Gem 10/30/11 review-Bermuda(Very Long-I'm a Writer)

DrFootball

Day 1: (pt 1)

This is going to be a long review as I write a lot these days so let me introduce myself. I’m Bill, and this is my wife Annrose. We are married 6 years and together over 10. This is us at a friend’s wedding in 2005. I’m retired from Teaching & coaching Football (26 years,) and the U.S. Army (11+ years), both due to medical issues. Together we run a Sports Media business (Football Reporters Online) with a few websites and 3 Internet radio shows that are getting very popular. Very shortly we will become part of the “Clear Channel Radio” family through its “iHeart radio” app. I also contribute to several sports talk shows both on the Internet and in broadcast/ sat. radio. Annrose shoots our photos at football games & practices and related charity events. She also has a day job in Marketing for a Large NYC area cable company.

I’m always tense and have difficulty sleeping before any big event, and I have trouble sleeping anyway due to chronic pain issues, so I only got about 2.5 hrs of sleep before leaving on this trip. At least we weren’t packing last minute (the morning of!) but we were doing some packing (and spending time on The CC Boards!) until 1 am! After falling asleep in the “Heated Massage chair, I must have done another post about 4 am confirming a few last minute folks for the M&G, as this was also my first time organizing a M&G. So we were up again about 6:30 am to get ready for our 8:30 pick up from our car service. Our driver (Ira) arrived 15 minutes early! He was very helpful with our bags (We Over Packed Waaay too much stuff-Lesson Learned). Once we were packed into his Town Car it was off we go…

We had no traffic what so ever on the LIE (Long Island Expressway) and Annrose was glad she took the bonine and put on one of her sea bands right away…She gets motion sickness unless she’s driving! We noshed a bit on some trail mix and made conversation with Ira, mostly about sports, then we realized we were though the Queens Midtown tunnel and on Manhattans ‘ east side VERY quickly and very early!

At 9:33 am we were pulling up to the drop off area at the pier, and we realized that the Ship had JUST come in (they we still tying her off-later we would find out why)

After unloading our stuff-which took up an entire luggage cart (I did say we over packed, right?) a Porter loaded all our checked bags, plus our 12 bottles of water, 6 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper, & 2 ltr. Diet Snapple & 2ltr. Diet mist, boxed up and tagged, and we headed upstairs into the terminal and met our first NCL rep, Karen, who had my name on the list as “disabled assistance” & “VIP”(would also find that out later as well) “your first folks” she said (and here comes the first sign of trouble) “but no one has disembarked yet, because the GEM was 2 and a half hours late docking because of a rescue at sea yesterday”

SO we were directed to the waiting area seating and got comfortable because we expected there to be an extended wait now. I organized some junk in my travel manpurse, put on my skull candy headphones, and jammed some classic YES on my iPod Touch( the “symphonic” tour live album) While Annrose tried to get a Wi-Fi signal with her iPad. When that was impossible I turned on our 3G/4G Hotspot for her so she could surf a bit, and she checked in on the “Puppie Spa” cam to see how MO was doing (Shlomo our 4 legged son, a Bulldog). We were both having some separation angst, as this was the first long trip we were doing since he became part of our family, and this would be the longest we would be away from him.

752266606_BillAnnrose@jHosweddingcopy.jpg.3ec21d48be61d6302130945cf63ec36c.jpg

As more folks started arriving for the sailing, the waiting area, and our little disability section got more crowded. After finishing the trail mix, an apple and two cans of diet coke from the vending machine. It was now 11:30. Folks began to disembark at 11:05, but we were told our Embarkation would be delayed at least 30 minutes, but we would sail on time! Another NCL Pier rep. told us “you will be first, and since you are also a VIP you will be among the first to board, as soon as the Wheelchairs assistance folks are done disembarking the returning passengers”

12 Noon passed, and then 12:30…still no word on when we’d begin.

At 12:45 Embarkation began, but still no word on when I would be assisted. I was beginning to wish I had just “Nutted Up” and walked onboard on my own…Annrose was getting more angry by the moment at the delay, esp. since before I could eat anything on board I’d have to take a dose of one of my injection meds (Byetta).

