Out of Country Medicial Insurance for Canadians

oceansandseas

I have completed a SEARCH for this and can not seem to find what I was looking for in all of those posts.

I remember a Canadian who posts regularly enough so that I identify the name (however the name has escaped me) and she mentioned the insurance that is best for Canadians living in Ontario. Would she please, or anyone else for that matter, post the company that she said was good. I have never had to purchase this before as our group (work) health insurance covered out of country. No longer available to us. Taking a 33 day trip and then a 14 day trip a month later. Healthy 69 and 73 year old couple.

Thanks to all who answer.

I have completed a SEARCH for this and can not seem to find what I was looking for in all of those posts.

I remember a Canadian who posts regularly enough so that I identify the name (however the name has escaped me) and she mentioned the insurance that is best for Canadians living in Ontario. Would she please, or anyone else for that matter, post the company that she said was good. I have never had to purchase this before as our group (work) health insurance covered out of country. No longer available to us. Taking a 33 day trip and then a 14 day trip a month later. Healthy 69 and 73 year old couple.

Here is alink that you can compare a lot of products.

http://www2.hbc.com/hbcfinancial/html/en/index.shtml

Bill

Is it just medical you are looking for or cancellation as well?

Medipac you can add cancellation ins to the annual plan

There are many options RBC, PC Finacial, TD, Manulife, etc...

you can also check insurmytrip.ca for other plans

Check out CARP they are a group that supports Canadian seniors.

Here is the link for their benefits page http://www.carp.ca/category/benefits/ . They offer many services and you get a free subscription to Zoomer magazine if you join.

I recently retired and my out of country travel benefits were eliminated as part of my package I was able to get an insurance package at CARP that covers me for a full year of travel while out of Province (Ontario) but still in Canada and unlimited multiple 30 day out of country trip coverage for the year. I can pay to extend the coverage if I travel for longer then 30 days outside the country, I simply notify them in advance or before the 30 days out of country coverage is up and I pay for the number of days I want coverage extended. You can choose a shorter number of day packages for less cost as well.

This is a great option because we can take a day trip to Buffalo or a weekend to NY and be covered without calling for coverage or be spontaneous and decide to stay longer out of country before returning home without worrying about coverage.

OHIP does not give full coverage of costs even in Canada because of the different fee services between the provinces so this is a great option to have even in Canada.

Just got back from a 7 day cruise that had me out of country for 17 days as we drove to Florida, I am heading to Buffalo tomorrow for some cross boarder shopping and I will be going to Daytona for Bike Week in March for 20 days . We are booked on a 16 day cruise April 14th from New Orleans to Barcelona on Royal then we plan to train to Paris for a week or so after we disembark. We intend to drive to California next summer via Vancouver and now friends are talking about doing a group cruise (5 COUPLES) in January our insurance is all covered in advance no worries no "stress". That just gets us to next September, I thought retirement was a calm time in ones life?

I recommend all Canadian seniors to look at CARP=Canadian Association of Retired Persons. http://www.carp.ca/

Edited by baldercash

The Cruise/Travel Insurance Forum of CC has some great info on Canadian-based insurance providers.

Here are a few recent threads to get you going ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1390788

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1423564

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1184340

"tropicalkerry2002" check your credit card coverage all major cards can be easily upgraded to cover trip cancellation and rental car insurance for a very minimal price. So if you book your trip with a credit card you immediately have coverage.

I priced health coverage at CAA ( Canadian AAA ) their quote for 14 days was half what my years coverage through CARP was.

The Travel Insurance Program for CARP Members is underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife Financial), and by First North American Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Manulife Financial.

We always use RBC for both medical and cancellation . We've never had to use it thx. goodness but it's good to know it's there if something happens. I turn 70 in December and although we don't have to make final payment on our latest cruise until January, we're going to make sure it is paid by the end of this month so that I qualify for the up to age 69 rate. There is quite a difference and worth paying it up a month early.

I've seen a warning recently that I rarely see discissed. That is the amount that must be paid out of any other insurance before the travel insurance kicks in. ie, if I have insurance through my company that pays some out-of-country medical, some plans will insist that I get all I can from that, then they will pay the rest. The danger in this is that if there is a lifetime maximum for the company plan (which there often is) it may be impacted significantly. I checked RBC travel insurance because that's what I've used in the past, and it indeed says it is the "last payer". (Not sure of the exact terminology.)

It isn't easy to research this because that info is in the confusing fine print. Anyone know more about it?

(Of course, it is normal to first claim whatever is available on the provincial plan. Usually that's not much, but takes weeks to process!)

I've seen a warning recently that I rarely see discissed. That is the amount that must be paid out of any other insurance before the travel insurance kicks in. ie, if I have insurance through my company that pays some out-of-country medical, some plans will insist that I get all I can from that, then they will pay the rest. The danger in this is that if there is a lifetime maximum for the company plan (which there often is) it may be impacted significantly. I checked RBC travel insurance because that's what I've used in the past, and it indeed says it is the "last payer". (Not sure of the exact terminology.)

(Of course, it is normal to first claim whatever is available on the provincial plan. Usually that's not much, but takes weeks to process!)

I think most of the ones you get from the banks are secondary policies.

You need to find one that is PRIMARY payer ..they pay first

I had Manulife but because we were on a cruise ship we had to pay then claim the amount from Manulife

another trip they did pay the hospital in the U.S. but we also got a bill from the ER doctor which they took their time paying

It is really confusing to say the least

lyn

I find Presidents Choice has the best price. While I have used them I have never had a claim. Just a suggestion to check out.

I find Presidents Choice has the best price. While I have used them I have never had a claim. Just a suggestion to check out.

