Vegetarians hung out to dry by 2.0 changes.

Nemspy

Hey buddy! Good to see you back. Things could use some livening up around here. :)

Nice to see you too Broo....er Deb:p I agree but the climate here at CC has completely changed. Too much emotional constipation and corn cobbage going on...seems like this has turned into a "no fun zone".

Beef it's what for dinner. YUM. Was just talking to my buddy today about how my town needs a Blakes Lottaburger....*sigh*....can only dream.

My personal choice is not to consume anything that previously had life. .

I'm not trying to be snarky, but what can you eat which didn't have life? Besides maybe salt. Vegetables and Fruits were living things before they were harvested.

How do you distinguish between the different types of lives? The "quality" of the life? The ability to fear and protest being killed? The ability to express pain when killed?

Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just trying to understand.

I'm not trying to be snarky' date=' but what can you eat which didn't have life? Besides maybe salt. Vegetables and Fruits were living things before they were harvested.

How do you distinguish between the different types of lives? The "quality" of the life? The ability to fear and protest being killed? The ability to express pain when killed?

Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just trying to understand.[/quote']

I too was trying to figure that one out. (And yes, you were trying to be snarky and yes you were trying to STP.) :p

Even Burger King makes a veggy burger which is quite good because I eat them when I am there. I'm not a total veg but I just choose not to eat things that have to be killed.

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OIIIO

I too was trying to figure that one out. (And yes, you were trying to be snarky and yes you were trying to STP.) :p

Liv, Sweetie, I am so perturbed that you question the unassailable goodness of my postings. I am both shocked and appalled. :D

I just had a thought. It's possible for a single dish to meet multiple special requests. Consider pasta with tomato sauce, flavored with herbs and spices. It contains only wheat, tomato, and a number of other plants. There! That makes it suitable for vegans. By definition, it's also suitable for vegetarians. Is it kosher? As long as the box of dried pasta, the can of tomato sauce, and the jars of spices have a "certified kosher" symbol on them, that take care of it, and fresh produce is kosher by default. Halal? In some less strict branches of Islam, kosher food is permissible. One dish can suit four different special requests. If the pasta sauce has cheese in it, and the cheese is kosher, that still fits three special requests. In the end, it doesn't cost the cruise line a lot, and it allows people with restrictive diets to sail with them, rather than someone else. And it doesn't have to be only pasta with tomato sauce; bean burritos, Greek salad, bruschetta, tuna sandwiches, and cheese pizza can easily be suitable for multiple special diets.

However, it's important to note that unless someone's dietary lifestyle comes from medical or religious restrictions, it's ultimately a choice. And if a person chooses to eat a certain way, there needs to be an understanding that not every food establishment will have a good selection of suitable food items. Even in non-choice cases, the same concepts apply. This is doubly true if the type of establishment, like a steakhouse, suggests that would not be suitable for all diets.

Is it kosher? As long as the box of dried pasta, the can of tomato sauce, and the jars of spices have a "certified kosher" symbol on them, that take care of it, and fresh produce is kosher by default.

I'm not a Jew, but from what I hear from some friends I have - there is a lot more to keeping kosher. A dish isn't kosher unless it was prepared in a kosher kitchen. So on board, most lines I've seen will offer pre-packaged kosher foods but are unable to prepare dishes themselves. Even the plates, cooking & serving utensils, etc etc can not have come in contact with non kosher food / leavened bread.

However, it's important to note that unless someone's dietary lifestyle comes from medical or religious restrictions, it's ultimately a choice. And if a person chooses to eat a certain way, there needs to be an understanding that not every food establishment will have a good selection of suitable food items. Even in non-choice cases, the same concepts apply. This is doubly true if the type of establishment, like a steakhouse, suggests that would not be suitable for all diets.

Exactly.

I'm not a Jew, but from what I hear from some friends I have - there is a lot more to keeping kosher. A dish isn't kosher unless it was prepared in a kosher kitchen. So on board, most lines I've seen will offer pre-packaged kosher foods but are unable to prepare dishes themselves. Even the plates, cooking & serving utensils, etc etc can not have come in contact with non kosher food / leavened bread.

Correct, although the leavened bread is only an issue during Passover.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that a person who decides to eschew meat products (for whatever misguided reason) wants to eat a "burger".

That is exactly what I was thinking. With all the good non-meat foods out there, I've never understood the intense effort and expense folks will go to to obtain a highly processed version of something that looks like meat - tofu/soy that's actually shaped like a cutlet, chop etc (and that IMO does not taste very good.) Given the choice between a processed veggie patty, and say a grilled portobello or sweet onion, I'd choose the natural option every time - tastier. I can think of any number of entrees that are widely available and taste better (and are more nutritious) than fake meat - meatless burritos, fajitas, tacos; pasta with non-meat sauces; salad; omelettes and fritattas.

Our kids (identical twins) are on a very restrictive vegatarian diet. <google PKU>. We have to bring on their own special pasta at a cost of $8 a pound. They get most of their protein from a powdered drink mix that is made up daily from a prescription.

When we cruised Carnival they were wonderful with the diet. We took pasta down, a special dry cheese sauce etc. for them. The assistant at the front of the dining room was very helpful.

They would order any veggie they wanted off the adult or kids menu and there is a wide variety offered nightly.

I've ordered veggies off the mdr menu when I didn't like the item that came with my entree. Never had a problem.

They are always most gracious.

Hugh in Dallas

Given that for the most part, in Western cultures, being a vegetarian or a vegan is a personal lifestyle/social agenda choice (this includes adult onset religious affliations), not dictated by indigenous religion or economic/environemntal conditions (small populations of native animal protein sources), the onus is on the vegetarian/vegan to ensure that their dietary needs can be or are met in circumstances where normal food sources aren't readily available. And if this means foregoing tofu burgers, so be it. No regulation/mandate dictates that any cruise lines MUST offer one-for-one options to accommodate all known and unknown dietary needs. You can and vegetarians and vegans do eat well on cruises, but it's up to you to monitor and direct those choices. As far as "sameness, unexciting" choices go, with the advent of standardized menus across the fleet, there is a similar sameness present in all food choices for carnivores as well.

liv' date=' sweetie, i am so perturbed that you question the unassailable goodness of my postings. I am both shocked and appalled. :d[/quote']

riiiiiiggggghhhhttttt...... :p

I just had a thought. It's possible for a single dish to meet multiple special requests. Consider pasta with tomato sauce, flavored with herbs and spices. It contains only wheat, tomato, and a number of other plants. There! That makes it suitable for vegans. By definition, it's also suitable for vegetarians. Is it kosher? As long as the box of dried pasta, the can of tomato sauce, and the jars of spices have a "certified kosher" symbol on them, that take care of it, and fresh produce is kosher by default. Halal? In some less strict branches of Islam, kosher food is permissible. One dish can suit four different special requests. If the pasta sauce has cheese in it, and the cheese is kosher, that still fits three special requests. In the end, it doesn't cost the cruise line a lot, and it allows people with restrictive diets to sail with them, rather than someone else. And it doesn't have to be only pasta with tomato sauce; bean burritos, Greek salad, bruschetta, tuna sandwiches, and cheese pizza can easily be suitable for multiple special diets.

Real pasta is made with Semolina flour and eggs. Vegans can't eat eggs so they would need special pasta other than the standard.

Real pasta is made with Semolina flour and eggs. Vegans can't eat eggs so they would need special pasta other than the standard.

Very little made in Italy dry pasta has eggs in it anymore. Not even Fettucine which was traditionally an egg pasta.

Hugh in Dallas

Archived