Luggage Question

gafchic

Does anyone have any thoughts on the advantage or disadvantage of carrying your own luggage off at the end of the cruise. We are staying an extra day in Miami before we fly home so there is no rush to make a flight.

Carry on and off? What do you do with it until your room is ready? Are you able to at least leave it in your room?

Cabins are ready about 1:30. Find a table on Lido and park with some food and a drink. Carry on size luggage is not hard to keep with you until then.

If I'm not in a rush, I let them handle the bags. But I never, ever put anything valuable in checked bags. Meds, electronics, jewelry, etc. stay in my carryon. So the suitcases we leave out in the hall are pretty much dirty laundry at that point. :p

If you do need to be off early, the self-debark is pretty easy as long as you can handle all your own bags easily without assistance. Way too many folks try to lug too much stuff and then can't handle which clogs up the process.

that's too much bother for me to carry my own luggage more than i have to. also getting on the ship before 1:30 would be nice, but then you do have to carry your carry-on around with you. i've never had a problem claiming my suitcase after getting off, either.

I always leave mine out in the hallway and pick it up when I get off the ship. I have never had a problem but like the other poster said I never put anything of value in them.

When getting off, find a porter, and tip him well. He will get you to your lugage and out the door quickly.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the advantage or disadvantage of carrying your own luggage off at the end of the cruise. We are staying an extra day in Miami before we fly home so there is no rush to make a flight.

Advantage: Luggage has to be outside your cabin by 11:30 the night before debarkation. If you procrastinate, then this is not a good idea.

Disadvantage: You have to drag your luggage with you if you go have breakfast. If you have a lot of luggage, or it is heavy, I would let the porters handle the luggage and zone debark.

I prefer to carry off my luggage. I travel light, so I don't have a problem. Even though we are Platinum, we are usually in the last group to leave the ship.

Carry on and off? What do you do with it until your room is ready? Are you able to at least leave it in your room?

We time our arrival at port so that it's close to 1:30, and then just go straight to our cabin and put the suitcases under the beds until we can unpack. This keeps them out of the way of the cabin stewards, and out of sight of prying eyes (the cabin doors may still be left open by the stewards as they finish cabin preps).

I'm Platinum so I get VIP disembarkation. What a joke. Last cruise on the Legend we were put in a room too small to hold everyone and had to wait unti all passengers self debarking were off. They took forever. I'd let them take my luggage. Next cruise I'm on the deck where you debark and will be taking my luggage off with me as soon as allowed.

I'd love to do self assist, but I'm a notorious overpacker so I just leave it out the night before. Never had any problems or items stolen in my 5 cruises.

If you aren't a light packer, and as you say, have no where to be until the next day, just do regular debark and have a nice leisurely breakfast that morning, then eventually get off the ship when your zone is called.

Advantage: Luggage has to be outside your cabin by 11:30 the night before debarkation. If you procrastinate, then this is not a good idea.

Disadvantage: You have to drag your luggage with you if you go have breakfast. If you have a lot of luggage, or it is heavy, I would let the porters handle the luggage and zone debark.

Why do you drag your luggage to breakfast??? I always leave it in my cabin, eat then get my bags and walk off the ship with self assist.

You can carry your luggage off whenever you want.. if you want to carry it.. they only ask is that YOU yourself can carry it.. and not hold up lines trying to role 15 bags yourself:D We self assist and if we have a later flight leave with our ONE bag each around 9 or 930ish...;)

You can carry your luggage off whenever you want.. if you want to carry it.. they only ask is that YOU yourself can carry it.. and not hold up lines trying to role 15 bags yourself:D We self assist and if we have a later flight leave with our ONE bag each around 9 or 930ish...;)

Yes, somehow there is a confusion about self assist. While many that choose the option get off ASAP, others opt to just hang around until final call :)

My bag is usually light and has spinner wheels, so its effortless to move.

Archived