Istanbul DIY with photos

We were in Istanbul on October 25th & 26th 2011, 7am to 2 pm courtesy of Celebrity Equinox, the following is a few helpful pictures & tips, I'm not posting many pictures of the sites, because frankly, I was so in awe of Istanbul, that I really didn't take that many!

Day 1, Tuesday:

We were pulling into the dock in complete darkness, I was up, showered & was done drying hair & dressed a bit before 6. We hit the buffet, which really was not yet crowded. We had the prem. bev. pkg, & so got several water bottles to take off the ship. We were off a couple minutes after 7.

When you exit the ship you can go either to the right or the left. If you go to the left you will end up closer to Galata Bridge, either way you will go through a large building to exit to the street. When you get to the main street, start looking for the tram stops, they are impossible to miss.

The Equinox docked: either direction will get you to an exit building:

istanbuldock.jpg

When you locate a tram stop, you need to buy jetons... (By the way, most of what you want to see is almost always to the left of where you're docked, in other words, when you're going out for the day, the water will be on your left side, when you're returning, it'll be on your right.) The Jetons are 2 TL each. (We bought a small amount of Lira at the airport before we left, about 20 USD worth, then used ATM's in Turkey) It's a simple vending machine, insert your coins or bills, choose how many Jetons you want to buy, & out they come:

jetonmachine-1.jpg

They are red, & easy to distinguish:

jeton.jpg

In order to enter the tram platform, you insert your jeton in the machine to operate the turnstile:

tramstop-1.jpg

tramentry.jpg

If you're going to use the tram alot, there's a card you can buy called an Akbil that will save you money. We discovered that we preferred walking, after that first trip, we only used the tram again late at night to return to the ship, & the next morning to get to Topkapi Palace early.

**The first tram we took, it was early, & we were the only ones at the tram stop. The tram came, stopped, sat there, & took off, we were rather dumbfounded... shortly after we discovered there are buttons you must press to open the doors, there are buttons inside & outside the tram:

buttontoopendoor.jpg

Once you're across the bridge it's very easy to navigate, you can see where you're docked, you can see the Haghia Sophia, all the big landmarks are visible, it'd be very difficult to get lost for long.

There are a few tram stops that will get you in the thick of things, we preferred the Gulhane stop, from there you walk uphill to Sultanahmet. You can also take the actual Sultanahmet stop, which is further, but it seemed to me that you then backtrack.

I'll post more about our day later.

Good for you for taking these photos and posting them. I always mean to, but in the rush of wanting to get where I'm going as quickly as possibly, I usually forget to take pics of the "how to" types of things.

Plus, I'd totally forgotten about the buttons to push for opening the doors. :D

Great pictorial explanation. I would add a couple comments. If you're one of many ships in port that day, you may be docked further down the same line of ships you see in the picture here. In our case we were the 5th ship in the line. In that case, we did not exit thru a building at all. The exit was to the right only as you left the ship which led you out a port entry/exit road to the main street with the trams. At the main street, you still had your choice of going left or right at that point to catch a tram stop. If you went left (toward the bridge) you will be able to pass by several ATMs on the street to get your Turkish Lira for the tram. ATM instructions were available in English. It's only a short walk to the tram station (either direction).

Thanks, everyone!

regarding the line up of ships, I don't think I have a picture, but at one point, we were one of five ships there! They really pack them in, there was us, the Connie, two MSC ships, & another line I didn't recognize. Parallel parking at it's finest:)

Here's a picture from the aft bar of the Constellation, looking back at the line of ships with Istanbul in the background.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102872387685468376028/201110TurkeyGreeceCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPOYxrKR5dGJDA#5674603952994909122

I think that's the Seven Seas Mariner about to dock behind us. That far down the line, we went out the same exit as MeHeartCruising and used the second tram stop on the Galata side, Tophane, which was closer to the ship than Karakoy. We turned left at the main road.

If you want to get out and for a little walk turn right after you exit the cruise ship dock. You can take the tram or walk to the Kabatas station and go down the stairs to the funincular station below which takes you up to Taksim square and then walk downhill along the main shopping street (just follow the crowds) which will eventually lead you to Galata Bridge. It starts out with many trendy, western style shops and in the lower sections it becomes more traditional with a section for electronics, another for musical instruments, side streets for plumbing... You can either walk along the street that follows the shoreline back to the ship or catch the tram again, making a loop for a couple hour excursion.

We took the tram in Istanbul. It was easy to use but very crowded when we were on it. Going back to the boat was an experiance though. I think the one tram was having mechanical problems. We waited at the stop by the Grand Bazaar. Five trams went by in the other direction before the first came by in our direction. The platform was packed so we decided to wait for the next one, there were two more right behind. When the first one started to leave the platform it stopped suddenly and took a few minutes before it got going again. When we got on the second one, we were packed in pretty tight. It might not have bothered us much but we were both very tired after being on our feet for almost seven hours. I attribute most of the crowd to the mechanical problems of the first tram.