At 1:30 Mount Hurachi Blew her top (Annrose lost it on one of the pier reps.!)

Finally, at 1:45 we were told “the Assistance folks are disembarked the last wheelchair passenger from the last sailing and they will be here to help you board"..

In 5 minutes! Really? Finally a young man arrives with a wheel chair that was Impossibly too small(leg supports too short) for me, but at this point, I wanted to get onboard by the time the ship sailed out! After a few minutes Annrose found it impossible to handle all out stuff together while I was being pushed(which I refused to let him push me by himself-I assisted!) so a second person was brought in to help out with our stuff while Annrose got our Key cards. Almost on board but not before the first of our Roll Call Members found me and introduced themselves.

“Are you Dr. Football?”, and instead of one of my smart replies, I just answered “yeah” “I’m Sheldon & this is Scott.” It was a pleasure, and little did I know that we’d get close during the cruise. Two Solid guys (brothers-in-law)! Finally we were up the Gangplank and onto the ship. We hung a right had turn through the atrium and to the Mid-ship elevators. A quick ride from deck 7 to deck 10 and we were at our cabin! Even before I got out of the Chair we’d meet the young man who would be of constant assistance to us over the next 7 days “Hello Dr. William, I am Ali your steward” When I say it was a pleasure to meet someone, Ali would prove to be worth his weight in Sea Bands! “ Please, you tell me anything you need and I will get it for you!” I’m not used to that as I spent the course of two careers doing for others.

Finally we got our carry on stuff stowed and I had my med-shot. It was time for lunch! We headed up to the Garden café on Deck 12 since we’d be doing our CC Informal sail away at the “Great Outdoors”. After a brief bit of frustration finding a seat we went into La Cuccina and got a table overlooking the next pier. Annrose grabbed some food and had her first encounter with a certain group of travelers who always seem to be rude to everyone else around them. I called our bank to let them know we’d be travelling out of country so to expect a few weird charges to our cards (something I forgot to do before we left). Had a quick txt exchange with one of my sports writing partners who was covering the Giants game, and I chowed down on a burger & some grilled chicken breasts with some garden salad. DW was still trying to calm down from the tumult of our boarding issues. I got her calmed down when we went over to the spa to get our passes for the week, and she made an appt. for a “Manny & Peddi” for Monday afternoon!

If I only have one Major complaint from this trip, it’s how the pier staff dealt with the situation(of delayed embarkation) and didn’t keep us informed enough as to when we’d be assisted onboard. True, I understand why the ship was late docking, but we were told to get there before 11am to guarantee an early boarding with assistance. We were there almost 4 hours. Had I known the ship was late docking I’d have treated Annrose, & our driver Ira & myself to breakfast.

Since we had taken our cameras with us to eat, we were out until after sail away, so we had to head down to the Grand Pacific for the Muster drill. Now when I tell you that I know how to don a life Jacket/Vest, it’s because not only have I been on 5 other cruises, I spent 11+ years in the military as an aviator. But we were comfortable, and got a look at the GP-MDR. While seated at the table, 2 more CC’ers introduced themselves to us, and while we started chatting, the 3rd couple at our table said “we should follow you four all week since you must be experts!”

Then It was back to Deck 12 and the great outdoors for sail out! I expected no issues with folks finding us, as I was distinctively attired. I was not disappointed as one by one everyone met us, and I already had met Scott & Sheldon downstairs. We all chatted a bit that then the ship began to move! We were sailing out! It was getting a bit chilly, even though I had a “heavy” sweater (one of my Army “Wooly Pullies”) on, so we said our goodbyes until the M&G to head downstairs to watch Brooklyn slip by from our balcony. It was great to finally meet our fellow CC’ers from our roll call.

