Miami Hotel - Hampton Inn and Suite - Brickell

lotus land

We have not stayed at this particular property, but did stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Miami last year. In future, we'll avoid the downtown/Brickell area hotels. They are a wasteland on weekends, and esp. on Sundays, when everything appears to close down. For a one-nighter, in and out, I'd stay near the airport. Just MHO.

Compare this relatively new hotel to other downtown Miami hotels popular with cruisers - Hyatt, Intercontinental, Holiday Inn (mixed reviews), and both the Marriott and Doulbetree Biscayne Bay. ;)

Staying near the MIA airport is an option, especially if your flight arrives later in the day and you are only interested in dinner and a clean, safe room. Check out hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, Sofitel, Homewood Suites and others) - all offer free MIA airport shuttles and have dining and shopping options within walking distance.

Good luck! :)

We have not stayed at this particular property, but did stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Miami last year. In future, we'll avoid the downtown/Brickell area hotels. They are a wasteland on weekends, and esp. on Sundays, when everything appears to close down. For a one-nighter, in and out, I'd stay near the airport. Just MHO.

Interesting how we all have different perspectives.

My wife and I enjoy staying in the downtown area on Brickell Avenue. We are walkers so we walk long distances. On weekends we enjoy the area even more and find with less traffic it's even more enjoyable. At the same time we can take a cab over to say South Beach.

I'm not saying either one is right or wrong but for my wife and myself the downtown area works perfectly.

Keith

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Our flight get in at 7 am on Friday and depart at 8:00 am the following Sunday. Will keep checking prices for the other hotels mentioned.:)

Arriving that early I'd choose either a downtown Miami or a Miami Beach hotel - they can hold your bags if your room is not available which will let you explore, grab brunch, etc. A taxi from MIA to most downtown Miami hotels will cost about $26+tip - to South Beach hotels about $32+.

My wife and I enjoy staying in the downtown area on Brickell Avenue. We are walkers so we walk long distances. On weekends we enjoy the area even more and find with less traffic it's even more enjoyable. At the same time we can take a cab over to say South Beach.

I'm not saying either one is right or wrong but for my wife and myself the downtown area works perfectly.

Keith

The Brickell Area is one of the more happening areas in Miami right now. Lots of young professionals, bars, restaurants, popping up.

Keep in mind that a year ago that wasn't the case as much as it is now.

BlueHerons, glad to hear it as we love the area. We have stayed there in early 2007, 2010, 2011 and we will be there this month.

For us there is lots to do and there are many places to visit and lots of great restaurants.

There are many restaurants that we enjoy near Mary Brickell Village along with several others on Brickell. From where we stay we can walk to many other places so it works so very well for us.

We will look forward to any and all additions that have been made since January of this past year.

Keith

Arriving that early I'd choose either a downtown Miami or a Miami Beach hotel - they can hold your bags if your room is not available which will let you explore, grab brunch, etc. A taxi from MIA to most downtown Miami hotels will cost about $26+tip - to South Beach hotels about $32+.

JohninDC, Thank you for your suggestion. I'll keep looking at hotels in this area.

Keith

Keith--DH and I are walkers, too! On the Saturday in question, we spent the day at Carnaval on the Mile in Coral Gables (had a blast!), and then walked almost all the way back to the Four Seasons because we couldn't find a cab. Thank goodness for the bus! Our complaint was that there were very few places to eat or get a coffee, other than in the hotel, either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. The desk clerk's comment that we could order room service breakfast didn't sit well with DH, who is "cost-adverse" to paying $50+ for breakfast! But if we all liked the same things, life would be pretty boring! ;)

But if we all liked the same things, life would be pretty boring! ;)

Lawgrrl, I agree with you 100%. It great that we have choices and like you I always feel that if we all liked the same thing life would truly be boring.

There are a couple of places within about a five minute walk but I am not sure how late they are open late Saturday night or very early Sunday morning. I know some serve coffee but not sure the times. About a 10 minute walk from the hotel is Mary Brickell Village and right adjacent to there are various restaurants where one could have breakfast.

Anyway, the good things about Miami is there are lots and lots of places to stay depending on what one wants from say South Beach to downtown Miami to Key Biscayne and so forth.

Keith

BlueHerons, glad to hear it as we love the area. We have stayed there in early 2007, 2010, 2011 and we will be there this month.

For us there is lots to do and there are many places to visit and lots of great restaurants.

There are many restaurants that we enjoy near Mary Brickell Village along with several others on Brickell. From where we stay we can walk to many other places so it works so very well for us.

We will look forward to any and all additions that have been made since January of this past year.

Keith

Downtown was so overbuilt due to lack of zoning and overzealous developers that for several years, those new high rises stayed empty. That brought in a lot of squatters and crime.

Now, most of those buildings are rented to young professionals and it has brought a thriving business to the Brickell area.

We arrived in Miami yesterday afternoon and are once again staying downtown.

I'll give you a contrast of Miami.

For several years, they took down many of the lower to mid-rise buildings and replaced them with much larger buildings ranging from hotels to condominiums to office buildings.