Russ

**This is a continuation of the thread that had tram directions**

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1516385

We took the tram to the Gulhane stop, got off, & wandered a bit, up the hill & to the left is an entrance to Gulhane Park, & Topkapi Palace, but as it was Tuesday, the palace wasn't open, we'd have to save it for the next morning... along with the other 10,000 cruisers in port!

We continued up the street, & came to the magnificent area of of Sultanahmet Square, with Haghia Sophia facing the Blue Mosque across what is usually a beautiful green space, but right now is being renovated & was blocked off by temporary fencing.

bluemosque.jpg

It was a bit before 8 now, & the Haghia Sophia didn't open till a bit after 9, so we headed to the Blue Mosque, it's open 24 hours, but you really shouldn't go in during prayer time.

see the arch opening in the left hand corner? visitors enter there, go to the left, up the stairs, take off your shoes, put them in your bag, I covered my head with a scarf, but plenty of ladies did not.

bluemosquecourtyard.jpg

It was built in the early 1600's & was very controversial for having 6 minarets which was supposed to be reserved for Mecca itself. The interior is covered in beautiful blue tiles, hence the name.

blmosquedome.jpg

We were using the DK book, & the Rick Steves' book, but honestly, there are so many tour groups, you can't help but over hear them.

There is no entrance fee, but it's nice to make a little donation on your way out.

We headed toward Haghia Sophia now, it was just before 9, & already there was quite a line, there was a guy offering guided skip the line tours for 5E (it seems that most folks there want euros, not TL, except for the government run sites) Seemed like a great deal, we ended up with 10 total people & our guide, he took us to the front of the line, we paid for our tickets (20 TL) & in we went. Best 5E we ever spent, he was knowledgeable, & gave us a very nice 45 minute tour.

The Haghia Sophia has to be one of the most awe inspiring places I've ever visited, over 1400 years old, with layers of christian & muslim artwork, it's simply stunning!

haghiasophia1-1.jpg

AyaSophia-1.jpg

We headed out, when you exit, walking towards the blue mosque, about 100 feet from the Haghia Sophia there is a restaurant & Hamman to your left, if you go down the stairs to the right of the Hamman building there is a very clean restroom, you pay 1 TL to use it but it's the cleanest restroom:

cleanrestroom.jpg

we snacked on sesame bagel type things (DH really wanted some tea, but couldn't figure out how/where to buy it ) & walked across the street to the Basilica Cistern, it's about a 2 minute walk from the Haghia Sophia.

Built in 532 A.D. by Emperor Justinian, it could hold hundreds of thousands of gallons of water in it's heyday.

BasilicaCistern-1.jpg

there are two medusa head pillars, one facing sideways, the other upside down, there are lots of theories as to why, but no one knows for sure:

MedusaHead.jpg

Next, we walked to the Grand Bazzar, it's about a 10 to 20 minute walk, depending on how often you stop to look at something, there are signs all the way there pointing out the way. You could also take the tram, if you wish.

grandbazar.jpg

gbazzar2.jpg

We were pretty hungry at this point, we walked all the way down, towards the Spice Bazar & ended up at the Galata Bridge, we bought delicious fresh fish sandwiches:

fishsandwich.jpg

Looking across the Golden Horn, that area in the lower right hand corner with the blue tarps is a produce & fish market:

fishmarket.jpg

we crossed the Galata Bridge on foot, watch out for the fisherman!

galatabridge.jpg

We ended up at the fish market: world's happiest cat:

HappyCat.jpg

All day we'd been watching men carry around & deliver little cups of tea, but no money ever changed hands, we assumed it was a pre set delivery service, but DH really, really wanted some of that tea, when he saw an older man with a tray of empty cups, he finally got up the nerve to ask, the man motioned for us to follow, we ended up a few blocks away, up a narrow staircase (sorry mom!) & on a little landing where he had his tiny stove & tea business set up:

staircasechi.jpg

teainhallway-1.jpg

At this point, we were pretty tired, headed back to the ship to rest for an hour or so, before we headed out again for the evening.

AyaSophiaNight-1.jpg

BlueMosqueNight.jpg

We were eating dinner at an outdoor cafe near Sultanmahet, when the muezzin's call came, it was pretty amazing to hear it echoed across the entire city as the sun was setting.

after dinner, we walked around the square & the Hippodrome a bit, took a few more photos & took the tram back to the ship, we hit up the Martini Bar, stayed there too long, & went to bed in anticipation of another very early day.

You're taking me back there with your great pictures. We enjoyed that day there too (same cruise). By late afternoon we were tired and dragging, but we took the funicular up to Taksim Sq and Istiklal Caddesi (big pedestrian only street) to see how the locals spend the evening strolling in the more modern section of the city. That was as interesting as the historical sights.

We were in Istanbul on October 25th & 26th 2011, 7am to 2 pm courtesy of Celebrity Equinox, the following is a few helpful pictures & tips, I'm not posting many pictures of the sites, because frankly, I was so in awe of Istanbul, that I really didn't take that many!

