London to Heathrow - really expensive

sandyh422

Was just in London and did exactly what K8T suggested. It was £34 for a R/T Heathrow Express ticket, and £20 for a taxi (I was staying near Tower Bridge).

I think you are getting mixed up.

Its £34 return per person return on the Heathrow Express and probably £20 per person one way for two people sharing a private car to Tower Bridge in the cheapest cab.

At the moment the main flyover going into London from Heathrow is down for the next 3 or 4 months so any vehicle based solution into London is even slower and less predictable than normal.

For South Kensington the Underground solution is the most convenient, quickest and cheapest option of the lot if you don't have more than one large suitcase per person.

Getting the trains to Paddington for South Kensington is non-sensical as its nowhere near South kensington you have to double back the way you came. You'd either have to get the Underground from Paddington 5 stops or get a black taxi from the station rank about £10-£12.

There is little point in doing individual 'it worked for me' solutions for London as London's hotel districts are so spread out and what works to one hotel district from Heathrow is totaly useless for others.

South Kensington is one of the closest hotel districts to Heathrow. It really only makes sense to either use the Underground or get a private car for the Earls Court, Gloucester Road and South Kensington districts.

The Heathrow Connect and Heathrow Express trains go nowhere near this area and are more expensive and slower than the cheap private car solution with people like Just Airports that offers a door to door service.

The hotel shuttle operation suffers from lack of customers, basically because its just about the most expensive option bar a black taxi from the airport rank and run so infrequently. Its gone out of business about 3 times in the last 4 years and is kept afloat only because a couple of major US tour operators subsidise the operation and use it for all their customers - and guess whio gets priority in drop off routes.

At the moment the main flyover going into London from Heathrow is down for the next 3 or 4 months so any vehicle based solution into London is even slower and less predictable than normal.
For anyone who knows the London road network a bit, I should clarify that the affected flyover is the Hammersmith flyover and not the elevated section of the M4. And the Hammersmith flyover now has one lane open in each direction for light vehicles (including taxis), so the situation is not as bad as it was.

If the M4 elevated section were closed, there would be vastly more chaos!

For South Kensington the Underground solution is the most convenient, quickest and cheapest option of the lot if you don't have more than one large suitcase per person.
For South Kensington, I would recommend changing from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Barons Court (or Hammersmith in the morning peak or during inclement weather) and going to South Kensington that way. While, as SteveH2508 says, there are stairs to be negotiated at South Kensington whichever line you use to get there, I think that it's a bit easier to get out from the District/Circle Line platforms than from the Piccadilly Line platforms.

I would recommend changing from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Barons Court (or Hammersmith in the morning peak or during inclement weather) and going to South Kensington that way. While, as SteveH2508 says, there are stairs to be negotiated at South Kensington whichever line you use to get there, I think that it's a bit easier to get out from the District/Circle Line platforms than from the Piccadilly Line platforms.

Barons Court is certainly the place to change trains from the Piccadilly to the District Line that is very close to the surface or runs along the surface in Kensington..

See You Tube clip below.

£20 for Heathrow to Tower Hill is probably an hours journey.

A licenced mini cab will be paying about £3.50 in sales tax and between £3-£5 in car parking fees at Heathrow assuming the cab is licenced and not doing illegal pick-ups.

Once you factor in fuel that leaves about £8-£9 for the driver for at least 2 hours of their time below the legal minimum wage. It simply dosen't add up.

Hence the reasoning for doubting this should be published without challenge.

Would someone explain the advantages/disadvantages between the Heathrow Connect and the Heathrow Express-

Thanks

Heathrow Express: 15-minute journey, no stops.

Heathrow Connect: 25-minute journey, stops.

HC is about half the cost of the HEX.

Heathrow Express: 15-minute journey, no stops.

Heathrow Connect: 25-minute journey, stops.

HC is about half the cost of the HEX.

The Heathrow Connect is also less frequent, especially on Sundays and doesn't go to Terminal 4 or 5 (although ironically you can use the Heathrow Express trains from Terminal 4 and 5 as a free feeder service for the Heathrow Connect at Terminals 1 and 3)

The Heathrow Connect is also less frequent, especially on Sundays and doesn't go to Terminal 4 or 5 (although ironically you can use the Heathrow Express trains from Terminal 4 and 5 as a free feeder service for the Heathrow Connect at Terminals 1 and 3)

Thanks for info.

So the trains are the same style- no difference in luggage handling?

We are actually going the evening before the flight to stay at an airport hotel. What is the best way to get from Heathrow Express/Connect to airport hotel( Rennaisannce) Would it be easier to get the hotel transportation from any specific terminal? Is it necessary to get the tickets well in advance for the Heathrow Express/Connect or just get them at Paddington Station when we get ready to go?