When we stayed downtown in 2007 Brickell and some other adjacent areas looked like Dubai with all of the cranes and construction underway. Fast forward to January of 2010. Buildings completed, very little construction, but because of the real estate bust many empty. Returned again this past January along with now.

There are still vacancies but this area looks better than ever.

For those considering the downtown area a very nice place to go in the evening for dinner is near Mary Brickell Village. There are lots of restaurants in that area as well as other nighttime places. At the same time there are some very nice upscale restaurants on Brickell Avenue along with some moderately priced places.

What you don't have is the beach. However, we like the area and find it quiet in the evenings.

Keith

Thank you everyone, just booked Hampton Inn and Suites using Hilton MVP (advise from another thread on this board) paid just under $200.00 also includes breakfast :)

Keith 1010, any recommendations for reasonable places to eat would be appreciated.

Thank you everyone, just booked Hampton Inn and Suites using Hilton MVP (advise from another thread on this board) paid just under $200.00 also includes breakfast :)

Keith 1010, any recommendations for reasonable places to eat would be appreciated.

You will be near the Mary Brickell Village and there are many restaurants adjacent to that area at varying price points. One of our favorites is Perricone's which is an italian restaurant.

Keith

Okay after reading the comments, a group of 3 couples stayed there on Friday 3 and a 4th joined us on the Sat. night, before our cruise on Sunday a.m. It is right beside the free people mover to get downtown. The hotel is new and the rooms exceeded everything we desired... The free buffet breakfast was always eing replenished. The front desk staff are extremely helpful and full of cost saving tips... around the corner is a Publix to buy wine of sodt drinks for your cruise, they arranged transportation to the cruise at $15.00 per person I think..... My wife enjoyed the exercise room with plenty of equipment... free wi-fi is always handy i todays world..... we had friends stay at the Intercontinental same weekend, were disappointed as they always had to have their wallets out,, $15.00 to use exercise equipment extra charge for wi-fi,,,,,, everything had an extra charge.... Hampton will be our new hotel of choice in Miami in the future, a great hotel and a great price as we booked early

Just booked a cruise in April out of Miami and will be staying at the Hampton Inn, (at the Blue Lagoon). Sounds as if Miami has changed a lot since I moved from there back in the mid 80's.

South Beach was still predominantly older hotels with retired folks living in them and a lot of kosher bakeries and butcher shops.

Wolfie's was THE place to eat (way north of South Beach)!! I doubt that it still exists.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Miami has become.

Just booked a cruise in April out of Miami and will be staying at the Hampton Inn, (at the Blue Lagoon). Sounds as if Miami has changed a lot since I moved from there back in the mid 80's.

South Beach was still predominantly older hotels with retired folks living in them and a lot of kosher bakeries and butcher shops.

Wolfie's was THE place to eat (way north of South Beach)!! I doubt that it still exists.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Miami has become.

The Rascal House was shut down around 2006 to make way for a high rise that never happened. The one in South Beach was shut down around 2002.

Of course Miami has changed a lot but the crime isn't near what it was.

• 2 months later...

We're thinking about booking the Hampton Inn Brickell for our fall cruise. We stayed at the Hilton Downtown Miami last year and although the hotel was very nice, we really didn't like our choice for breakfast. We could've paid for the restaurant in the hotel (which wasn't cheap) or go across the street to Hardees and be bothered by bums begging for money. Can anyone tell me if the Hampton is a better choice? The price is close to the same but it includes breakfast. How much is a cab ride to the Port of Miami? Is it fairly close to restaurants and Bayside market? Any info would be appreciated.

We're thinking about booking the Hampton Inn Brickell for our fall cruise. We stayed at the Hilton Downtown Miami last year and although the hotel was very nice, we really didn't like our choice for breakfast. We could've paid for the restaurant in the hotel (which wasn't cheap) or go across the street to Hardees and be bothered by bums begging for money. Can anyone tell me if the Hampton is a better choice? The price is close to the same but it includes breakfast. How much is a cab ride to the Port of Miami? Is it fairly close to restaurants and Bayside market? Any info would be appreciated.

I'd like the answers too. I'm staying there next month pre cruise.

You'll enjoy a free breakfast at the Hampton - not great but better than Hardees. :o Cab to POM should run about $12+tip. Lots of good local dining options close by in the Mary Brickell village area. :cool: You could walk to Bayside Market for chain dining options :( (Hooters, Chilis, etc.) in the daytime in about 10-15 minutes; after dark I suggest using a taxi to return to your hotel.

You are really going to love the Hampton Inn Brickell, they have done an outstanding the job with the property. It has a five star feel, without the five star downtown Miami price.

To get to Bayside, take the free Metromover located right behind the hotel. Walking to and from stations and walking to Bayside if you so choose is safe at night. Weekdays it gets a bit desolate after midnight and on the weekends after 2AM.

If you don't want the free breakfast at the Hapmton, the best breakfast downtown is at Deli Lane, an easy stroll from the Hampton.

Saludos,

Yogi

Archived