This could be way out in left field, buttttt

GinaRz

Phew! Now I understand why everyone in America is to-ing and fro-ing over a passport:o:o As a European I kept thinking what is the big deal:confused: just get one, but that is a really high cost. Over here it cost under $100.

think thats for a family not each and brit passports are £90 ($150) ea

not been £60 ($100)for a while

I know there is a long heated debate about passport books vs. passport cards. Looking at costs, I would much rather spend my money on my cruise. (Thats just my opinion) Now don't laugh, because after all I'm not only a new cruiser, but also a new traveler. If something were to happen at sea, could we potentially take a boat from say a port or something back to the main land and use the passport card?

NO.

a PP card is only good for LAND travel between the US and Mexico/Canada. the original passport is good for all modes of international travel. there would be no options to sail back other than your cruise ship. and it is far more likely you would need to fly back if the situation was so dire you had to disembark the ship.

All together it cost me $480 for 4 passports. I found an application online to create my own passport photos and the post office said they were perfect when I took them in to apply. Thank goodness, cuz that would have cost me another $60..

Wow... I am TOTALLY amazed at the amount of disinformation in this thread. In an effort to not flame any of the posters I would recommend going to the US State Dept website.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Specifically for our family the PP card will work just fine UNLESS we need to travel by AIR back home for some reason. I had the same dilemma as the OP and would prefer to save a bit of money to use on our cruise rather than spend it on a PP book. If we should decide we need a PP book for future travel then we will simply "upgrade" what we already have.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mark

Wow... I am TOTALLY amazed at the amount of disinformation in this thread. In an effort to not flame any of the posters I would recommend going to the US State Dept website.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Specifically for our family the PP card will work just fine UNLESS we need to travel by AIR back home for some reason. I had the same dilemma as the OP and would prefer to save a bit of money to use on our cruise rather than spend it on a PP book. If we should decide we need a PP book for future travel then we will simply "upgrade" what we already have.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mark

I was just about to correct a previous post regarding use of the card for both land and sea passage. Thanks for doing it for me.

In addition to the State Department web site, US Customs & Border Protection has extensive traveler information here and specific information on WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) entry requirements here.

Archived