Live - From the Sweltering Hot Grand Princess 11/19/11

CRLess

Do you know if the air conditioning issues was just affecting the cabins on the forward area of the ship or was it also affecting public areas and cabins in other areas of the ship?

I also hope that you get a satisfactory response from the corporate office and would be interested in knowing if/how they handle the issue.

CRLess,

I've got my fingers crossed that your AC is finally fixed :)

Our cruise is coming up in 9 days and I had a few questions for you. I am pretty sure our cruise has the same schedule as yours with the same ships on each day.

Did you dock at Crown Bay in St. Thomas? Crown Bay alongside the Eurodam. There were three ships at Havensight and one at anchor in the bay

Was St. Martin very crowded? Crowded enough. We went to the beach for a while and the walked around front street and had lunch. There were five ships there that day

What time did you arrive in San Juan? Were you on time at 4pm or did you arrive earlier? I believe we were tied up by 3-3:30PM. Also, all of the ports are one hour ahead of Eastern time, so if you were watching on the webcam, the time would not reflect East coast time

How wide are the closets? I read your post about the closet/bathroom area being different. It depends on your cabin class. My point was that the Grand's cabin layout for a balcony room is quite different from the current class (ie Ruby/Crown) as it relates to the bathroom and closet area. The bathroom is turned 90 degrees from the newer ships, which does eat up some hanging space in the closet. It has been a few cruises since we had a standard balcony, but I seem to remember the bathroom door being on the same plane as the cabin door, not perpendicular to it like on the Grand.

I appreciate all of the information you have shared about your cruise. Hope you have good luck for the rest of your time aboard the Grand!

See above responses

Do you know if the air conditioning issues was just affecting the cabins on the forward area of the ship or was it also affecting public areas and cabins in other areas of the ship?

I also hope that you get a satisfactory response from the corporate office and would be interested in knowing if/how they handle the issue.

To my knowledge only the forward cabin areas on the starboard side. I would go sit in the hallway just to cool down. Every public space was quite cool also, so it seems that it was limited to cabins only.

I was on a ship once when the air conditioning stopped working through out the ship for probably 30 minutes max (felt like 3 hours). I had no idea how much the ship depends on air conditioning because every area got very warm very quickly. Thankfully it was fixed quickly. I can't imagine going through a whole week of that.

I sure hope we don't have problems in our cabins on our upcoming sailing. My father likes the cabins as cold as possible and heat would be the one thing that would make him grouchy. I really wouldn't care much either way, I tend to keep my home a bit warmer than others and so does my sister. We are always freezing whenever we go to my parents house. We will be on the Fiesta deck so I am hoping there weren't any problems there.

We had a very hot mini (AB) on Sapphire once, it was 90 degrees and the tech tried several times to fix it, some ducting issue prevented an easy fix. After several nights we ended up moving to a vacant mini on the opposite side of the ship. The hotel manager was very helpful but it did take days.

We often book insides on cruises with hot climates because they don't have the thermal load that glass gets from sun on balconies or mini's. I have had some insides so chilly that my wife complains.

A hot cabin is a nightmare for me, being next to the laundry would be a deal killer, I would sleep on deck.

Oh my goodness. That doesn't sound good at all. I hope they get this fixed for all you cruisers. I don't know what I would do in these circumstances. I'm one who walks into my cabin and the first thing I do is set the thermostat to the lowest it will go. I tend to get hot very easy. Although I don't mind it on an island with a nice, cold drink in my hand. I have to sleep in a room that is very, very cool. I even put my AC on at home in the winter when I go to sleep at night.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and this gets fixed.

I am the same way. My poor husband freezes. :)

Our a/c went out on one cruise and it was miserable for a while until they fixed it but fortunately it was during the day and not when we were trying to sleep.

CRLess.....Wow, I can feel your pain. I NEED my AC. Hope Princess makes this a priority and gives you some compensation. Not cruising Grand until lst week of Feb. and cabin in aft but it does concern me. Also when Horizon Ct closes does IC stay open all night. If not 24 hours, what are the hours if you know? Thanks for keeping us informed. Also any experience with an old coffee card on the Grand.

I have found immediately submitting those forms for complaints in parallel to calling everyone insures the issue is handled promptly. The hotel manager must review them at some kind of staff meeting daily & follow up the next day.

We had two different cabins, one on Ahola and one on Carib both in the rear of the ship, for our recent 29 day T/A and the A/C was fine. However the toilets didn't function betwee 7:45 & 9am every day we were still on board. A really weird situation.

• 2 weeks later...
CRLess...............We'll be on the Grand next Saturday 12/3.. I'll knock on C227 door and ask how the a/c is working and report back on this thread enroute. Hopefully something was done in FLL.

High Flyer - were you able to make contact with anyone in C227? Hope you had a great cruise!

CRLess.....Wow, I can feel your pain. I NEED my AC. Hope Princess makes this a priority and gives you some compensation. Not cruising Grand until lst week of Feb. and cabin in aft but it does concern me. Also when Horizon Ct closes does IC stay open all night. If not 24 hours, what are the hours if you know? Thanks for keeping us informed. Also any experience with an old coffee card on the Grand.

I sent my letter to Princess via email and regular mail. We received a voice mail the other day from Princess acknowledging receipt of our letter and a promise to follow-up with us "soon". I also sent the letter to my TA who indicated they would escalate it with their Princess contacts. I will let everyone know how Princess resolves this matter to the extent that I can disclose.

Good Morning CRLess. I knocked on their door on three occasions but no one ever answered. I can tell you that our cabin which was on A Deck, inside just ahead of C227 was cool (69*) on full cool. I too brought a digital thermometer. Everywhere onboard seemed cool.

We had a wonderful time. Crew & food were awesome. We did miss San Juan due to some propulsion problems which slowed us down to an eight-thirty arrival time so Capt. decided to bypass SJU and arrive 2 hours earlier in St. Maarten where repairs were made.

Archived