This is great to have experienced people to answer questions. Thanks again

Thanks for info.

We are actually going the evening before the flight to stay at an airport hotel. What is the best way to get from Heathrow Express/Connect to airport hotel( Rennaisannce) Would it be easier to get the hotel transportation from any specific terminal? Is it necessary to get the tickets well in advance for the Heathrow Express/Connect or just get them at Paddington Station when we get ready to go?

In terms of train styles, no, I don't believe there is any substantive difference.

The Renaissance is within the free bus zone for Heathrow, an area where city buses are free of charge - see map here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/heathrowterminals123-13970.pdf . From this map, looks like your best bet is to get off at the Terminals 1, 2, 3 station and get the bus from the Central Bus Station there.

Thanks for info.

The Heathrow Connect was originally put on for airport workers getting to work, the Heathrow Express the ultimate way in terms of comfort and speed for people flying to get into Central London.

Technically the Heathrow Express is more plush than the Heathrow Connect. Being the cynical person I am I think a lot of it is marketing smoke. I've only used the Heathrow Express a couple of times but been very unimpressed. On both occassions the train was much more full than when I travelled on the Heathrow Connect and things like quiet areas in reality had screaming kids in them with train staff doing nothing to stop such behaviour.

Really it comes down to price, some people are willing to pay nearly double for travelling 10 minutes faster and having things like free wi-fi on the train. and like the convenience of the more frequent departures.

The Renaissance is very convenient, just outside the main entrance to the airport.

You have a choice of transit between the hotel and the Heathrow Connect/Express station. There is no free hotel shuttle.

You can either get the Hotel Hoppa bus, a dedicated hotel midi-bus that goes every 20 minutes between the hotel and Terminal 3, (the best Terminal for the station). This currently costs 4 GBP per person, 7 GBP return. The bus also visits 2 other neighbouring hotels and gets very crowded at the peak morning times when everybody is checking out.

The alternative is to walk 50 yards to the public bus stop in front of the Renaissance. Buses run to the Central Bus Station about every 2 or 3 minutes and are free. From both Terminal 3 and the Central Bus Station its a fair walk, though luggage trolley friendly deep underground where the platforms are using lifts.

Does the Heathrow Express have stairs only or is there an escalator? We are staying in Paddington and walkable distance from the Heathrow Express so it seems silly to take a cab...

HC and HEX use the same platforms, so this applies to both. On the Paddington end, the platforms are level with the concourse, so you can literally push your luggage trolley to the door of the train. On the LHR end, I seem to remember a lot of ramps - all I know is, there again, you can push your luggage trolley to the entrance of the platform.

Really it comes down to price, some people are willing to pay nearly double for travelling 10 minutes faster and having things like free wi-fi on the train. and like the convenience of the more frequent departures.
You can't divorce frequency from travel time like that. The lower frequency means that the average travel time on the Heathrow Connect is roughly double that of the Heathrow Express.

By the time that you add in the time you need to get from Paddington to any other central London destination, Heathrow Connect + onward travel probably takes about as long as the Tube from Heathrow, if not longer.

I have lots of experience of going from my office near St Paul's to Heathrow. Going to Paddington + Heathrow Express was routinely about 10 minutes faster than just taking the Tube all the way. (I have decided, on that basis, that it's normally not worth the money to use the Heathrow Express to save 10 minutes.) If I had added another 22 minutes (average) for the Heathrow Connect, the Tube would have been both faster and cheaper.

I imagine all options would be equal in safety too. I was a little concerned at first about having to walk to our hotel from Paddington Station and be tourist targets with all of our heavy luggage, but our hotel is very close on London St. and since we won't be coming in at night, I figured we'd be okay.

I imagine all options would be equal in safety too. I was a little concerned at first about having to walk to our hotel from Paddington Station and be tourist targets with all of our heavy luggage, but our hotel is very close on London St. and since we won't be coming in at night, I figured we'd be okay.

Never heard of a London Street at Paddington - which hotel?

Regards safety you won't have a problem in Paddington, especially during the daytime.

Sussex Gardens in Paddington has a bit of a reputation for prostitutes at night, but I think you would in reality have to be seeking them out for most people to notice. With the usual common sense precautions you should feel safe walking around all of the central parts of London day or night.

This isn't an American city after all.

Never heard of a London Street at Paddington - which hotel?

Regards safety you won't have a problem in Paddington, especially during the daytime.

