Use Carnival online booking at your own risk

Rhumbline

Why would someone not bother to officially cancel, if they wanted to cancel...and get their money back? Anyone/organization who "assumes" someone wants to forfeit $1000 is rather...um....well...not much better than a thief.

Carnival follows up with phone calls where boosting their profit is concerned, such as insurance & upsells. I guess these "assumptions of cancellation" is just another way to boost their profits......HELLO!

I just don't understand the lack of compassion towards the OP.

Ummmm, this happens ALL THE TIME in the hotel business. Ever wonder why hotels & airlines ever over book? so they can actually be FULL!

Did you forget.......Carnival can do no wrong.

Suppose the "human" TA /PVP accidentally forgets to enter the the data for final payment...or the credit card expires before final payment....and the booking gets canceled and the cabin goes to someone else. Wonder what a "Cheerleader" would say then?

Happy Thanksgiving.......

@MsTabby. How about the OP and all of us taking personal responsibility and not expecting someone, anyone to wipe our arses for us and not feeling entitled when things don't work out to our personal expectations. My lord society has turned into a "me", "i'm entitled", "I expect", bunch of sorry excuses for adults. Fortunately it seems that most on this thread agree that the OP is owed nothing and should get nothing. No one is cheerleading for Carnival here ... I would stand the same position if the targeted company was anyone, large or small --- stop expecting others to wipe your nose, your arse, or any other orifice and take responsibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You buy something on your cruise...you pay with a credit card.

You check your bill....the charge doesn't show up.

You check it for months....the charge never shows up.

So...you take personal responsibility....and call Carnival to let them know that the charge was never submitted....and although you have the merchandise or service...Carnival never received payment.

Of course...you all would do this...since you all take personal responsibility.

Just sayin'...................:)

So...you take personal responsibility....and call Carnival to let them know that the charge was never submitted....and although you have the merchandise or service...Carnival never received payment.

You wouldn't need a credit card on the cruise, just your room card.

But, to answer your supposition, yes, I would check with guest services a day or 2 after my purchase if the charge did not register. The same way I would if I was charged over the price of the item. I guess you would not.

That is not the definition of personal responsibility.

I booked four of my five cruises directly with Carnival, one by phone and the other three via their website. I've always gotten either phone calls or emails to remind me of when my final payment was due. Not to mention, I could also log into Carnival's website and pull up my reservation and see for myself.

I love Carnival as much as anyone. I have never had a problem with Carnival. I can't speak for the OP but as I read his/her post I understand that the frustration is more about the lack of customer service. I agree the OP is at fault but come on! This is not a person (based only on the post) that was saying gimme gimme but someone that said "hey, I messed up. Can you help me out?" Carnival has a record of the booking. Carnival could easily officer the OP the room at the same rate if paid in full that day. That is just OLD FASHIONED good customer service. I make mistakes often. I may purchase the wrong size/style/quantity of something (who hasn't) but would be shocked if the store just said "sorry, your fault, go away." I'll never side with someone looking for compensation for their own mistake. NO ONE would be able to run a small business with the attitude that Carnival has at times.

Originally Posted by riclop viewpost.gif

It has always been my experience that the card that you make your deposit with is the one they will charge for final payment unless they hear from you with other instuctions.

NEVER with any line.

ALL FOUR TIMES with Carnival. Maybe riclop books over the phone like I do. They just ask if the card I am using is the one that I will use to make final payment. Never knew the auto payment was an option. I knew I could pay it off early but figured they wanted a backup.

ETA: No one need to pay any attention to me since I only have 23 posts :P

Last year 3.5 million cruised with Carnival. Based on double occupancy that adds up to about 1.9 million reservations. If a reminder call had to be made to each of those people it would be about 5,000 calls per day, 365 days per year. Seems to me that about 100 "reminder agents" whose sole job is to make 50 or so calls a day would have to be hired and paid in order to accomplish this.

This assumes that no one makes the final payment. The truth is that it probably does not happen anywhere near often enough that one or two people couldn't handle the call volume. Making my own assumption, I would think that most that cannot make the final payment notify Carnival and those the just do not make the payment simply forgot. Carnival could charge a service fee to comp for the two extra employees :rolleyes:

Have you noticed??? The OP gives absolutely NO INFORMATION of dates, cruise etc????

Your right! OP is probably an employee of NCL trying to trash Carnival. LOL, I love these type of posts almost as much as the "they only have X number of posts" comments.

This assumes that no one makes the final payment. The truth is that it probably does not happen anywhere near often enough that one or two people couldn't handle the call volume. Making my own assumption, I would think that most that cannot make the final payment notify Carnival and those the just do not make the payment simply forgot. Carnival could charge a service fee to comp for the two extra employees :rolleyes:

Your right! OP is probably an employee of NCL trying to trash Carnival. LOL, I love these type of posts almost as much as the "they only have X number of posts" comments.

And the OP hasn't even returned to this site since 1:30 A.M. Yesterday!

Please close this useless thread.

