Do Ships Not Blow Their Horns At Night?

will773

Coast Guard regs say horn must be sounded when altering to port, altering to starboard and operating astern. Nothing is required for sailing forward unless overtaking another vessel or danger. "Horns on ships are not toys, they are international signals for communication while at Sea!"

(DH is retired Coastie and laughed at some of the responses on this thread!)

Your hubby is indeed correct..........and the reason the vessel maynot have been sounding the thier horns leaving port is becuase there may have been other vessel traffic in the area and the pilot/Master did not want the fun horn stuff to be confused as a navigation signal!

AKK

Coast Guard regs say horn must be sounded when altering to port, altering to starboard and operating astern. Nothing is required for sailing forward unless overtaking another vessel or danger. "Horns on ships are not toys, they are international signals for communication while at Sea!"

(DH is retired Coastie and laughed at some of the responses on this thread!)

did your retired coastie ever have to pass the rules of the road exam? Close but not complete (and would have failed on one of my rules exams)

cuz one should be aware of the differences 'tween the US inland rules and the international rules where the meaning of one short blast differs significantly. He's refered to International rules, which do not apply in most US ports. See Rule 34

There is a US inland rule that applies - it states that a ship "is leaving a dock or berth, she shall sound one proloned blast."

That's ONE by the way ..... ONE .... not six times as they pass the bars along the channel on Port Canaveral . . .

I agree that "Horns on ships are not toys, they are international signals for communication while at Sea!" A ship's whistle or 'horn' is not the same as the horn on your car despite the fact that some ship's masters use as such. If you blow your car's horn at will at any time in any situation there's no problem unless a police officer decides you've broken some other sound ordinance.

However, the ship's whistle is 'codified' both in the US and 'internationally'. The International Rules of the Road hold a meaning to the use of a ships whistle. Legally it is a signalling device defined in law.

When you use your car horn to be 'cute' or annoy a supposed transgressor you only risk a sound violation.

When a ship deviates from the approved sound signals they risk being in default in a maritime investigation following an incident. Cases HAVE been decided on this point.

References

US Navigation Rules and IMO recommendations as accepted

did your retired coastie ever have to pass the rules of the road exam? Close but not complete.

cuz one should be aware of the differences 'tween the US inland rules and the international rules where the meaning of one short blast differs significantly. He's refered to International rules, which do not apply in most US ports. See Rule 34

There is a US inland rule that applies - it states that a ship "is leaving a dock or berth, she shall sound one proloned blast."

A ship's whistle or 'horn' is not the same as the horn on your car despite the fact that some ship's masters use as such. If you blow your car's horn at will at any time in any situation there's no problem unless a police officer decides you've broken some other ordinance.

However, the ship's whistle is 'codified' both in the US and 'internationally'. The International Rules of the Road hold a meaning to the use of a ships whistle.

When you use your can horn to be 'cute' or annoy a supposed transgressor you only risk a sound violation.

When a ship deviates from the approved sound signals they risk being in default in a maritime investigation following an incident. Cases HAVE been decided on this point.

Ship's in a horn duel are akin to you driving thru your neighborhood blowing your car horn. Annoying to some but potentially a liability

References

US Navigation Rules and IMO recommendations as accepted

Thanks for the info, Cpt. Interesting.

Love Melbourne, btw. Have friends there--it's beautiful.

Stacy, I NO WAY meant to be condescending. I felt Ocean boy had taken a jab at DH who DID NOT post a reply. Did get defensive. Just married a long time and very proud of DH's 30 years of Service to his Country. Sorry.

I know now why I lurk here instead of posting. I haven't got the tough shell required to participate on these boards!

Capt. BJ, Please look carefully at my screen name. You will know it has nothing to do with cruising and everything to do with pride in my Husband. He did not / does not post here. I had meant my post to be a snap shot on when ships sound there horns. Not trying to pass my ATON exam. I know you are proud of your Service and attained rank. I too am proud of our life achievements. Fair Winds.

Stacy, I NO WAY meant to be condescending. I felt Ocean boy had taken a jab at DH who DID NOT post a reply. Did get defensive. Just married a long time and very proud of DH's 30 years of Service to his Country. Sorry.

I know now why I lurk here instead of posting. I haven't got the tough shell required to participate on these boards!

Capt. BJ, Please look carefully at my screen name. You will know it has nothing to do with cruising and everything to do with pride in my Husband. He did not / does not post here. I had meant my post to be a snap shot on when ships sound there horns. Not trying to pass my ATON exam. I know you are proud of your Service and attained rank. I too am proud of our life achievements. Fair Winds.

