Sail Like a Norwegian

Got2Cruise

Every good Norwegian has a bottle of aquavit in the freezer :D.. Love pickled herring too! In fact, I could eat anything off a koldtbord, yumm...

Robin

Me, too! But I never took to aquavit. My father loved pigs feet and pigs knuckles! Ugh. And he was a master Glogg maker at Christmas.

I think this has been a very successful campaign for NCL, as the commercial is showing up everywhere. Blue Bloods and Holmes Inspection were both [deep voice] "sponsored by...Norwegian Cruise Line" this week.

NCL has a history of ads that set a mood, rather than hitting you on the head with cruise-y stuff. Here's a perfect example from the 1990s: http://youtu.be/Q2U9Q0Y2k_Y And this one from the early 1990s also is very sparing in its obvious references to cruise ships:

Someone posted somewhere that the Cruise Like A Norwegian theme will be making its way into shipboard events, like the farewell. I'm looking forward to it.

(Oh, and the "complain like an American" bit is too true!)

I am puzzled by the Norwegian reference myself. NCL used to at least stock a Norwegian beer called Ringnes. I ordered it all the time as it was a unique beer. Also, the captain would emphasize the Norwegian heritage of the line when the entire MDR was served a horned shaped Viking flute of some type of alcohol and everyone would toast. The current ownership of NCL under the private equity regime has no clue. Multiple extra surcharge restaurants is not my idea of Norwegian. They might as well change the name of the line to Surcharge Cruise Line (SCL).

Archived