And the OP hasn't even returned to this site since 1:30 A.M. Yesterday!

Please close this useless thread.

Please feel free to bypass this thread if you think its useless.

While I try to keep track of final payment dates on our cruises, its nice

that our PVP emails and calls us about 3-4 days prior to final payment.

It usually due about the second week of Dec and with the holidays things

can get hectic. She asks if we want to use the same credit card or

a different one from the deposit card.

I like having our PVP and would love to recommend her if it were allowed.

I haven't read all the answers, but I do find it strange that they wouldn't send out a reminder or two or have a system that forces you to choose a payment date and credit card (in case you want to change). The OP is probably not the first to forget to pay, AND this would cause the cruiseline to lose a lot of reservations... unless that was their intention... in keeping your deposit and re-booking at a higher price but doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

It's good info as not everyone is experienced, so some, like me, appreciate the warning. I was just talking to DH yesterday that we could have just booked with Carnival directly since we didn't get any different pricing from the online agent we used, so next time we'll know about this step.

[/color]

Please feel free to bypass this thread if you think its useless.

While I try to keep track of final payment dates on our cruises, its nice

that our PVP emails and calls us about 3-4 days prior to final payment.

It usually due about the second week of Dec and with the holidays things

can get hectic. She asks if we want to use the same credit card or

a different one from the deposit card.

I like having our PVP and would love to recommend her if it were allowed.

First, the OP has disappeared.

2nd, How many times can we say it's the OP's fault

3rd how many times can we say a PVP does this or that

First, the OP has disappeared.

2nd, How many times can we say it's the OP's fault

3rd how many times can we say a PVP does this or that

First, the OP could still be eating turkey, or away for the holiday.

2nd, as many as people want, or not

3nd, same as 2nd

I haven't read all the answers, but I do find it strange that they wouldn't send out a reminder or two

Assumption on your part. For all we know Carnival sent the notifications but the OP ignored them Assuming Carnival would take the money automatically.

@Frank. Another very good point, this is also why they only record the last 4 digits of your card during funpass checkin. When charging some or all of your cruise through their systems, the number and security code are used "real time" for the transaction with your card company/bank, and I do not believe they are not saved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not anymore - since the recent upgrade the new Online check in now asks for the entire credit card number.

To the OP -

FYI - Royal Caribbean DOES NOT automatically charge your credit card for your final payment either. So I suggest that you don't book with them either excepting them to automatically charge your credit card.

You can add EVERY cruise line to that list. None will automatically charge your card for the final payment if you made the booking online.

Assumption on your part. For all we know Carnival sent the notifications but the OP ignored them Assuming Carnival would take the money automatically.

For what we know the OP did not get any notification. That is not saying OP really did not but going by the post he/she did not. Seems to me you are screaming assumption while throwing assumptions of your own out. But that is just my observation. :D

My experience was the opposite, when i booked my cruise I was expecting to only make a deposit. It wasnt until i looked at my credit card balance did I figure out I had been charged for the whole thing. :rolleyes:

It all is the same in the end I suppose. I only use the card to get frequent flyer miles so....just got the miles sooner. :D

It happened to two of my friends when we booked our next cruise.The booking automatically defaults to "full amount" and you have to click "deposit only". My friends didn't notice it when booking. They were not financially prepared to pay the whole thing right away so they called Carnival and got a refund on their credit card. Carnival rep said it is done very often. Really, they should have no option selected and not let you proceed with booking until you click which one you want.

I booked on line with Carnival in August. My final payment was due Nov 22- we are a group of eight going - no one got any reminder emails. Last cruise I took with Carnival, I called and booked it and asked if my credit card would be used for final payment (I was assuming it would as that's what happened in the past when we booked with a travel agent) and she said "no, you have to call us back before final payment due date". So if it wasn't for me booking our past cruise with a Carnival rep over the phone and asking a person this question, I might have been caught with a cancelled reservation as well.

Firstly, never assume. It's up to you to make sure your trip is paid for in full.

Secondly, $1,000 deposit??????:eek: Where were you going, the moon?

Just as aside as I read through this thread, we're booked on the Spirit's 17 day Hawaii to Sydney trip an the deposit for our family of 4 was $2000.

For what we know the OP did not get any notification. That is not saying OP really did not but going by the post he/she did not. Seems to me you are screaming assumption while throwing assumptions of your own out. But that is just my observation. :D

The OP never mentions it one way or another. This is rather strange as you would expect no notification to be part of his complaint.

Nice try though.

The tone of your post seems to indicate you don't think people would be honest.

I've never had this happen with Carnival but have had it happen with other places I shop. Yes I do go back when the charge doesn't show up. It's not hard to be honest when you know how.

Most people would be ticked if anyone charged their card automatically for anything without expressed consent, and might even contest the charges. So why would Carnival do this? Why couldn't you take care of this yourself? I don't get it. Where was YOUR oversight? Most people I know would bend over backwards to make sure everything was taken care of themselves. You didn't. And now you gripe about it? Hmmmm....

Archived