We had decided that we needed some quiet time away from crowds (after all this is why we were cruising, Annrose needed a break from the pace of her day job), so we booked the Italian rest. for dinner that first night. We were not disappointed in the least. The service was impeccable and the food was amazing, and we’re sort of foodies so it’s sometimes hard to please us. I had the Chicken cutlet parm. with pasta & red sauce, we had the meatballs plus we had the Chicken Pizza in between our salads and entrees. We couldn’t finish it all! I floated out of there and back to our cabin for a restful sleep the fist night at sea. We had already received our luggage, our Liquids & our wine was delivered all before dinner! But now there was another knock at our door. It was a special delivery of sweets with our “VIP” welcome letter from David, the concierge, inviting us to the VIP reception Monday night, among other things…

All in all a great first night at sea, even if the start was rocky that afternoon, it could only get better, and it already had improved!

This was only our second cruise together, but we were experienced travelers, and had done cruises before we had met in 2001. We were already excited about this cruise and happy it was finally underway........

(I will Get Some more posted later-Prob start on day 2 and the M&G)

Bill(DrFootball)

"I thought that they were angels, much to my surprise, we climbed aboard that Starship, we headed for the skies"….Dennis De Young, former Keyboard player/Singer of STYX-from the song "come sail away"

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

912814961_Sail-outWCCers1.jpg.6c1bccef4c169789ca9ad13f648695e1.jpg

189052474_Sailout2.jpg.37b09ee83701f72c682cf02652a6291f.jpg

874257500_PassingLadyLiberty2.jpg.ae388e7f5ad840f143c3d5ded5334c26.jpg

1360657783_Libertyaft.jpg.f26617775b5e4d7a72c67170fb341436.jpg

708046702_ByeBYEBrooklynPilot.jpg.1c9ee438dbff1a02048113ce512f2ac2.jpg

BYEBYE2.jpg.606df7f7c8beba7b15910e515d35990d.jpg

713292789_LadyLibertyII.jpg.3a5b851b4afd58f026b86d2445d380bc.jpg

To you Both! More to follow after dinner(funny, no one is saying Washy Washy Happy Happy here!)

Bill(DrFootball)

"Air Assault! The Ride of your LIFE, First In-LAST OUT!"

Dr. F - I was so awaiting your review! Sorry about the awful embarkation. David was a fabulous concierge - hope you enjoyed him! Can't wait to read more :)

Thanks for the encouragement. Although I'm writing a very long time, I've never written anything travel related, so I hope everyone "bears" with me if I get overly descriptive....I learned attention to detail being the son of a Career Soldier & Cop(federal)...

More shortly...

Bill(DrFootball)

"how MANY Medals is THAT now?" "8 Dad" "EIGHT? Didn't I tell you not to be a hero?" "Yes Sir, but I was just doing my job" "And THAT job is to bring you A$$ home in one piece BOY! Not to get it shot off" You Want your mother and I to have to put a Flag in a box on the wall? I already Gave her enough to worry about in two Wars, so you have to go be Jr. All-American hero"

-Sgt. Maj. Alvin H.C.(My Father) to me at my Hospital bedside In Walter Reed-Nov. 1983-Just before "his Retirement" from the Army after 35 years

Day two: Part One: the M&G……

Today we finally got to finish putting the names to the faces of all of you from our roll call! Again, it was a BLAST meeting everyone, and I thank you all for the kind words. It’s good to be part of a “community” of folks who enjoy how they vacation, and I admire some many of you who have been able to take so many cruises. Now that I’m retired and we’re re-locating next year, Annrose & I hope to cruise every18 months or so, with the next one being Alaska in “13”, but onto finishing the review of this cruise…

We woke up not to the sound of an alarm on my iPod, but the sound of the balcony door sliding open and closed at 6am! Not that the sea was rough(not yet), but we had not locked the door, so it was sliding. I had my first experience with the shower( the bathroom was smaller then I remembered on Carnival’s balcony rooms). Which thanks to the requested shower stool was more the manageable. I loved the shower head’s ability to “flex.” Now the “toilet compartment” was a bit tight, but we managed.

