Out of my lanai chair!!

GatorV

More like walking too close to a neighbor's house. A far cry from the bona fide public promenade decks of the Vista class ships.

I cannot understand why anyone would condone the privatization of public areas on the ship.

igraf

It is still a public walk around deck: anyone can go for a stroll. :rolleyes:

I agree that it can be a little confusing with the chairs setup the way they are. I was on the Rotterdam last month and I enjoy sitting on the promenade deck and reading. None of the deck chairs were occupied, so I was just about ready to park myself in one, when I noticed that they were spaced different than what I was used to. I didn't see the little signs mentioned earlier but then I wasn't looking for them. I finally figured out with the spacing that they were outside each lanai cabin, rather than set up for other pasengers to use. I didn't want to take some one else's chair so I went towards the front of the ship and parked myself on the bench that is provided. That was fine with me, but most of the time that I was out there on the bench, probably at most about a 1/4 of the chairs were being used at any given time. It would have been nice if they had a few of the chairs set up for the other passengers that were not in the Lanai staterooms, but I did not see that aboard the Rotterdam, but I may have missed them. It was a TA and I enjoy reading so I spent a lot of time on that bench, also the bench in the front of the ship and the bench in the rear of the ship. I don't mind the bench as it is comfortable enough for me, but I know some people really prefer that cushion when they are sitting.

More like walking too close to a neighbor's house. A far cry from the bona fide public promenade decks of the Vista class ships.

I cannot understand why anyone would condone the privatization of public areas on the ship.

igraf

Yes, you have to say constantly, excuse me, to pass each other, because some of these clowns brought out some furniture out of their cabin and enjoy lunch on their 'balcony'...

I'm really starting to worry if we made a 24-day mistake :|

You shouldn't feel that way. Just go and take the cruise as it comes and if someone does plop themselves dopwn and you're wanting to use the chair a polite word will usually more than do the trick.

Is there anywhere for non-lanai passangers to sit in a deck chair in the shade and see the sea? Perhaps another deck? Thanks for the help. I'm really starting to worry if we made a 24-day mistake :|

Well, how about the covered side portion of the Lido near the pool where you may sit in the shade, while enjoying something to eat/drink and "see the sea" through the glass "wall"? ;)

Well, how about the covered side portion of the Lido near the pool where you may sit in the shade, while enjoying something to eat/drink and "see the sea" through the glass "wall"? ;)

I don't recall there being the lounder type deck chairs there but that would be great if there are. It's been several years since we were on Maasdam. My husband has knee issues and needs to get his knees straightened out if he sits for long, but he can usually stretch out in the Crow's Nest. I'm the one who really likes to see the sea.

Thanks for the suggestion. m--

We have on occasion (every cruise) moved our chairs on LP to a better area if needed, have you...(Sir PMP) considered this?

Husband takes one arm me the other, no dragging. better location and still not in anyones personal space.

You seem very rabid on the subject of these deck chairs and lanai guests using them...seems an easy solution. All views can't be blocked can they? Maybe they can and if so sorry for the suggestion

AND not to make you angier, but have you ever just sat in one then got up if needed?

Privatization of public areas refers to the private deck chairs in front of the lanai cabins and also to the private cabanas up on top (as on the Signature class ships).

"Privatization" in this context refers to deck areas, previously freely available to all passengers, which is now assigned to particular passengers and to which all other passengers are excluded.

igraf

Other than inside a cabin or bathroom, is a ship public or private? ;)

Privatization of public areas refers to the private deck chairs in front of the lanai cabins and also to the private cabanas up on top (as on the Signature class ships).

"Privatization" in this context refers to deck areas, previously freely available to all passengers, which is now assigned to particular passengers and to which all other passengers are excluded.

igraf

Right on!

And what's with breakfast in the Pinnacle being only for suite guests?! And the MDR lunch on embarkation day only for Mariners?! Discrimination, I tell ya!! :rolleyes:

Archived