The "Packing Light" method...

Aviendah

My DH and I are fluffy as well and this method does work! When you pack be sure to cross pack so if you lose a bag you will both have something to wear. I put the shoes around the edges with the soles toward the outside, put the underclothes/dope kit in the center and pack following the video. For my DH's shirts I fold the edges neatly toward the center as I layer them and no wrinkles.

Give it a try :)

Edited by kendracruises

My DH and I are fluffy as well and this method does work! When you pack be sure to cross pack so if you lose a bag you will both have something to wear. I put the shoes around the edges with the soles toward the outside, put the underclothes/dope kit in the center and pack following the video. For my DH's shirts I fold the edges neatly toward the center as I layer them and no wrinkles.

Give it a try :)

Awesome 😊I

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My packing list looks similar to this list. We take 2 medium suitcases for a 7 day cruise and both of them are 3\4 or less full. We just do laundry on the ship and therefore cycle through the same outfit twice.

A note for those who have to pack big shoes...my husband wears a 15 and so two pair takes up a lot of space. I wear a size 7.5 in women's, so I just pack one or two pairs of my shoes inside of his shoes.

If you prefer to take a larger suitcase use a smaller suitcase to make your bundles then transfer them to the larger suitcase. I did this last cruise then filled in the empty spaces with my wine, shoes, toiletries, undergarments. Just be sure to watch the weight if your flying. Worked great for us last cruise.

I use the 2-gallon ziplock bags. I fold shirts to fit as flat as possible in the bag, and slide a stack in all at once. Sit on them to get them flat. Since they all go into the bag at once, there aren't a lot of wrinkles, and they come out looking pretty good.

DH and I each take one carry-on and a beach bag for a 7 day. Will admit that he does not wear a jacket on formal night -- khakis, dress shirt and tie, and I wear the same black skirt almost every night.

OK... After viewing this video I don't see how this method would work for me. On a 7 day cruise I need the following:

*7 day time outfits (including swim wear)

* Variety of flip-flops

* Shoes for Elegant evenings 1pair

* Personals (Body wash and etc.)

* Sneakers

* Hats

etc, etc, etc....

I use packing cubes and utilize space in my shoes and whatever else is available. I tend to need a 24' in checked bag and a 22' carry-on (containing meds and jewelry items). It's clear I need a support group!

Every Woman needs room for Souvenirs.... LOL

I actually used this method to pack for Alaska this past June--I packed all of my clothing in a spinner carry on--this included jeans/fleece/sweaters/sweats. I took a second bag only because we flew Southwest and it was free. I basically had our wine and waterproof hiking boots in the second bag--I really didn't need the boots and could have fit a pair of flip flops and sandals in the carry on if needed.

I tend to fly Southwest when I fly so I just check my suitcase. However on the rare occasion that I fly another airline my concern with packing this way is my hair stuff. Mainly my flat iron. Will I be able to have this in my carry-on? Also some of my toiletries are over the 3oz allotment, most particularly my face wash. I would hate to have to go toiletries shopping once I land.

This method would be good for when we drive. There are 4 of us and we alternate between taking my car and my mom's car (dad and bro drive gas guzzling trucks..lol) Our trunks can hold 3 suitcases (2 big and a small) and a garment bag laid on top of them. Doing it this way and having carryon suitcases we can each still have our own suitcase.

I tend to fly Southwest when I fly so I just check my suitcase. However on the rare occasion that I fly another airline my concern with packing this way is my hair stuff. Mainly my flat iron. Will I be able to have this in my carry-on? Also some of my toiletries are over the 3oz allotment, most particularly my face wash. I would hate to have to go toiletries shopping once I land.

This method would be good for when we drive. There are 4 of us and we alternate between taking my car and my mom's car (dad and bro drive gas guzzling trucks..lol) Our trunks can hold 3 suitcases (2 big and a small) and a garment bag laid on top of them. Doing it this way and having carryon suitcases we can each still have our own suitcase.

I plan on buying cloth facewash, and makeup remover to cut down on the liquids. The biggest challenge is hair products and sunscreen :)

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

I plan on buying cloth facewash, and makeup remover to cut down on the liquids. The biggest challenge is hair products and sunscreen :)

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

I have Neutrogena face cloths that I use to remove makeup but, for me, nothing beats using my regular Neutrogena face wash in the morning.

