What am I forgetting?

First time cruise with RCI...I'm used to Carnival...I'm really thinking in "general" it's not much different...But I'm soooo nervous that I'm forgetting something very very important.

1. It's all paid including tips

2. Hotel booked thru Hotwire

3. Flying in the day before...I keep repeatedly checking the airlines and everything seems "fine". We didn't pre-reserve our seats on AirTran but it said we didn't need to...(I hate the principal:mad: of paying for a seat I've already paid for)

4. I have my OLD ID just in case since my son's name is different.

5. Luggage tags received

6. All Passports ready to go

7. 2 excursions booked and paid (Don't really want to bother with an excursion in Nassau)

8. Shows reserved

9. No dining reservations made. I really don't know what I want or even IF I want. There's plenty of "FREE" food...hubby doesn't want to be more confined than we already are (regarding booking the shows).

10. Haven't booked flowrider lessons...I'm really not sure if I want them. They seem to have changed in regards to their worth.

11. Filled out all waivers

12. Filled out the on-line check-in and printed

13. Printed SeaPass

:eek: Is there something important I'm missing.

I'll bring a nice dress for formal night but the rest of the nights they'll probably see me in blue jeans because I'm going to try to NOT take a lot of luggage.

4. I have my OLD ID just in case since my son's name is different.

Just a heads up in case it applies but if there is another parent (such as father different from husband) involved who is not going with then check out the requirements for having a notarized letter of premission for your son. Regulations on children traveling are very strict and without jumping through the right hoops it can be a show stopper. :( Just having old ID may not be sufficient especially if it does not match passport.

Passports are good...My son's father passed away 10 years ago so it's just me (my son's going to be 16), when we've traveled on Carnival they haven't really asked any questions.

Not real sure what to do about transport. Since it's only the three of us I was thinking to just take a cab. You don't have to reserve those do you? I was thinking a cab would be the most efficient.

Passports are good...My son's father passed away 10 years ago so it's just me (my son's going to be 16), when we've traveled on Carnival they haven't really asked any questions.

Not real sure what to do about transport. Since it's only the three of us I was thinking to just take a cab. You don't have to reserve those do you? I was thinking a cab would be the most efficient.

You need to be able to prove your son is yours so bring his birth certificate. You should also bring his father's death certificate in place of a letter of authorization.

RCL can be strict when it comes to parental authorization and other times they don't ask at all. Either way, they do state on their website that they will deny boarding without proper permision so I wouldn't risk it.

You didn't say what cruise you are on and where you are flying to. But yes, cabs can work well, especialyl if the hotel involved doesn't provide shuttles. And no, you don't have to reserve a cab at an airport. Just go to the cab stand/line. From a hotel. you might have to.. Kinda depends on the type/location of the hotel.

Since I re-define the notion of absent-minded, just a few things I have forgotten on one or another past cruise: sunglasses, Tivas (water sandals), backup pair of glasses (yes, rolled over them when I fell asleep on a lounge chair), laundry bag (not for the laundry - to segregate used clothing), business cards (they have my address, etc), waterproof watch.

Since I re-define the notion of absent-minded, just a few things I have forgotten on one or another past cruise: sunglasses, Tivas (water sandals), backup pair of glasses (yes, rolled over them when I fell asleep on a lounge chair), laundry bag (not for the laundry - to segregate used clothing), business cards (they have my address, etc), waterproof watch.

Oh my...My hubby was guilty of the sunglass incident last cruise too. SIGH...he just bought an expensive pair too...:rolleyes:

Oh...good thought...I did forget about that.

ok I am a novice when it comes to traveling, but why would they put a hold on your account? I have been on a couple of cruises but the ship doesn't "run" your card until last day, or what I thought?

If you start making transactions in a different state from home and/or in foreign ports most major credit card companies will freeze your account to prevent fraud. They will generally call you when this happens, if you have your phone turned on and with you that is.