Day 1, Tuesday:

We were pulling into the dock in complete darkness, I was up, showered & was done drying hair & dressed a bit before 6. We hit the buffet, which really was not yet crowded. We had the prem. bev. pkg, & so got several water bottles to take off the ship. We were off a couple minutes after 7.

When you exit the ship you can go either to the right or the left. If you go to the left you will end up closer to Galata Bridge, either way you will go through a large building to exit to the street. When you get to the main street, start looking for the tram stops, they are impossible to miss.

The Equinox docked: either direction will get you to an exit building:

istanbuldock.jpg

When you locate a tram stop, you need to buy jetons... (By the way, most of what you want to see is almost always to the left of where you're docked, in other words, when you're going out for the day, the water will be on your left side, when you're returning, it'll be on your right.) The Jetons are 2 TL each. (We bought a small amount of Lira at the airport before we left, about 20 USD worth, then used ATM's in Turkey) It's a simple vending machine, insert your coins or bills, choose how many Jetons you want to buy, & out they come:

jetonmachine-1.jpg

They are red, & easy to distinguish:

jeton.jpg

In order to enter the tram platform, you insert your jeton in the machine to operate the turnstile:

tramstop-1.jpg

tramentry.jpg

If you're going to use the tram alot, there's a card you can buy called an Akbil that will save you money. We discovered that we preferred walking, after that first trip, we only used the tram again late at night to return to the ship, & the next morning to get to Topkapi Palace early.

**The first tram we took, it was early, & we were the only ones at the tram stop. The tram came, stopped, sat there, & took off, we were rather dumbfounded... shortly after we discovered there are buttons you must press to open the doors, there are buttons inside & outside the tram:

buttontoopendoor.jpg

Once you're across the bridge it's very easy to navigate, you can see where you're docked, you can see the Haghia Sophia, all the big landmarks are visible, it'd be very difficult to get lost for long.

There are a few tram stops that will get you in the thick of things, we preferred the Gulhane stop, from there you walk uphill to Sultanahmet. You can also take the actual Sultanahmet stop, which is further, but it seemed to me that you then backtrack.

I'll post more about our day later.

Thanks for info....will file away for spring Med cruise.

Just a bit more info .....

We used the tram our first trip there with no problem.

On our recent visit (2 weeks ago) we got on the tram to return to the ship on our first day there. It went for about two stops and then stopped. We had heard an announcement about "those going to Kabatas" but didn't pay attention since we were getting off at Kiliki.....

Well it sat there for a bit and everyone got off..... finally two Turkish men looked at us and motioned ---- we were clueless :D

Finally we figured out that this tram was getting ready to go back the way it came...... so we sprinted off !

So remember : take the blue tram when returning to the ship...... the red tram only goes to the stop before the Galata bridge and then goes back towards town.

We never paid attention to the red and blue difference. It would not have been a huge deal ... we would have just gotten off the next stop and gotten on the right one. But it was a lesson learned. We did not have to pay another Jeton just change tracks and trams.

Have fun in Istanbul - it's a great place to visit and the people are so nice and helpful - like the guys on the tram.

...and remember a landmark just before your stop for the ship so you can prepare to get off a crowded tram in advance.

We used a grey colored mosque that was a little before our ship stop but you may use a different stop.

The token machine will display in english if you press the correct button. You can buy more than one token at a time. The display is a little confusing as if you put a 5 lira note in the display will show 2x2 and 1x1. This means you will get two tokens and one lira change.

Also we got caught in the red vs blue tram but everyone was very helpful as it was obvious we were tourists.

Have fun, it is a beautiful city.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the great pictures! About how many TL did you spend per person for entrances etc? Did you pay for lunch in Euro? About how much? I want to be prepared. Thanks!

Hi, you're welcome, & here are some of the entrance fees:

Topkapi Palace (closed Tuesdays) 20TL each

Basilica Cistern: 10 TL each

AyaSofya: 20 TL each, plus 5 E each for guide on site

Blue Mosque ( & other mosques) free, but we put a few lira in the offering box on the way out.. they actually gave us a receipt for it.:)

food from street vendors, usually around 3 to 5 TL each, anytime we were hungry & saw a big line up of folks who were obviously locals, we joined up, it worked out every time!

This is a city where you don't need a huge amount of pocket money if you're willing to eat standing up, or sitting on a wall, like we did.

Most of the vendors in the markets seemed to push for Euros, but they took lira, be sure to keep your lira separate from the Euros, if you get in a hurry you could confuse them. DH did once, when buying a leather hat, the vendor was kind & honest enough to point it out, saving us a good deal of money, most of the folks there were warm, friendly & helpful, Turkey is, in my opinion, a wonderful country.

Jut an additional note:

The harem part of the palace is extra. I believe 15 TL more. We never actually went in that area but it is more $

We found Istanbul very easy (both in 2009 and last month) to do DIY by using the tram and walking. Everything is close together, the people are friendly and the area is clean and safe.

With the money you save by using the tram and visiting the sites yourself, treat yourself to a really nice Turkish lunch (or dinner if overnighting there). There are numerous good restaurants in the area and the food is YUMMY !

Archived