts and such! There's no need for an entirely different outfit each night and I'm sure that on some nights y'all will eat at the buffet anyway...

:)

Hahahaha, thanks for the support & humor! I do realize we like to dress up- I'm 1/2 tomboy year round- cant wait to dress like girl again- no jeans!! lots of shoes is my big problem plus I'm a toiletry addict, then theres the electronics. We are driving to port so that helps, but I feel like my husband is giving me the 'squint eye' over the luggage, so thats why I was asking!!

One large pullman

One medium pullman

One large garment bag

I have a carry on with purse, docs, book, mp3, medications, jewelry and a change of clothes. Yes we have to pay for the second checked bag each. And yes we carefully weigh our bags before we leave for the airport. And I pack a luggage scale to weigh them again for the trip home.

Still, I keep hearing people claim to be able to do and entire week long cruise with a carry-on bag. I have no clue how they do it. All I can figure is that they either: wear a size one, go barefoot, skinny dip all week and stink by the time they go home. Or they're full of it.

LOL! I have no desire to even pack just one small carry on. I overpack and have no problem with it. I would rather have too much than not enough.

2 shorts, 8 t shirts including the one you're wearing. Pair of heels, flip flops and good walking sandals. NO more! One dressy slacks with 2 tops for elegant nights. Or 2 dresses. Toiletries go in over the door thingy. Meds in carry on. 2 bags max per person or you have way too much stuff.

This is my current packing list: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30475684&postcount=53

I'm a size 12-16, depending on what the item is. I don't go barefoot, but I only take 3 pairs of shoes and 2 of them squish flat (I don't do heels, I'm clutzy enough without them). I dress up, but I don't wear makeup. I'm bringing one fancy backless evening gown (probably) and one LBD (little black dress).

Most of my clothes are quick-dry and very lightweight. I can wash everything in about 30 minutes (3-4 mins for a single item), and all will be dry by morning.

Everything I wear can be worn with almost everything else. I'm bring 1 pair of shorts, because I'm doing the zip lines. Otherwise, I wear all skorts/skirts.

I don't stink by the time I go home - I'm just as clean as anyone else who bothered to take a shower and put on clean clothes. The dirty hippy smell is just from the natural soap. (j/k - I smell lovely, but not perfumed. :p) I need to revise my list - I just bought a solid soap/shampoo/conditioner that I LOVE and can pare down even more.

ETA: I'm more motivated than usual. Mom just got back from a Mediterranean cruise. Her friend's luggage still hasn't been found (airline lost it on the way over), and Mom's luggage got soaked sitting on the tarmac.

For eight days it seems like twice what is needed.

We take one 27 inch for the two of us for seven nights.

That is about what we take..we drive also. I like having options of what I want to wear, not 7 outfits for 7 days. I pack 3-4 extra shirts, and one extra dress. If I dont wear something, no biggie it goes home and gets hung up. I do try to cut back on shoes and wear them a few times each pr. I used to have 5 different heels for dinners, 5 different sandals, sneakers and water shoes. Now I am down to 2 heels, 3 sandals, sneakers and water shoes lol so thats 5 prs not taken. So I try :)

One large pullman

One medium pullman

One large garment bag

Hi I'm one of those you 'hate':) that can pack into a carryon for a cruise.

The trick is to limit shoes, mix and match, repeat clothes, layer, reduce toiletries, etc. Febreez and laundry are used.

My one packing extravagance is my med kit full of contingency medicines.

When we stayed on StThomas we even got masks, snorkel and fins into the cases.

DH's list is smaller than mine- 2 pair dockers, 1 shorts, a shirt for each day, undergarments, walking shoes, sandals, tooth brush, toothpaste and razor.

For more info check out this thread on the Beauty board, especially Post 15-- 85 days with a 19" and a 21" for two

I wouldn't worry about it. Pack how you feel comfortable! I would rather have too much than not enough.

I'm with the few who said pack what you want. I, too, would rather have more than not enough. I want choices.

I'm not doing everything in black & white, or whatever, and there is no way in he## I'm doing laundry on vacation.

I drive to the port and do realize that makes a difference.

Happy cruisin'! :)

We never eat dinner at the buffet. We usually change for dinner and the evening (dress or slacks & dressy blouse for DW, long trousers for me). We intend to not do laundry on a cruise, although I own a lot of shirts that can be tossed in the sink and put on a hangar to dry overnight.

We are getting all our clothes for the upcoming TA (16 days) in two 28" hard side cases and one or two carry ons. We are meeting the weight limits too. It has taken some creative packing, but we are doing it.

Doc

We always over-pack, but since we also always drive to the departure port, it doesn't really matter, as long as it all fits onto the vacationmobile!! In the past this has been a limiting factor, but since we just bought a much larger vehicle, we'll have plenty of room for the 4 of us and all the luggage we could possibly want to take! :D

We just came back on Saturday and managed with just one 25" bag for hubby and myself. We didn't wear everything I packed even then. Roll items and twice will fit than without rolling. It was nice to have just the one bag to search for. I did take a smaller 20" bag full of drinks. It worked out nice in the corner for a dirty clothes hamper and left room in the other bag for my coconut monkey cup and whale tail cup along with the huge conch shell from Nassau. We didn't need half what I drug along. Nobody cares if you wear the same thing twice and you really don't do anything to get dirty.

I'm with the "take what you want" group. DH and I have only been on 4 cruises (5th coming up in Feb.) and always take 4 huge suitcases and 2 carryon's each. I don't wear things more than once without washing them and I don't want to do laundry while cruising although inevitably we end up with at least one load having to be done.

I would love to be able to pare down but just can't make myself do it. :p

Archived