I admit I had to learn how to be less high maintenance when packing for these cruises. One of the fantastic things I did recently was switch to essential oils for many things like moisturizers; it's amazing how much you can do with coconut oil. I bought cute little vials for my potions and then realized I could use them for other things. You can buy them with glass droppers or just the lid. My carry on quart bag looks really clean and organized now. I use glass vials in various sizes the largest being 2oz for flights. For hairspray I started buying 1.5oz cans from Amazon and I only need 1 for a cruise. I don't use much though.

• eye makeup remover
  • face wash
  • essential oil mixes for lotion, cuticle oil etc.
  • cinnamon syrup for my coffee :)
  • hair serums

mmP3_5W7WAprTKTX8wlPkGQ.jpg

Aroma-Eruo-Splice.jpg

Edited by Aviendah

I use a variation of this method:

I start with all of our dinner clothes, and I bundle them together like the guy on the video did. I start with my husband's pants and shirts and put my dresses in the middle. It takes me forever because i do it slowly, smoothing out all the wrinkles -- but it pays off. Nothing's wrinkled, and it really does pack a great deal into a small space.

Then I follow up with our daytime stuff rolled into little shorts-and-shirts sets, which I like because it's easy to pop them into the drawer upon arrival. Swimsuits, socks, nightgown, and other small items go in last and "fill in the cracks".

We have NO TROUBLE fitting a week's clothing into two rolling carry-ons similar to the one the guy used in the video. And that includes shoes in the bottom of the bag.

Toiletries, snorkels, electronics, jewelry and the like all go into my tote bag and his backpack. These bags then become island stop bags -- if it's a beach stop, my tote bag is perfect, whereas his backpack is ideal for touring a town.

Hints on making this work:

- Lay out everything and make sure you have everything you want to take. If you decide later that you wanted to bring your blue shirt instead of your white one, it's hard to pull out just that one item.

- Related to that: My personal rule is that if we're leaving on Saturday, the suitcase MUST be packed and ready by Wednesday. Not waiting 'til the last minute is a great way to make sure you don't leave your favorite white shorts in the dryer, and if you realize as you pack that you don't have sunscreen, you still have a couple days to hit the drugstore.

- The biggest problem with the type of packing is getting it all back in when you're ready to go home. We tend to roll dirty clothes and put them back into the suitcase -- don't just throw them in, or you won't be able to zip the bag. Another hint: Never unzip your "couple extra inches" when you're packing at home. That little bit of extra allows you a bit of leverage for packing for the trip home.

The biggest problem with the type of packing is getting it all back in when you're ready to go home. We tend to roll dirty clothes and put them back into the suitcase -- don't just throw them in, or you won't be able to zip the bag. Another hint: Never unzip your "couple extra inches" when you're packing at home. That little bit of extra allows you a bit of leverage for packing for the trip home.

This is a great tip!

I haven't read every post so this may have been said before - if you have a pre-cruise couple days or a few post cruise days - don't put all you clothes in one bundle. Make a separate smaller bundle with items chosen because they don't wrinkle easily...its a pain to unpack everything to get to the pants on the outside and a shirt in the middle. I use a packing folder to keep things i will want for those first couple days compressed, accessible, and easy to find.

for liquids try something like this - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KWBZPC/?tag=thecompleatcarry

makeup - save those freebies that you get when you buy your cosmetics. there is no reason to bring full size containers of anything anymore!

I haven't read every post so this may have been said before - if you have a pre-cruise couple days or a few post cruise days - don't put all you clothes in one bundle. Make a separate smaller bundle with items chosen because they don't wrinkle easily...its a pain to unpack everything to get to the pants on the outside and a shirt in the middle. I use a packing folder to keep things i will want for those first couple days compressed, accessible, and easy to find.

for liquids try something like this - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KWBZPC/?tag=thecompleatcarry

makeup - save those freebies that you get when you buy your cosmetics. there is no reason to bring full size containers of anything anymore!

I'm liking this thread more and more

Thanks

Never worried about breaking up my packing like this

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll go you one better -- if you're driving, that is . . .

Instead of making two bundles -- one for pre-cruise and one for cruise -- pack all your cruise clothes in your suitcase, and put your night before /pre-cruise stuff in a separate bag. Leave the cruise suitcase in your car, never bring it into the hotel, don't bother with it before the cruise. When you reach your hotel, JUST bring in your one- night tote bag, which would contain one set of PJs, toiletries, and the outfit you want to wear for boarding. If you're only staying one night, one tote bag will probably do for the whole family. Leave your dirty driving-day clothes in the car; don't bring them on the cruise.

You might need to transfer your toiletries over to the main cruise bag ... But everything else is just easier is it's in separate bags.