Tulum Ruins??

LilTink13

Hey! The DH and I are going on a cruise coming up in February... he has his heart set on visiting the Tulum ruins this go in Cozumel. Anyone have any experience with private tours? We would rather avoid the cruise excursions if at all possible... Thanks in advance! :eek:

I didn't see Tulum, but when we went there (Cozumel) in 03/2010 (Voyager of the Seas), some of our new cruise friends (don't you love that?) went to Tulum and it took all friggin' day and you cannot climb anything there, unlike most ruins in Mexico. Lame.

Don't get me wrong, I love ruins (my favorite part of visiting such historically rich places as Mexico), but I would save that for a Cancun/Playa del Carmen vacation, when you can take your time. There's much to see and do on the island of Cozumel. If there were any port of call in the Carib. to do "free style," it's definitely Cozumel.

Best of luck in your choice and the excursion(s)!

Hey! The DH and I are going on a cruise coming up in February... he has his heart set on visiting the Tulum ruins this go in Cozumel. Anyone have any experience with private tours? We would rather avoid the cruise excursions if at all possible... Thanks in advance! :eek:

This excursion requires to much travel to fool around with except for a ship sponsored excursion.

2+ hrs with the ferry and drive to Tulum (roundtrip) makes it tough unless you're in port 10 hrs. You can certainly do it but there can be delays as already noted. Tulum ruins are very neat and their location is amazing.

Most folks who stay in the Playa area combine that with the Xcaret or another eco tour. You may want to consider staying in Playa Del Carmen (or Playacar) as we do and experience all that the Yucatan has to offer. There are other runis that you can climb, and the area is beautiful with the jungle and cenotes.

With the ferry and bus ride, I would NOT do this tour outside of a Princess excursion. You miss the boat and you'll have to get to the next stop on your own.

Tulum was great! I highly recommend it.

I have to agree. I normally avoid the cruise line excursions at all costs but this is one that I would do with the cruise line as it involves ferries and buses. I also recommend doing the Tulum ruins.

I didn't see Tulum, but when we went there (Cozumel) in 03/2010 (Voyager of the Seas), some of our new cruise friends (don't you love that?) went to Tulum and it took all friggin' day and you cannot climb anything there, unlike most ruins in Mexico. Lame.

Don't get me wrong, I love ruins (my favorite part of visiting such historically rich places as Mexico), but I would save that for a Cancun/Playa del Carmen vacation, when you can take your time. There's much to see and do on the island of Cozumel. If there were any port of call in the Carib. to do "free style," it's definitely Cozumel.

Best of luck in your choice and the excursion(s)!

Since you did not see it I would suggest that you are wrong in using the word lame. These are unique ruins as they are on the sea coast. On some excursions you can even add neat beach time. Yes, they are protecting the ruins from damage from us tourists but they are also protecting us from damaging ourselves. They don't need to be climbed to enjoy. This ruin site is well worth seeing either from a cruise ship doing Cozumel or a Cancun/Maya Rivera vacation. The only question is whether folks are willing and able to endure the long day involved with doing it from Cozumel. I did the long day from a ship and don't regret it.

We visited Tulum on a ship's tour in December 2009. I would really encourage you to use the ship's tour for this one. With the ferry and the bus ride, it is a bit of a distance to go. Our tour ran late, and the ship waited for us. Had we been on a private tour, we most likely would have been left behind.

Archived