Magic Trans (boy it's a big ocean) Atlantic Review

capndinghy

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Gee- that just seems rather rude. And good for your husband that he doesn't need a scooter. Generally people aren't paying the extra money for a scooter just to run into you. You seem to be suggesting that people using them are somehow faking it or running a scam. Perhaps when you are not "on the young side" you will undertand. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

You mean like the times we have seen people board in wheel chairs, then be dancing throughout the cruise, and then "needing" a wheelchair to get off the ship! Have seen this on multiple cruises and cruise lines. DH even commented to one gentlement as we were getting off a ship "Wow what happened??? You were dancing every single night and now you are in a wheel chair?" The "gentleman told him to "mind his own business"! While I understand that some people are truly in need of wheel chairs or scooters, there are also a LOT of people out there who take advantage of the situation! People these days are too "politically" sensitive to criticise anyone. Just like some others here have stated, disabled and handicapped people "want" to be treated like anyone else, so then, wait in line with everyone else.

Gee- that just seems rather rude. And good for your husband that he doesn't need a scooter. Generally people aren't paying the extra money for a scooter just to run into you. You seem to be suggesting that people using them are somehow faking it or running a scam. Perhaps when you are not "on the young side" you will undertand. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

All these commercials I see on TV pretty much say they're GIVING these scooters away and insurance and medicare are paying for them... I don't know how much extra money people are actually paying :P

The thruster problem was some debris picked up in port, the 6000 hp fan in the tunnel tore things up pretty good. Not a warranty event.

I heard the same big bang and shake. I was told that sometimes the direction the ship take the swells and the tremors the waves and wind create combine to make a big bang. I asked a senior officer what happened. He said, basically, the ship, she is over 300 meters and is flexible so sometimes she rings like a bell, only is not a bell.

But, who knows? When the ships burn bunker oil, or almost crude, there is more gasoline in it than more carefully fractioned diesel fuel, and there are from time to time crankcase explosions, although I doubt this happened on the Carnival Magic on the TA. The ship was running 20 to 21 knots into a 40-48 knot wind, and it takes all of the generators to do that.

Gasoline in bunker C fuel oil? Hmmm, I don't know about that.

Also, it takes four of the six generators to get up to 20 knots, five can get her to 23, and six can get her almost to 25 knots. Windspeed is negigible on the performance of a passenger ship when taken from mostly bow-on.

Are some people rude? Yes. Is it right? No. But I once learned that two wrongs don't make a right. And it may be that what it sounds like you do is not really what it comes out like in the real world. What it sounds like is you confronting them in a way which suggests that you don't believe they need the scooter.

Let me say many people have and will ask or comment on my husbands leg. We learned to deal and go with it. Answer questions and people will ask about the leg.

And you brought up a point about you not driving great. Well a scooter is not a toy a moped is not either. Maybe when people get them they should have to do a basic how to class. I know when we rented mopeds. on the Vineyard we had too.

Ps there is a big difference from people who want and think they are disabled as compared to people who have handicaps. Most people with a handicap want to be treated the same. Being disabled is more a state of Mind and people want special treatment. I know some people need help. But a lot of people want the help and extras more than they need them.

Just a PS on taking wheelchairs onboard. I did my last cruise. I wasn't happy about it but I had two choices- join the long line or wheelchair. I was recovering from a knee replacement and couldn't stand for long periods of time. I was not allowed to walk onboard. However, I most certainly did not dance all night. Or even part of a night, although I certainly wanted to!:( I did not use it onboard however on a number of occassions I did use my cane.

Yes people are rude, and perhaps more than I tend to encounter in my everyday life. I cannot imagine anyone I know very well asking your husband, or anyone, about their handicaps. Or their disabilities. Or, for that matter, "pretending" to be disabled in order to skip lines.

Perhaps I live in a rarified world.

Just a PS on taking wheelchairs onboard. I did my last cruise. I wasn't happy about it but I had two choices- join the long line or wheelchair. I was recovering from a knee replacement and couldn't stand for long periods of time. I was not allowed to walk onboard. However, I most certainly did not dance all night. Or even part of a night, although I certainly wanted to!:( I did not use it onboard however on a number of occassions I did use my cane.

Yes people are rude, and perhaps more than I tend to encounter in my everyday life. I cannot imagine anyone I know very well asking your husband, or anyone, about their handicaps. Or their disabilities. Or, for that matter, "pretending" to be disabled in order to skip lines.

Perhaps I live in a rarified world.

Perhaps your area is Different. Boston tends to be a aggressive city with lots of now people. I have heard we were rated as unfriendly .

A lot of people look for the easy way out. They want something for free or to get special treatment. How many threads do you see on can such and such go in the platinum line because they are with me. Etc.. Or I am platinum so god must bow to me... We are very much a me society and sometimes the edge is needed. But some people have entitlement issues. And feel is suzie can do it than I should too ...

Perhaps your area is Different. Boston tends to be a aggressive city with lots of now people. I have heard we were rated as unfriendly .

A lot of people look for the easy way out. They want something for free or to get special treatment. How many threads do you see on can such and such go in the platinum line because they are with me. Etc.. Or I am platinum so god must bow to me... We are very much a me society and sometimes the edge is needed. But some people have entitlement issues. And feel is suzie can do it than I should too ...

Oh well- a New Englander for heaven's sake- no wonder!:p (I can say this since I was bred there! And love it but...) Out here in the wild west we know that if you try those games the sheriff will take you out! Well, perhaps not really. ;)

This thread is supposed to be a cruise review, not a debate on mobility scooters and their users / uses, which for most is becoming pretty tedious. If you must discuss this subject and in such a way, please could you do it on a separate thread.

Many of us were really enjoying the review, particularly me, having lost my photos and we can't wait for the return of the King!

Sorry for threadjacking then--I was enjoying the thread as well, but did want to point out about intermittent wheelchair usage. On of the drawback of a nightshift life is that I seem to miss when posts get yanked and then the thread doesn't make much sense. (For instance, the now missing author--I do hope he's able to come back??)

I'm very sorry about your camera as well--I hope at the very least your memory card shows up somehow.

This thread is supposed to be a cruise review, not a debate on mobility scooters and their users / uses, which for most is becoming pretty tedious. If you must discuss this subject and in such a way, please could you do it on a separate thread.

Many of us were really enjoying the review, particularly me, having lost my photos and we can't wait for the return of the King!

I completely agree, someone always finds a way to turn a positve and fun to read review into their own unrelated discussions.

*sniffle* Is the dear Capn coming back? I keep waiting to read the rest of the review, but he seems to be leaving us hanging here. I appreciate the humor and knowledge he injects into his review, so I'll be a little bummed if he doesn't come back to finish it :(

Archived