We had unpacked last night before bed to work off some of dinner, and even though it was still a bit chilly we enjoyed some time on our balcony looking at the sea. Did I mention I over packed? 12 t-Shirts, 2 sleep shirts, 2 dress long sleeve shirts, 5 casual pullovers, 5 pr. of slacks, 5 pr. of shorts, 2 pr of swim trunks, 2 pr. of sneakers, a pr of dressy shoes, a pr. of “Water” shoes, & a Pr of Nike Sandals….(which I never wore!) 2 sweat shirts, 2 suit jackets, my gray sport coat……Ok you get the picture…never again will I bring so much on a cruise, even if I’m in a full suite!

So this morning I was going to try and get to walk deck 7 at least once around, briskly, even though I had just taken the brace off my foot last night. That didn’t quite work out, as I had not gotten off the elevator and gotten but a few steps when my cell phone started buzzing a TXT message-DW was txting, letting me know that I needed to get back upstairs before I hurt my ankle again…. Ok so I made it half way around and went back upstairs. So we hung out a bit playing with the tv, reading the freestyle, and getting ready for the M&G…

10:45 came quickly, and we left the cabin to head down to the Bliss. As we walked up the slight slope to go into bliss I saw a Crew’s officer (female) wearing a Witch hat! Enter Cherry, our group coordinator! After we exchanged greetings, she asked me ”are you really expecting 90 People?” “if everyone shows up, I said…

So again, thanks to all of you who made it and I’m sorry for those of you who couldn’t…

I met Johnny “cash” Sanchez, our CD, and told him “Sinan says you are excellent” we exchanged a few more pleasantries and I found a seat near the front of the room (back) with some fellow CC’ers. Johnny took his cue from Cherry and introduced the ships senior officers, then surprised me by introducing me and asking me for a few words. Now being an ex-teacher and current sports radio personality I’m never out of words, but I was caught a bit off guard. You were all a great group however, and again, I’m glad I got to meet so many of you!(see photos)

Bill(DrFootball)

“We’re here to put a dent in the universe. Otherwise why else even be here?”—Steve Jobs

1751281263_MG1.jpg.36bea1d40de8d5b87b570e2b1c76248a.jpg

539417148_MeJohnny.jpg.5e9fe0e8bda59fb9c9373bc6026c9611.jpg

DSC_3653.jpg.406b5df66a1a9c5c19b4d1cb23272e5d.jpg

DSC_3655.jpg.c4c650b2b68a00618e3bb0ce1d6bdf21.jpg

DSC_3657.jpg.408dd9d2820a7a3c8feada92a31ed033.jpg

DSC_3703.jpg.918b1d6fa001d9cfdefe32e467fd6bdd.jpg

1610659026_HeresJohnny!.jpg.a018827b2a8a3f56f2b285389f2e3379.jpg

*grin* Enjoying your review, DrFootball. :) Keep up the excellent descriptions!

One quick question... you watched the sailaway from your port or starboard balcony? I'm checking to make sure I booked the correct side of the Pearl when we do this itinerary in less than a year.

Thanks in advance!

