X??

sollan

The signature "X" displayed on the funnel of Celebrity ships is the Greek letter chi, for "Chandris". Celebrity Cruises was founded in April 1988 as a subsidiary of the Greece-based Chandris Group to operate upmarket cruise ships to Bermuda. Chandris had been involved in cruise traffic since the 1960s, and during the late 1980s the company operated in the United States market under the brand name Chandris Cruises.

My very first cruise was on April 1, 1988 to the Southern Caribbean aboard the MV Azur, a Chandris ship. Too bad I can't garner any Captain Club points for that cruise! :D

The ship was not very glamourous - it was an old bucket of bolts / car ferry turned into a not so classy cruise ship. Boy oh boy, was that a fun cruise. It wasn't until I sailed on a RCCL ship a few years later that I realized the Azur was the bottom of the barrel when it came to cruise ships. Ignorance was bliss back in those days of my cruise ship innocence.

Our first cruise was in May, 1981 on the " Brittanis" which was a Chandris ship. We went from NYC to Bermuda and have been hooked to cruising ever since. That was the best cruise ever as far as service, food and everything else.

We can't get captains club credit for that cruise either.

Happy cruising!

My very first cruise was on April 1, 1988 to the Southern Caribbean aboard the MV Azur, a Chandris ship. Too bad I can't garner any Captain Club points for that cruise! :D

The ship was not very glamourous - it was an old bucket of bolts / car ferry turned into a not so classy cruise ship. Boy oh boy, was that a fun cruise. It wasn't until I sailed on a RCCL ship a few years later that I realized the Azur was the bottom of the barrel when it came to cruise ships. Ignorance was bliss back in those days of my cruise ship innocence.

The Azur (as you can see in my signature!) was my first cruise. I particularly liked how they converted the car parking area into the never-used squash court! The cabin was so small that we used to step out into the corridor to change our minds and I'm sure the ship used reverse stablizers to maximize the movement. I still have nightmares about the cruise director - I think he was a crazed Muppet come to life.

But ... I had the best time, was blown away by the cleanliness and the food was infinitely better than my following cruises on RCI. Still a great memory.

Signature "X" displayed on the funnel of Celebrity ships is the Greek letter chi for "Chandris". Chandris was the greek founding group.

I do wonder where the "X" i Celibrity Cruises comes from? :confused:

I've wondered the same exact thing and now I know. Thanks for posting this!!!! :D

Our first cruise was in May, 1981 on the " Brittanis" which was a Chandris ship. We went from NYC to Bermuda and have been hooked to cruising ever since. That was the best cruise ever as far as service, food and everything else.

We can't get captains club credit for that cruise either.

Happy cruising!

They used to count the Chandris Cruises in a certain respect. Back in the early 90s when you had to pay for the Captains Club you could use a Chandris cruise as your first cruise. You could then go on a Celebrity ship for the first time and join the Captains Club based upon that previous Chandris cruise. I guess that is long gone or nobody at Celebrity would have any clue what you are talking about. Back then Children could join the CC and now they can't until their 18th birthday.

The Azur (as you can see in my signature!) was my first cruise. I particularly liked how they converted the car parking area into the never-used squash court! The cabin was so small that we used to step out into the corridor to change our minds and I'm sure the ship used reverse stablizers to maximize the movement. I still have nightmares about the cruise director - I think he was a crazed Muppet come to life.

But ... I had the best time, was blown away by the cleanliness and the food was infinitely better than my following cruises on RCI. Still a great memory.

If that was the same cruise director that was on my cruise, I have to agree with you. He was youngish, strawberry blonde, somewhat slight and wiry, had the pep akin to the Energizer bunny and a rather big mouth - his gums never stopped flapping. His energy and behaviour kind of reminded me of Richard Simmons - it was almost exhausting just being in his presence. :D Having said all of that, he was very good at what he did; the ship was small enough he could remember the names of all of us younger cruisers.

I have pleasant memories of my very first cruise and as I mentioned earlier, cruising ignorance was pure bliss for me. :)

My first cruise back in 1970 was aboard the Chandris ship SS Fiorita. It was a converted British ferry weighing in at about 5,000 tonnes.

The cruise my parents booked us on was so popular Chandris laid on another ship SS Fantasia and it shadowed us throughout the week long cruise from Ancona (Italy) to Athens and back via the Corinth Canal.

In those days the baked Alaska's were properly lit during the parade. No fake flames!

Archived