Driving around Kauai

driverandrews

Hi, we are travelling from the UK next year and are doing a week in Kauai and then a weeks cruise on PoA, We will be hiring a car whilst in Kauai would we need a Sat Nav or is the Island really easy to get around? Thanks

The car rental maps should be fine. The signage around the island is great. If you make a wrong turn its easy to get back on track.

BTW, on Oahu our friend had a Tom-Tom device. On our way to the Punch Bowl, it had us driving into a residential area of small shanties. When it said you have reached your destination, it totallly got us lost! we all got a chuckle out of that.

It is simple to drive around Kauai, well marked roads, and small area. A week would be too much for me. :)

In Honolulu- it can be difficult driving, since street names are heavy on the long "K" similar looking street names. :) Pull over and ask or look closer at a map, driving until you do reorientate. :) It's an island, you don't get far without realizing where you are. Don't schedule you time too tight and a Hawaii visit will be excellent.

Car rental maps are excellent, I don't use any other on my multiple, yearly trips.

Hi, we are travelling from the UK next year and are doing a week in Kauai and then a weeks cruise on PoA, We will be hiring a car whilst in Kauai would we need a Sat Nav or is the Island really easy to get around? Thanks

You shouldn't need a Sat Nav on your rental car & a better investment would be to purchase the best guidebook for each island which would be "Kauai Revealed" for you. The information & maps are great but use caution because conditions can vary creating dangerous conditions. It's one of the reasons locals don't like the book plus it brings too many tourists to 'secret' locations which are 'revealed'.

I don't know if car Sat Nav systems use the same signals but my cell phone navigation had no signal in many locations in Kauai.

We took our GPS - it included maps of Hawaii. I preprogrammed it with most of the places we wanted to go. It was funny how it tried to pronounce some Hawaiian names! We laughed so much I think it got mad and gave us some whacky directions at times (like heading for the airport and it wanted us to get off a few exits before the airport signs). All in all it was handy.

All the major islands as a rule are pretty easy to navigate except for Honolulu. There are exceptions but a single main road along the edge of the island, and on many islands it doesn't even go around, Kauai is notable for that.

Very easy and almost impossible to get lost. As others noted the free car rental map is your best resource and pick up one of the many tourist rags and you'll have everything you need.

Archived