I too have been looking forward to reading this! Dr.Football, you do not disappoint! I was laughing out loud at all the luggage descriptions. I guess we forgot to tell you about taking 1/2 of what you plan for when sailing NCL! ;)

Looking forward to reading more...as I am enjoying it very much!

coka

Part Two: Lunch & the Mandara Spa:

It was time for lunch, since we missed breakfast! It was the only meal we’d miss on the entire trip. We decided to do the Main DR for lunch, and again, got to meet some great fellow Cruisers from near & far, including one in a “motorized” chair (I know with my pain I’m headed in that direction!) who had his “Therapy“ Dog Tucci with him. (see below) Now I’m a sucker for a cute dog, and we were missing MO a great deal right now. “Tucci” is a Part Sharpei & Part Bassett Hound!! After playing with her a bit I sanitized my hands with my own stuff from Bed Bath & Beyond (washy washy) and had a nice Angus burger and some onion rings. At this time I Met “Dan” and his wife from Utah, and he commented on my Dog tags (I wear 3 of them: a Medic alert tag that tells people I’m a diabetic, a “Vanity” tag with my dates of active duty service, unit assignment and last rank held, and one from “Fisher house” a support program for today’s wounded warriors that assists with vets recuperating and getting them family time where i sometimes volunteer) he told me he was with the 101st Division (The Screaming Eagles!) and we had a Home Base in common-Ft. Campbell Kentucky! I was stationed there from 1/82 to 4/84…

It was time for Annrose and I to get upstairs for her “spa consult” and for me to get on one of those “hot stone Loungers” I had heard about…

Anyone who desires some time away from the crowds on the pool deck, or has or needs to “self treat” their aches and pains, this is your place!! I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep up with my Walking & Lifting Plan without the spa visits, so one of our first things we did was get the spa passes, and we used it almost every day! It's well worth the cost(119 per person)

Well I was not to get a hot chair today, as the place was Packed!!! I did get a regular lounger and plugged into some smooth Jazz fusion (Stanley Clarke-the journey home) on my iPod and fell asleep watching the ocean from over the bridge!

The next thing I know Annrose is shaking me awake. She moved her Manni & Pedi to tomorrow so it would be “fresh” for Bermuda, but she had had her “color consult”

and had bought about 180 bux worth of “stuff.” Ok, I can’t get mad, we’re on vacation. But she offered to put back some of the Cash on our OBC…

After we went downstairs to address an internet issue, add some more funds to our account and proceed to buy a few fossil watches, we went upstairs to get ready for the VIP reception.

Bill(DrFootball)

"You Know, nice beach, plenty of sun, it would almost be a nice place to visit…" "Almost" "You don't think we should be here?" "Know What I think? What I think doesn't really matter much, Once that first round goes past your head politics and all that crap goes right out the window" "I just want to do it right today" "then just watch your corner and get all your men back here alive"-Delta Force Sgt. 1st class Norman "Paul" Houten to Ranger Staff Sgt. Matt Eversman before the battle of Mogadishu…10/4/93-as seen in BLACKHAWK DOWN

DSC_3740.jpg.9bb4b42340f56145bb4e71f53d6214c4.jpg

DSC_3753.jpg.a520d4519a55ebe7f409500fc40a0267.jpg

*grin* Enjoying your review, DrFootball. :) Keep up the excellent descriptions!

One quick question... you watched the sailaway from your port or starboard balcony? I'm checking to make sure I booked the correct side of the Pearl when we do this itinerary in less than a year.

Thanks in advance!

LS: we did the first part at the "Great Outdoors" with our fellow CC'ers and the rest of it on our Balcony Port-side-Mid-aft on Deck 10, which is where the "distant" pic of Brooklyn was taken by DW...

Bill(DrFootball)

"Forget about your troubles folks, It's all about Good Rock & Roll, Frying Tires, and Football…" Coach Jerry Glanville

I too have been looking forward to reading this! Dr.Football, you do not disappoint! I was laughing out loud at all the luggage descriptions. I guess we forgot to tell you about taking 1/2 of what you plan for when sailing NCL! ;)

Looking forward to reading more...as I am enjoying it very much!

coka

Thanks Coka. The praise from folks like you and Jim (CC/NCL CRUISING Royalty Imho) is very kind of you both. I can't tell you how much I excluded from my packing on Saturday night before sail away. Still, we each had a large Roller, shared a suit bag, and had just too much stuff...we even cut back the "tech" stuff, but we still packed for a road trip instead of a cruise, now we know better!