Sussex Gardens in Paddington has a bit of a reputation for prostitutes at night, but I think you would in reality have to be seeking them out for most people to notice. With the usual common sense precautions you should feel safe walking around all of the central parts of London day or night.

This isn't an American city after all.

Hotel Indigo. It's a smaller hotel really close to the station. I don't think I've ever been to the Paddington area of London. I've usually stay in Kensington or the last time I was there in Canary Wharf. I primarily chose this hotel because the price was right and I wanted to have an easy ride to Heathrow with all of the luggage we'll have for our cruise. We have an early flight (7 am) and I was actually a little concerned about getting there in time because Heathrow Express doesn't start running 5am. But I asked about that and everyone said as long as I got the first train I'd be fine.

I lived and worked in Manhattan for years so I am pretty aware of my surroundings in cities, my husband though is another story. This will be his first time outside of the US besides the Caribbean.

Hotel Indigo. It's a smaller hotel really close to the station. I don't think I've ever been to the Paddington area of London. I've usually stay in Kensington or the last time I was there in Canary Wharf. I primarily chose this hotel because the price was right and I wanted to have an easy ride to Heathrow with all of the luggage we'll have for our cruise. We have an early flight (7 am) and I was actually a little concerned about getting there in time because Heathrow Express doesn't start running 5am. But I asked about that and everyone said as long as I got the first train I'd be fine.

I lived and worked in Manhattan for years so I am pretty aware of my surroundings in cities, my husband though is another story. This will be his first time outside of the US besides the Caribbean.

The Hotel Indigo is only about 150 yards from the station.

Your only problem with safety is going to be traffic. Its a busy one way road with comparatively narrow pavements with lots of small convenience shops, fast food outlets etc so dragging luggage is going to be short and tedious but perfectly safe at all times of the day and night

Never heard of a London Street at Paddington
London Street runs past the eastern side of the station, and across Praed Street towards Sussex Gardens.

If you're taking a taxi to Paddington to get the Heathrow Express, the junction of London Street and Praed Street, on the north side of Praed Street, is a brilliant place to get dropped off. You only need to walk down the ramp into the station and you're pretty much opposite the HEX ticket office. It beats going around the houses to get into the official drop-off spot, from where it's still a considerable walk to the HEX platforms.

London Street runs past the eastern side of the station, and across Praed Street towards Sussex Gardens.

If you're taking a taxi to Paddington to get the Heathrow Express, the junction of London Street and Praed Street, on the north side of Praed Street, is a brilliant place to get dropped off. You only need to walk down the ramp into the station and you're pretty much opposite the HEX ticket office. It beats going around the houses to get into the official drop-off spot, from where it's still a considerable walk to the HEX platforms.

Globaliser, I think you've got mixed up as well.

London Street is the street that runs down the western side of Paddington Station.

I don't think a taxi would drop you off at the corner of London and Praed Street given the road layout and the station taxi rank is only 50 yards away off London Street. Presumably most black cabs would respond to dropping you off by the ramp though.

Not sure of the relevance to the Indigo Hotel which is down the Sussex Gardens end of London Street . Quicker to walk.

Globaliser, I think you've got mixed up as well.

London Street is the street that runs down the western side of Paddington Station.

Shall we let Google Maps settle this, boys?? :)

Map of Paddington Station

Indeed, London Street does appear to be on the eastern side, the opposite one from the taxi rank.

Globaliser, is it my imagination, or did taxis used to go down that ramp to drop off passengers? I seem to remember seeing that years ago when I was a semi-regular traveller to the area (early '90s).

Thanks, Twickenham!

Globaliser, is it my imagination, or did taxis used to go down that ramp to drop off passengers? I seem to remember seeing that years ago when I was a semi-regular traveller to the area (early '90s).
I can't remember, to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me. However, the top of the ramp (where the three white cars are in this satellite photo, just by the erroneous locator for WH Smith) is now barred by a metal barrier. However, taxis will still drop you off by that metal barrier, near where those white cars are.

Thanks, Twickenham!I can't remember, to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me. However, the top of the ramp (where the three white cars are in this satellite photo, just by the erroneous locator for WH Smith) is now barred by a metal barrier. However, taxis will still drop you off by that metal barrier, near where those white cars are.

Yep, Twickenham, London Street is the Eastern side, my mistake.

I didn't look at a map but just thought of Indigo Hotel's position which I mistakenly thought was in the street on the western side of Paddington - so given the exchanges assumed this was London Street.

I made reservations with Heathrowshuttle.com about a month ago for one way transfers for two, just going to London instead of out of London. I think the price is the same either way.

It cost 28GBP for two people. They do hotel pick-up and drop-off.

Archived