I have used them quite a bit but I went to claim for damaged luggage & first they want you to claim it on your house insurance & if they do not pay then PC will

I was fortunate to contact the luggage company & they repaired the suitcase free of charge & even shipped it to us n/c

I am now shopping around more carefully

Lyn

I have used them quite a bit but I went to claim for damaged luggage & first they want you to claim it on your house insurance & if they do not pay then PC will

I was fortunate to contact the luggage company & they repaired the suitcase free of charge & even shipped it to us n/c

I am now shopping around more carefully

Lyn

Thanks for the update. Will shop around now and probably NOT use them.

After a great deal of research I have found the following:

Most travel insurance is "last payor". ie you must claim on whatever other insurance you have first. However, I have found that Blue Cross (Ontario, at least) is a "first payor". It is not on their web site but I called. She said lots of people use them for that reason. (Pacific Blue Cross is also first payor as indicated on their web page. That's why I decided to investigate Ontario Blue Cross.)

However, I have also found that my company health benefits would pay very little for out of country expenses anyway. It would, however, use up my "health care expense account" for the year, whatever was remaining in that. So I would probably go with the Blue Cross unless I find something against them.

After a great deal of research I have found the following:

Most travel insurance is "last payor". ie you must claim on whatever other insurance you have first. However, I have found that Blue Cross (Ontario, at least) is a "first payor". It is not on their web site but I called. She said lots of people use them for that reason. (Pacific Blue Cross is also first payor as indicated on their web page. That's why I decided to investigate Ontario Blue Cross.)

Thanks for sharing your research

Lyn

Just a final bit of information: If my online quotes are correct, it looks like Blue Cross is much mode expensive. ie around $600 vs $120 (for RBC) for my particular case. That's a bit apples vs oranges though, since the Blue Cross includes trip cancellation whereas the RBC one said I had to call them if I wanted that option. Nevertheless, it does loo like BC is rather expensive. I don't make any non-refundable payments until January, so I will do some more rigorous research sometime later.

Just a final bit of information: If my online quotes are correct, it looks like Blue Cross is much mode expensive. ie around $600 vs $120 (for RBC) for my particular case. That's a bit apples vs oranges though, since the Blue Cross includes trip cancellation whereas the RBC one said I had to call them if I wanted that option. Nevertheless, it does loo like BC is rather expensive. I don't make any non-refundable payments until January, so I will do some more rigorous research sometime later.

Trip cancellation is where the costs add up

We pay in the $800 + range ( no medical) for us but we are both over 60 it will go up more when you are over 65

Of course it is based on the cost of the vacation so that hard to compare with other people

Keep us posted

Lyn

• 2 years later...
What about the Automobile Association? We use BCAA here and they have good package.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just posted this on a different thread in the Floataway Lounge, but feel this is a more appropriate place to post this warning:

DH was talking to someone who recently broke her arm in the USA after returning from a cruise. She had purchased CAA travel insurance, but 3 hospitals would not accept it because it was not from a bank or from a worldwide recognized insurance company, such as Sun Life. She ended up travelling in a car all the way back to Canada from Florida with her broken arm to receive treatment!

Once home, she tried to get CAA to return the money she paid for the policy, since it was useless, but they would not because she did not issue a claim.

As she is older, the amount paid for this useless policy was considerable.

I would have thought anything from the CAA would be accepted, as it is affiliated with the AAA.

DH was talking to someone who recently broke her arm in the USA after returning from a cruise. She had purchased CAA travel insurance, but 3 hospitals would not accept it because it was not from a bank or from a worldwide recognized insurance company, such as Sun Life. She ended up travelling in a car all the way back to Canada from Florida with her broken arm to receive treatment!

Once home, she tried to get CAA to return the money she paid for the policy, since it was useless, but they would not because she did not issue a claim.

I would have thought anything from the CAA would be accepted, as it is affiliated with the AAA.

When ever we have had to have medical treatment in the USA you pay up first then submit the claim to insurance ...

I think some ins companies will pay the hospital direct if you contact them before treatment if possible

How terrible she had to drive all that distance in pain

Lyn

When ever we have had to have medical treatment in the USA you pay up first then submit the claim to insurance ...

I think some ins companies will pay the hospital direct if you contact them before treatment if possible

How terrible she had to drive all that distance in pain

Lyn

The way she told the story was that the 3 hospitals would not treat her once she said she had CAA coverage.

Yes, there could be more to the story, but she was an elderly woman in pain and the hospitals were not at all interested in helping her, if only to help her understand her options.

I can't imagine how awful that long drive home must have been.

The way she told the story was that the 3 hospitals would not treat her once she said she had CAA coverage.

Yes, there could be more to the story, but she was an elderly woman in pain and the hospitals were not at all interested in helping her, if only to help her understand her options.

I can't imagine how awful that long drive home must have been.

I have trouble sitting the car for a long drive back from Fla without a broken arm one can only imagine the pain & trauma she endured

Looking at the CAA ins it says to contact them & they will try to deal with the hospital

http://www.caasco.com/Insurance/Travel-Insurance/How-to-File-a-Claim.aspx

Maybe she thought the insurance would be taken by the hospitals in the USA just like OHIP here

I do hope she recovers soon

Lyn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just posted this on a different thread in the Floataway Lounge, but feel this is a more appropriate place to post this warning:

In the United States, it has been illegal since 1986 for a Hospital to refuse to treat an Emergency Room Patient, regardless of insurance or ability to pay:

http://www.ascensionhealth.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146&Itemid=172

Considering that the penalties to a Hospital which denies treatment may be as severe as revocation of its' credentials to accept Medicare, it seems unlikely that the story that your husband "heard" was accurate.

No American Hospital would take that risk in order to avoid setting a broken limb, never mind THREE of them.

Edited by JimandStan
additional content