Bill(DrFootball)

"Uncle Bill, what did you do in the Army?" " Joe, you know I was a Pilot" "but what ELSE did you do?" "Joe, I had to do some bad things to some very bad people" "G-d will forgive you Uncle Bill" "Joe,..even if G-d does forgive me, I have a hard time forgiving myself"

How did Annrose like her color consult? Did she get her hair done? Did she have Rico do it? I love Rico! He is the best! :D

Looking forward to you VIP party review!

coka

A South African Lady Did her Hair! She had had it cut about 2 weeks before we left, so she just had her style it....She told her what I had been telling her for 2 years! (To add back some of the "Cherry" highlights....)

Bill(DrFootball)

"Any Day spent above ground and Breathing is a good day" My Grandmother Dorothy Weiss(R.I.P-B.1900-D.1994)

Part three: The VIP reception, a few too many “Rum Punch’s” & Dinner at Magenta

Well after the Spa I needed a “real” nap, so we headed back to our cabin to find the next in a series of “VIP Sample” plates…

(For those of you waiting for the “food Porn pics” sorry to disappoint. I don’t take pics of food. I never liked doing it as a catering teacher. DW took a few shots of the “Chocolate Buffet” but she had difficulty with the camera on her “crackberry.” We’ll be getting iPhones as soon as our carrier allows us to get them without paying 700 bucks a pop!)

So, I’m beginning to like this “VIP” stuff. We got ready for the evening. I put on one of my Linen suits, but left our Hol. Costumes laid out on the bed. We were going to go as “60’s Hippies” but after the VIP party & dinner we conked out! The Rum Punch was flowing at the VIP reception in the “cort yard”, and we met many more fine folk, and CC Roll callers BEN & JERRY attended as well. I got to met the captain and personally present him with my “Gift” to the mermaid. After explaining to him the WHY, he said “are you sure you want to give this to us?” “Yes Sir” I said! “Ok, I’ll make sure she gets it!” I also had a nice conversation with David, the Concierge. Several folk were asking Annrose about her Nikon Camera, and we found a few other “pro” photogs on board as well with Nikons later in the Cruise. We sat at one of the few tables in the cort yard area as the Ship was "rocking" a bit and my balance isn't too good these days without booze of any type. at our table we met "Rich & Mary" 4th time NCL cruisers who were, Like Annrose & I, on their second marriage. He was a Former Cop in Westchester and she was one of the first female conductors on the Metro North railroad, and now was a director of the east side access project to bring the LIRR into Grand Central Station. Too Bad the Party only lasted 45 minutes. After about my second and Annrose’s 4th rum punch we decided it was time to hit the dining room. Going down on the Elevator another fine gentleman introduced himself and thanked me for my service, and I thanked him as well for his.

Until a few years ago I was never one of these “Loud & Proud “ types of Vets. I preferred the “Quiet Professional” mindset of the “special operator” which I was for 27 months of my service. But one of the last things my father in law told me before he passed in 2006 was “not to be ashamed” of what I did for my country. Joe was a Combat Eng. In the Korean War and then had a 30 Yr. run as a NYC Transit Cop, retiring as a LT. in 1982. He was deeply involved in Veterans affairs on Long Island and helped get the Vets Memorial built in Eisenhower Park in his role as a VFW post commander. Joe encouraged me to fight for my rightful benefits, and to help others do the same. He is one of the main reasons I’m writing my book. I wear my “Mini-Medals" on the left lapel of all my suits & sportcoats for the same reason I wear my Dog Tags, so people don’t forget that “all Gave some, but some Gave all.” Joe was like a second father to me, even though I wasn't his son, but his son-in-law.

