Balcony Divider

mit429

I was recently on the NCL Pearl and booked adjoining balcony staterooms - and was informed by NCL's reservation agent that the door dividing the two balconies could be opened (just like the one between the two rooms).

When I got on board - I was told this was not allowed due to USCG regulations in relation to the Princess Balcony fire. I argued a bit, since we paid extra for these staterooms, in the specific class as they were connecting and where we wanted to be on the ship, but the ship staff refused. They did contact corporate, and a cheap bottle of wine was sent to both staterooms (I assume as consolation), but we were told the balconies would not be opening.

I was dismayed when we pulled up next to the Allure of the seas to find plenty of their balconies opened.

I would understand the necessity of this per "fire/USGC regulations" if the dividers would actually help to stop a fire -- they wouldn't, fire could go under, over, and around them. And the balconies are already sprinklered - so I really do not understand the concern.

Does anyone have any furniture information in regard to this - or NCL's policy?

Some dividers aren't meant to be opened....they would have to be disassembled and can create a hazzard, since there's no way to secure them.

Really, only Oasis/Allure have the opening balcony dividers....the other ship's dividers are bolted in place, or actually part of the hull....

So, I think they made up the "fire" thing....that's just nonsensical!

These changes are pretty recent and are NCL wide. Been posted on here several times. The "new" rules: never open them while under way, can be opened when in port. Other cruise lines may have different rules. I would say if this was a "deal breaker" I would have asked before the cruise or checked online here to see. It's been this way for a while now, maybe 6 months. You got some free wine!;)

Connecting rooms means the rooms have a door between them. Does not mean the balconies are connected. In the past, some stewards would open them, others would not. I think that was part of the the fleet wide decision to keep them closed. I also heard there was an issue or two with them banging around when under way???

• 2 weeks later...

Last year on Celebrity Solstice I went out on my balcony and was surprised to see it open to the room next door. I called and was told the previous cruiser had those adjoining rooms and wanted the balconys open to one large balcony. They sent someone up and put the divider back up while I had lunch.

I guess each cruise line has a different policy.

Archived