Aboat: Okay, I apologize then, truly. We were just wondering why we didn't hear the horn blow, as nearly all other ships blow theirs upon departure, even in the dark. No hard feelings, hopefully?

No, I wasn't taking a jab at your husband. And if you thought so then I appologize for that. You just seemed to be flaunting the fact that you must be right and were laughing at us because you are married to coastguard man and the rest of us were just ignorantly talking about ship's horns.

By the way, I have plenty of respect for the service. Grandfather was a retired naval captain and my father a naval commander.

Maybe it's broke>:rolleyes:

On our Nov. 6th transalantic we ran into think fog at the end of cruise. The horn sounded every 3 min. It is such an awesome sound. It went on for quite a long time too. So we know it's not broken! Oh it didn' blow when we pulled out of any of the ports that I know of.

Legally it's required... However I've never really seen any enforcement action for failure to do so but some companies will get after their crew for failing to. Mostly it's just for grins as ports are now secure areas and you don't have to worry about some clown in a boat cutting near you.

Your post is not accurate. First, there are several conditions where sound signals are not required. Second, it's not mostly just for grins (other than the standard greeting/salute). In the case of the Navigator, if they are moored with the bow facing the port opening, there isn't much need for the sound. The sound signal would be required when backing (3 short blasts).

Unfortunitly.......... .NO......a ships whistle is steam powered............almost all ship today used Air.

According to definition (USCG Navigation Rules), a "whistle" means any sound signaling appliance capable of producing prescribed blasts. The ship's horn is commonly, and correctly, referred to as a whistle.

Your post is not accurate. First, there are several conditions where sound signals are not required. Second, it's not mostly just for grins (other than the standard greeting/salute). In the case of the Navigator, if they are moored with the bow facing the port opening, there isn't much need for the sound. The sound signal would be required when backing (3 short blasts).

According to definition (USCG Navigation Rules), a "whistle" means any sound signaling appliance capable of producing prescribed blasts. The ship's horn is commonly, and correctly, referred to as a whistle.

Yes there is... to keep us all happy.;):D

Legally it's required... However I've never really seen any enforcement action for failure to do so but some companies will get after their crew for failing to. Mostly it's just for grins as ports are now secure areas and you don't have to worry about some clown in a boat cutting near you.

You ever watched the web cams at Port Everglades or Port Canaveral?, there are always boats coming in and out of the ports, very often on a Sunday coming back into PC we will pass the cruise ships on their way out, always contact them on VHF to see which side they want us to pass.

You ever watched the web cams at Port Everglades or Port Canaveral?, there are always boats coming in and out of the ports, very often on a Sunday coming back into PC we will pass the cruise ships on their way out, always contact them on VHF to see which side they want us to pass.

Exactly. Light signals and/or radio concurrance can be made in lieu of sound signals.

Maybe it's broke>:rolleyes:

Maybe they got complaints from people on the mini-golf course.;) I think that I'm referring to a TV commercial that was Royal Caribbean, back when their commercials were fun.

OK, so I just checked the current captains thread. It appears that this dud Navigator captain that doesn't like blowing the horn is Capt. Standal. Considering when he started this rotation I think Capt. Nyseter may be on the week that I am looking at. He was our captain when we were on Adventure and had the awesome sail-a-way with Ocean Village from St. Maarten.

Rest assured Navigator's horn will be blowing once more when HE takes back over this ship!:):):):):)

OK, so I just checked the current captains thread. It appears that this dud Navigator captain that doesn't like blowing the horn is Capt. Standal. Considering when he started this rotation I think Capt. Nyseter may be on the week that I am looking at. He was our captain when we were on Adventure and had the awesome sail-a-way with Ocean Village from St. Maarten.

Rest assured Navigator's horn will be blowing once more when HE takes back over this ship!:):):):):)

I think I'm going to have this dud (LOL) captain, aren't I? Feb. 26th.

I think I'm going to have this dud (LOL) captain, aren't I? Feb. 26th.

Captain "D" ;) took over the ship on Oct 16. If they are on a typical 4 month rotation you may have Capt. Nyseter. Not only did I like him because of his heavy finger on the botton:p, but he held a really good captain's corner meeting up in the Viking Crown lounge. I found him very personable and he seemed to really enjoy being asked intelligent questions about the ship and answering them.

Freedom always blew her horn when leaving this year. On Mariner it didn't happen, just the first day. Captain Trym on Radiance always blew the horn when leaving, so I guess it depends on the Captain too. And if you get caught in fog in the early morning standing outside on the helipad, still pitch dark outside and the horn blows every other minute, it sounds very spooky :D

Cindy

Archived