So now we head down to Magenta, and we are seated at a “table for 4” that quickly was made a “table for 2” next to a window, as we watched the waves dance in the light of the dining room. We meet another fine gentleman among the waitstaff named Ernest, who took great care of us and after our conversation about “rum Punch” (Ernest was Jamacian and he told Us he was going to make Annrose a Real RUM PUNCH) he made Annrose probably the best rum punch she ever had. It had to be because Annrose fell asleep on the Elevator back to our room! Earnest also got an "extra" show of our thanks, & a Style Card!

As we were leaving Mangenta another Cruiser stopped me to enquire as to my service. The catch phrase of every Vet My Age or older is "what's your MOS(Military Occupational Specialty) & Where did you serve" He had been a "Big Gunner", an artillery man. We shook hands and I offered to buy him a "beverage" if we met up again.

So much for “the Spooky Partying,” Annrose fell out and I enjoyed a rare “cigarillo” on the balcony looking at the deep black sky instead of a "Blackbeard's ghost" at one of the bars!

More tomorrow(later today), even though I have to get back to working on sports stuff..

Bill(DrFootball)

This Medal is awarded to the Aviator who has “distinguished himself by Heroism, Gallantry or Extraordinary Achievement while participating in aerial flight.” - The Army Distinguished Flying Cross

great review!!! we are on the gem in 2 weeks,I have 1 question if you dont mind. 1- you mentioned when you got to the peir the porter took your soda and water,no mention of wine there, later you said it arrived. Did the porter take your wine too, or did you have to carry it to pay the fee?

great review!!! we are on the gem in 2 weeks,I have 1 question if you dont mind. 1- you mentioned when you got to the peir the porter took your soda and water,no mention of wine there, later you said it arrived. Did the porter take your wine too, or did you have to carry it to pay the fee?

Marty(& Deb)-We had to carry it in, and they gave us a receipt, but did not actually "Charge" us until the 5th day of the trip, and it showed up as a charge in the MDR...They did affix the sticker tho, and when I chose to bring one of the gift bottles with no Sticker that wasn't a problem either as it was "in the system" as being a gift to us. These Norweigans,..very efficent!

(we carried ours in a re-usable "target" small shopping bag with bottom, and bubble wrapped them, since we never bring more then one bottle to a friends' place for dinner, we don't have one of these fancy carriers everyone talks about.....)

Bill(DrFootball)

"Hooah! it's an Army Thing"

Day Three- Second Sea Day-Another “Great” Breakfast-a back pain solutions seminar and back to the spa after a weight lifting session….

I was back into my “2-3 hour at a time” sleep routine, and I even dozed off in the “head” once, according to my watch it was about 15 mins. We woke and dressed later this morning, after 8 because after all, we’re on vacation! I had marked off three things I wanted to do in the freestyle today, but the most important to me was the Back pain solutions seminar with Joana, the Spa’s On-board acupuncturist.

Believe me when I tell you there are days, and there are days when I can’t move, and I’m lucky to get to my desk here to take e-mails and phone calls. Although I have a very good chiropractor (one of the best on Long Island) and good pain management folks & ortho’s, my condition is degenerative. So I’m ready to try anything once to see if it helps. I wasn’t going to treat with her on-board, as I didn’t want to be stuck in bed the rest of the cruise, but if she could help me with a plan of action, it was worth the 30 minutes. I was surprised that there were almost 20 of us there, but I was not surprised that I was the youngest. Although she had a little trouble communicating because she is not a native English speaker (she’s from Portugal) her presentation was very helpful for the novice and I even learned a few things I didn’t know. After her talk we spoke aside for a few minutes, and I made her a bit more comfortable by speaking Spanish with her. Later that day she gave me a private consult and I now have some things to take back to my Chiro for him to help me find the right additional assistance.

Oh, I forgot Breakfast! Another great Garden Café special! I had the 3 egg omlet with onions, mushrooms & cheese + tomatoes, some corned beef hash, and NO Bread!

I was also on the iced tea kick, and was drinking about 3 glasses with breakfast.