The best, but not fool-proof, way to do it is to file travel plans with your company for the dates of travel so they know to expect the possibility of charges and that they are probably legitimate.

ok I am a novice when it comes to traveling, but why would they put a hold on your account? I have been on a couple of cruises but the ship doesn't "run" your card until last day, or what I thought?

I forgot to call one of my card companies once... flew from Eastern Canada (used it for something in the airport) through Toronto (bought lunch on it) to LAX (handed it to the Budget car rental chick...DECLINED for potential fraudulent usage)

Ended up having to call and explain why it was being swiped in 3 different places in 2 different countries on opposite sides of the map all within an 8 hr time frame... embarrassing especially when there was about 30 people behind me in the lineup :(

I always call my credit cards and my debit card prior to leaving on a trip. I made a purchase of jewelry and I still had to call. It is better safe than sorry. Also note that some countries are considered very high in fraudulent charges and the credit card company will automatically put a hold on it.

I know get a text message on my phone from the credit card companies asking did I make this purchase and if not then call. I just had to close out an account due to 2 purchases that I did not make. I was happy that they texted me.

I forgot to mention that I have seen them turn away people walking into the dining room on fancy nights that were in jeans.

UGH...I bringing a dress and a skirt and the boys are bringing a pair of dress slacks and a couple of shirts...but I hate hate hate dressing up...:(. Usually after dinner the shoes come off and I FLY to my room to get out of the clothes. But..there's only a couple of nights...I will conform or not go that night. It's just more junk to pack. I'm trying really really REALLY hard to pack light so I don't have to pay for luggage when flying. I do understand...I just hate dressing up...but I don't mind putting on a pair of nice jeans and a nice top...I know on Carnival I haven't seen anyone in "jeans" turned away but it IS frowned upon (on fancy nights any other time it's fine).

They "can". Most credit card companies want your charges...They "may" block the charges permanetly or temporarily till they realize you are likely to be traveling. It depends on the company. I've used one in particular for traveling and they've been fine. I've called when we go out of the country once...but I forgot last time. It's just a good "practice"...that way you have nothing to worry about. But you're correct that the "ship" doesn't run your card till the last day...they also consolidate all your charges in one bill...so it's not going to matter.. Credit card companies are going to be FINE with THAT charge but...the "problem" "may" face is IF you use your card in "ports"...you may face a block...depending on your card you may also incure a "international" fee...I know my company just announced they're not charging any international fees. "Too cool"...but I've never seen a fee anyway. Whatever.

Leave your wine at home. Not allowed to carry on like with Carnival. You'll have a great time. :)

Yep. That's a bit of a bummer...but we're not THAT big of wine drinkers anyway. We "like it" I enjoy a glass or two on the balcony...but...leaving it won't kill us. Alas...there "appears" to be so much to do on the OASIS that I don't see myself having much time for the balcony.

Just my experience .... When we sailed Carnival we were shocked at how many people we saw wearing jeans to dinner. We are not use to that on Royal Caribbean. I'm not saying it offended me by any means, I was just shocked because we were use to dress pants or for ladies a nice pair of capris! You will see very few jeans on a Royal Caribbean cruise unless it is on the Alaskan route!

ME. You're missing ME :p

J/K- As someone mentioned- I am a HUGE fan of the pop-up hamper. Travels easy in the suit case, and I set it up in the closet, so I can store my suitcases and just dump the dirties in periodically depending on lenght of the cruise. Don't forget your sun block and for heaven's sake- don't put any liquids in the carryon. I put my sunblock/bathing suit and whatever I might need in my regular luggage for flight, but pull it out before handing it over to RCL so I don't have to wait for it.

Have fun!!

We just returned from our TA and notified our Credit Card Companies and Bank to let them know where we would be traveling and the dates we were gone. I didn't see Cameras, extra batteries and recharging accessories. Oh binoculars can come in handy.

The refrigerator will have drinks in them, to avoid being charged for them accidently, ask your room Steward to please remove them and sticky notes come in handy for any requests for your room steward.

Anything you wish to have upon boarding put in your carry on as you may not get your luggage until the afternoon. Have a great time.

Archived