This could be way out in left field, buttttt

GinaRz

I know there is a long heated debate about passport books vs. passport cards. Looking at costs, I would much rather spend my money on my cruise. (Thats just my opinion) Now don't laugh, because after all I'm not only a new cruiser, but also a new traveler. If something were to happen at sea, could we potentially take a boat from say a port or something back to the main land and use the passport card?

You need to provide more specifics for this question to work. If something happened at sea, say a medical emergency, you would be let off at the next port capable of providing care. If that port were outside the US, and you didn't have a passport, getting back into the US could be very complex. You wouldn't just catch the next ship. Particularly if you were sick or injuried.

A passport is peace of mind. It will, generally, promise you re-entry to the US. A birth certificate won't.

Get a passport book.

The savings is so small it's very hard for me to imagine why anyone would not have full travel privileges and worry how they might get a 'boat' home if something happens to you/your ship. Any guesses how much that might cost if you have to hire a large enough vessel and Captain/crew to transport you?

What a question. :D

[/b]

Being a new traveler is the perfect time to splurge and get the passport book. The card is only good for certain types of travel. Get a passport book and you are all set no matter where you go.

Think of all the future travel you can do in the next 10 years...all made possible because you have a passport book!

I think that's alot of money, especially if you don't plan on doing any travel that REQUIRES a passport. True, it may be a bit of a hassle to come home without a passport, but it's not impossible....the other countries you may visit do NOT want you to stay! You will get home.

It might be possible to obtain sea passage from most Caribbean islands to the US mainland. Depending on your point of departure there would likely be a direct trade off between the length of time it took to return to the US and the cost of doing so.

One problem would likely be that you might not be able to transit through different countries with just the passport card as a passport book might be required for entry. So the option of using fast ferries to island hop would not work.

The passport card was initially conceived for a very specific use - to facilitate travel by citizens who frequently cross land borders, e.g. people living in Detroit and working in Windsor. It works very well for that. It also seems to be a decent replacement for the BC / DL combination on closed-loop cruises. But it is a direct replacement and provides no additional features.

I guess I was thinking more about it something were to happen back home and I needed to get there.

OK, so you have a family emergency back home. You get off the ship in, say, Grand Cayman and book a flight home. You try to get on the plane, and, bingo, you are refused because you don't have a passport. A birth certificate, and, I believe (others will correct me) the passport card, will not get you admitted back to the US.

The adult passports are good for 10 years, so that money covers a long time. Kid passports are good for 5 years. Whether or not you use them again in their life span is totally up to you.

I think that's alot of money, especially if you don't plan on doing any travel that REQUIRES a passport. True, it may be a bit of a hassle to come home without a passport, but it's not impossible....the other countries you may visit do NOT want you to stay! You will get home.

I can't imagine going through the stress of trying to obtain a passport or special permission to fly back to the States during an emergency.

I believe the only folks who are allowed to travel without a u.s. passport book are the folks working for u.s. state dept, military on work orders and those with a special black passport (special forces), NSA, feds and such...

I have both book and card... I bring the card to the DMV when I have to renew my license and they expect to see a birth record...bam....will a passport work. they love that.

also helps at job interviews for proper ID.

plus with the book, they can stamp it, the card not so much.

I work in transportation for a chemical company, and this is my understanding of the difference...

Passport cards are more for truck drivers that are crossing the borders( i.s back and forth between Canada/Mexico). I don't know if anyone can get them, but that is my understanding...

I work in transportation for a chemical company, and this is my understanding of the difference...

Passport cards are more for truck drivers that are crossing the borders( i.s back and forth between Canada/Mexico). I don't know if anyone can get them, but that is my understanding...

Anyone can get a passport card, not just truck drivers. However, unless you live on or near the Canadian/Mexico border and drive across frequently, there really isn't a point for a the average person to get the card (JMO).

Anyone may get a passport card; and yes, they were really designed for people who make frequent border crossings between Canada/Mexico.

Although there are countries that do not require a US passport for admittance, the US will require one on your return, and as already posted, you will be denied boarding on flights returning to the US without one, no matter what your emergency.

If you have an emergency outside of the country and need to fly back, you can't do so without a passport. A passport card is as worthless for this purpose as a plain piece of paper. You'd have to wait for an emergency passport to be issued.

You cannot usually, as suggested by OP,

If something were to happen at sea, could we potentially take a boat from say a port or something back to the main land and use the passport card?

The cost of that, if you could even arrange it, would be far more expensive then just getting a passport.

Can the card be used as id when flying from US territories and possesions such as USVI and San Juan?

I've had TSA and a ground person from an airline reject my Passport card. Technically, it's good for ground crossings between the US and Canada. But other times, I have used the Passport Card as an ID for domestic flights.

OP, the Passport card is virtually useless unless you travel between the US and Canada via automobile. You cannot use it to get back to the US if you're on a cruise. Don't waste the money on the PC unless you travel a lot to Canada or Mexico. I have family who live in Detroit who frequently go into Canada and use the Passport Card a lot. But for anyone else, it's really useless. Get the Passport book, or just use a birth certificate and photo ID for your cruise.

Yes, you will get home "EVENTUALLY." Here is what would happen. You would need to get to a city that has a US Consul or Embassy. You would have to pay for a hotel for a few days while you go through the process of obtaining a Passport. If you happen to have an original Birth Certificate in your possession it will help. But it can take several days, you would have the cost of hotels, meals, the Passports, Passport Photos, etc. If you lose a Passport in a foreign country it can usually be replaced in about 1-2 days. But if you do not have a current Passport on file it is not an easy process.

Hank

It's not impossible, but it is time consuming. It's not a matter of the other countries not letting you leave, it's a matter of the US not letting you back in without proper documentation.

OP, here's why I chose to get the passport, even though my cruise didn't require one. My parents are elderly. Their health is OK, but there are the occasional emergencies that require hospitalization.

My worst nightmare would be not being able to board a plane for home, when my family needs me, and sitting in a hotel in Nassau for a couple of days waiting for bureaucratic wheels to turn....or waiting out the rest of the cruise. No way on earth is it worth going through that agony to save a couple hundred bucks.

So I got it. Now I don't have to worry about it for 10 years.

Are you sure you won't be traveling out of the country at any time in the next 10 years? No more cruises? No trips to Canada or Mexico, or the Caribbean?

There is another issue here that most cruisers do not consider.

When a cruise ship visits nearly any country ,the country issues a blanket visitors visa for all passengers, based on the cruise ship visit.

When the ship departs, all the visas are cancelled.

If any passengers remain behind - for any reason - they need to negotiate a new visa.

If you miss the ship, have an accident, go into a hospital with some illness, or need to make an emergency flight home for some reason, you will need a new visa. If you have a passport, a new visa is rarely any problem.

If you do not have a passport, a new visa is frequently a problem - although I have never heard of anyone refused a visa in this case. You just end up spending more time, money, and stress getting it done. Basically, it's a case of doing it the easy way or the hard way.

• 2 weeks later...
You'll all be relieved to know that we applied for our passports this morning. I know I feel better! :D

once you,ve got your passports and returned from your first cruise ,you will reuse it as travelling the world is an enjoyable expierence for both you and your children.

theres a lot of destinations where your passport is a requirement as photo id

plus a place to stamp your entry-exit visa in

I get it, I get it!! I just hate to buck up nearly $500 for passports that may or may not ever be used again..

Phew! Now I understand why everyone in America is to-ing and fro-ing over a passport:o:o As a European I kept thinking what is the big deal:confused: just get one, but that is a really high cost. Over here it cost under $100.

Archived