By now I had re-joined up with DW, as she was going to have her Mani & Pedi and meet me in the Spa therapy area afterwards. But first I was headed into the fitness center for my 2x weekly Biking & Lifting. I saw the 3 recumbent Bikes and no one using them! So I got on, plugged in(some Bon Jovi-Lost Highway) and started pushing, and before you know it I was past my 15 minutes, all the way out to 21 Minutes! Next It was the Incline Bench with the 10 & 15 pound dumbells for another 30 minutes. Now I was “tight” so I crossed the deck to the Spa.

Today I had more time to wait for my chance at a hot stone lounger, and after my first “dip” of 20 minutes in the therapy Pool I snagged one! After the 15-20 suggested minutes ,not the hour plus that some folks who ”take advantage” do (Chair hogs even in the spa folks!), I moved over to a regular lounger and got into my latest paperback (Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrel’s “Lone Survivor”). After her session Annrose found me and we went back to “the Garden” for lunch. I swear a Cruise vacation makes you want to EAT every two hours!

We missed the Whisky tasting event because we spent the afternoon hanging out in the Garden Café’ with Scott & Sheldon. We talked about so many different things that it’s runs together, but we’re really honored to have met some fine folks on this trip. About this time we encountered a bit of rough seas, but nothing like SATURDAY on the Way home!

We decided on the GP-MDR for tonight, and we got a Window table for two, but not before we had a Glass of our “Blackberry Apple Cider Wine” from B.F Clyde’s of mystic CT., Which Scott tells me he’s close to. Excellent service all around in all the dining venues is one of the hallmark’s of this ship! Everyone is polite, and they take to time and trouble to learn who you are and get to know you. I had the NY Strip, and so did DW.

Afterwards we went out to see the “World Beat” show, which was very good, if a bit short. Again, we had an encounter with a certain “group” of folks who think they have a right to be rude to others as part of their culture. I try to ignore it as much as possible because, hey, we’re on vacation too! After the show, Annrose thought she was going to make a charitable donation at the Casino, but she didn’t get 10 feet in when the smell of cig. smoke overcame her, which I told her it would. So it was back to the Balcony and another VIP sample plate! Here are a few more Photos of the surf DW shot in the afternoon. we were looking for marine life but we had to settle for "breakers" These are shots She took with her "Big" lens, The Sigma "Big Ma" 150-500 Ultra Tele zoom, which on a "DX" camera like her D-90 is actually a 210-700 Range Zoom.

Bill(DrFootball)

"I don't subscribe to coincidence Corporal. I believe that no matter how random things may appear, there is still a plan. Here in the middle of the Mexican Desert, when I needed him the most, I find a fellow Ranger. Now I need your help to save another." Col. John "Hannibal" Smith to Corporal Bosco (B.A.) Baracus…..

DSC_3778.jpg.ebf86c82e6c286bc377bfc0519247716.jpg

DSC_3788.jpg.060ee39ce8dda2ee5e93a661f6207bf8.jpg

DSC_3803.jpg.6f8b8196ed7bcdfd43bc4899915de455.jpg

DSC_3811.jpg.e4acbc17d00db295f29a2adfefa4cec9.jpg

I have to go back to my "real" world of Sports media and broadcast the first of my Three Weekly shows In a few Hours, But I will Psoit day 4 early tomorrow..

Bill(DrFootball)

If you are able to read this, Thank a Teacher(your welcome)! If you are reading this in English, Thank a "soldier"(again, Your Welcome!)

I have to go back to my "real" world of Sports media and broadcast the first of my Three Weekly shows In a few Hours, But I will Psoit day 4 early tomorrow..

Bill(DrFootball)

If you are able to read this, Thank a Teacher(your welcome)! If you are reading this in English, Thank a "soldier"(again, Your Welcome!)

Thanks for sharing your experience on the Gem. Loving your review, your humor and wit. Take your time, we understand some of us have to work to go on these wonderful cruises.:D. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Archived